Lite on DVD DL RW (Lite-On SHW-160P6S)

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SHW-160P6S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey, Having problems with my DVD writer, wondering if any one has had the same problem? When I first put in the DVD the green light comes on, and after about 3 sec it starts going, tic tic tic tic tic. Also is it because I have it set up as the master and the DVD reader as the slave? Are lite-on good drives.

Thanx Help much appreciated.

[QUOTE=ronboe;2233879][qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SHW-160P6S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey, Having problems with my DVD writer, wondering if any one has had the same problem? When I first put in the DVD the green light comes on, and after about 3 sec it starts going, tic tic tic tic tic. Also is it because I have it set up as the master and the DVD reader as the slave? Are lite-on good drives.

Thanx Help much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I have liteon and they work just fine…not your particular model but my liteon units have worked well for me. Also that tic noise is result of it trying to read bad media. Maybe you should try to switch to verbatim and see if that problem goes away. Also make sure your FW is updated and you clean your laser lens as well. MS and SL setup won’t do that but make sure your using 80 pin cable not the old 40 pin cable. What kinda of dvd did you use that is making that noise would also help to diagnosis the problem??

[B]Thx for responding[/B], I bought Maxwell DVD RW sony DVD-R, and some other brand of DVD+R just won’t do squat. The verbatim, and 80 pin stuff flew over my head. MAMA, no seriously I know the bare minimum about hardware. I have it out of my computer now but when I would go into my computer,and click on the icon it would open a blank window, when normally you get a insert disc promt. Oh yah how do you manually clean the laser, because I thought that might have been the problem. Also Roxio tagged it as a CD-ROM
drive, and Nero tagged it as the everything drive. OH, and the Maxwells were DVD+RWs

[B]Ok one more shout out,[/B] does anyone know if it matters if the DVD reader, or DVD writer have to be set up as slave or master. Also I found out verbatim is a brand.

Is that drive the only one on the cable?? Try the drive in another computer to see if to see if it works or not in reading pressed dvd media. That will at least tell you if the drive is still working or not.

[QUOTE=ronboe;2233923][B]Thx for responding[/B], I bought Maxwell DVD RW sony DVD-R, and some other brand of DVD+R just won’t do squat. The verbatim, and 80 pin stuff flew over my head. MAMA, no seriously I know the bare minimum about hardware. I have it out of my computer now but when I would go into my computer,and click on the icon it would open a blank window, when normally you get a insert disc promt. Oh yah how do you manually clean the laser, because I thought that might have been the problem. Also Roxio tagged it as a CD-ROM
drive, and Nero tagged it as the everything drive. OH, and the Maxwells were DVD+RWs[/QUOTE]

Here info on 80 vs 40 pin cable
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

On cleaning laser lens
http://www.ehow.com/how_2036275_clean-lens-dvd.html

That should be a start at least.

Reason why to use Verbatim is that it’s one of few media people would use that works well in either 4.7G or 8.4G capacity. Also it is problem free compared to alot of media out there. Also it gives better burns and playback.

http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/hardware/hd_jumpers.html

On drives connect to 80 pin cable you have to set one of the jumper to MS and the other to SL otherwise it won’t read or write correctly without it. Otherwise some if it is the only drive some will work without the jumper set to either settings and some will require you to set the jumper. So check with the manufacture of your drive as each drive might be set differently from the other drive model.

And again, Thanx CoolColors you answerd a question I had without me even asking it.