Lite-On drives recongnized as SCSI!? Don't have SCSI

I have 2 Lite-On drives, an LDW-451S DVD/RW drive and an LTR-40125S CD/RW drive. They were working fine for a while then one day after a reboot, they are suddenly recognized in Device Manager connected as SCSI drives. This motherboard doesn’t even have SCSI on it. I cannot burn anything on either drive, but it can read from them, everything fails (all media types). I’ve tried removing the devices from Device Manager and rebooting, but XP picks them back up again as the same thing.

One other odd thing is that Device Manager shows 3 CD drives and I only have 2 connected. The third comes up as “Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CD-ROM Device”. I have no idea what this is and everytime I remove it, it’s gets reinstalled on the reboot.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Mike

Oh yeah…haven’t OC’d either of these drive. Factory firmware…

Have you recently installed any CD related software?

Also does your mother board have a 3rd and 4rth IDE channel. Some boards have the option of “RAID” on those channels and if you enable it on the bios, they’ll be picked up as “SCSI”. Also would explain why they donn’t work anymore… Just a thought.

if you have alcohol 120% on your system, the scsi drive will be a virtual drive created by alcohol, it’s recognized as a scsi drive

No 3rd/4th IDE, it’s a Biostar M7NCG Pro.
No Alcohol installed either.

I would suggest some form of copy software, or copy protection emulator has loaded the scsi driver in and it’s interfering. Possibly even DVD player software? I do know that some DVD’s used to come with their own DVD software player.

Have you upgraded your motherboard/IDE drivers, or run Windows Update? Windows Update may be set to automatic, and possibly updated drivers wihout asking?

I’d probably suggest “System restore” to restore to a few days ago, before the problem became what it has.

Hmmm…Interesting points. Windows update is not on automatic and I usually review each install before I let it go in…Don’t remember anything about IDE drivers.

I did have Daemon tools installed as a virtual CD drive emulator. I uninstalled it and my mystery 3rd CD-ROM drive disappeared from Device Manager (now makes sense to me what that was), however the 2 real drives are still coming up as SCSI.

I do have all the factory software installed (Burning, DVD player…etc.) so maybe I’ll pull all that and start over. I’d hate to do a system restore because of potentially losing some other stuff.

Thanks!!

delete them in the device manager, reboot and see if they’re detected normally.

Originally posted by mhurley
[B]Hmmm…Interesting points. Windows update is not on automatic and I usually review each install before I let it go in…Don’t remember anything about IDE drivers.

I did have Daemon tools installed as a virtual CD drive emulator. I uninstalled it and my mystery 3rd CD-ROM drive disappeared from Device Manager (now makes sense to me what that was), however the 2 real drives are still coming up as SCSI.

I do have all the factory software installed (Burning, DVD player…etc.) so maybe I’ll pull all that and start over. I’d hate to do a system restore because of potentially losing some other stuff.

Thanks!! [/B]

System restore affects only the windows and program files folders and the user settings.

Documents and downloaded files should not be affected.

System restore will usually create restore points at the following intervals if it is activated.

• First Startup of everyday
  • Install of any programs or drivers.
  • Uninstall of any programs or drivers.

So if you use system restore, there should be a system restore point for the day/ a few days before you had the trouble. I suspect that the virtual scsi device driver from demon tools may be the culprit.

Maybe you can reinstall a current version? and then uninstall. It might recognise the previous driver left in the system and replace it. Then when it’s uninstalled will do it correctly.

Also, to remove a device properly, it should be done in safe mode, if possible.
However, some devices don’t turn up in the device manager in safe mode. Annoying but true.

Originally posted by eltino
delete them in the device manager, reboot and see if they’re detected normally.

Also windows XP seems to have a nasty habit of caching drivers.

So if it’s detected something incorrectly once, it will forever do it incorrectly. I found THAT out the hard way when windows confused a DXR3 Hardware DVD decoder with a TV tuner card and I accidentally installed the wrong driver to the wrong device :expressionless:

Very true debro, But I was simply suggesting simple trouble shooting. The system restore suggestion is also a good one, but in addition I would suggest that he backup whatever information he may have of importance. I have had instances when a restore point is used and then the windows OS currupts due to virus or other unatural means. He may want to try to use the “driver roll back feature” this too may help. Not sure that he’s tried it… At any rate. Good luck. Trouble shooting windows problems is always fun.:rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue: :Z

I would uninstall the entire IDE controller and reboot to force a reinstall of the driver, that works in most cases.