Lite-on dh4o1s BD-ROM not waking up after sleep in Vista64

vbimport

I bought a Lite-On BD-ROM DH4O1S yesterday at fry’s . I immediately updated it to the latest firmware (CP56). It replaced an Asus DVD-ROM reader. I reused the same SATA and power connection.

Now, when I put my Vista 64-bit SP1 to sleep, and wake up the machine, the BD-ROM disappears. The power does not come back to the drive. The tray won’t open when pressing the button.

The only way to get the drive to come back is to shutdown the machine and restart it. Then it gets power again.

This is a deal-breaker for me as I like to put my machine to sleep and wake it up, not restart it from scratch.

Any idea what’s going on ?

FYI, I have an Antec 450W PSU, 4 optical drives (3 SATA, 1 IDE), 2 SATA hard drives, Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, and 4 GB DDR2-800.

I can’t imagine running out of power since I didn’t add a drive but merely swapped the DVD-ROM for the BD-ROM. The DVD-ROM was waking up from sleep just fine on the same SATA port and same power connector.

Do I have a defective Lite-on drive ? I am almost ready to return it to Fry’s but would welcome any suggestion before I do so.

[QUOTE=madbrain;2066042]I bought a Lite-On BD-ROM DH4O1S yesterday at fry’s . I immediately updated it to the latest firmware (CP56). It replaced an Asus DVD-ROM reader. I reused the same SATA and power connection.

Now, when I put my Vista 64-bit SP1 to sleep, and wake up the machine, the BD-ROM disappears. The power does not come back to the drive. The tray won’t open when pressing the button.

The only way to get the drive to come back is to shutdown the machine and restart it. Then it gets power again.

This is a deal-breaker for me as I like to put my machine to sleep and wake it up, not restart it from scratch.

Any idea what’s going on ?

FYI, I have an Antec 450W PSU, 4 optical drives (3 SATA, 1 IDE), 2 SATA hard drives, Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, and 4 GB DDR2-800.

I can’t imagine running out of power since I didn’t add a drive but merely swapped the DVD-ROM for the BD-ROM. The DVD-ROM was waking up from sleep just fine on the same SATA port and same power connector.

Do I have a defective Lite-on drive ? I am almost ready to return it to Fry’s but would welcome any suggestion before I do so.[/QUOTE]

Just curious if you use the shut down mode if you have the same problem. I never use the sleep mode.

[QUOTE=etp;2066050]Just curious if you use the shut down mode if you have the same problem. I never use the sleep mode.[/QUOTE]

As I stated already, if I shutdown, then the drive gets power back upon reboot. This is just not viable for me. I only use shutdown when I install new stuff. I like to keep my programs open. Sleep/wake up saves a tremendous amount of time. The PC comes back up in about 5 seconds from where you left off. It’s a big power and time saver. Any device that can’t work with this doesn’t belong in my PC.

But I’m somewha tsurprised, I would think this sleep mode would be more the responsibility of the OS / motherboard / PSU. And it all worked with my other drive. Can’t imagine what’s wrong with this one.

I have a dual boot with XP. So I tried it. No problem there with sleep and resume. It’s a bug in Vista 64. I don’t know why it happens with the BD-ROM but not the Asus DVD-ROM.

I switched the Gigabyte controller from IDE mode to AHCI mode. I reinstalled the drivers for the controller in Vista. I am using the MS SATA drivers since the Gigabyte drivers are so buggy. Now the problem with resume/sleep is gone.

[QUOTE=madbrain;2066183]I have a dual boot with XP. So I tried it. No problem there with sleep and resume. It’s a bug in Vista 64. I don’t know why it happens with the BD-ROM but not the Asus DVD-ROM.

I switched the Gigabyte controller from IDE mode to AHCI mode. I reinstalled the drivers for the controller in Vista. I am using the MS SATA drivers since the Gigabyte drivers are so buggy. Now the problem with resume/sleep is gone.[/QUOTE]

Did you update your drivers at the Windows update site?

Just noticed you have 64 bit. I had driver problems with 64 bit versions of XP, but the programs screemed and the machine ran very fast on 64. I just could not deal with the driver problems.

I updated the drivers from the Windows site, yes. and it did not help.
I have another update. Switching to AHCI on the Gigabyte controller did not completely help. After resume, it brought power back to the drive, ie. I could open and close the tray by pressing the button.
But the drive was still no longer visible in Windows :frowning:

The only thing that finally fixed it was to put the Lite-on drive on the ICH9R controller of the motherboard instead. I swapped it wither another optical drive which works fine on the Gigabyte controller, including sleep/resume. All my other optical drives do. Only the Lite-on has the problem. Very strange.

I have been mostly happy with Vista 64-bit. I wouldn’t go back to XP. But this bug was definitely puzzling.

[QUOTE=madbrain;2066710]I updated the drivers from the Windows site, yes. and it did not help.
I have another update. Switching to AHCI on the Gigabyte controller did not completely help. After resume, it brought power back to the drive, ie. I could open and close the tray by pressing the button.
But the drive was still no longer visible in Windows :frowning:

The only thing that finally fixed it was to put the Lite-on drive on the ICH9R controller of the motherboard instead. I swapped it wither another optical drive which works fine on the Gigabyte controller, including sleep/resume. All my other optical drives do. Only the Lite-on has the problem. Very strange.

I have been mostly happy with Vista 64-bit. I wouldn’t go back to XP. But this bug was definitely puzzling.[/QUOTE]

Well, it took a little work to get mine up.

Updated Power DVD before it would do anything. Then it did not like my DVI connection from my video card. It would only play analog over VGA. I guess my video card is not ready for prime time with DVI and BD playback.

XFX Ge force 8400 GS

[QUOTE=etp;2067946]Well, it took a little work to get mine up.

Updated Power DVD before it would do anything. Then it did not like my DVI connection from my video card. It would only play analog over VGA. I guess my video card is not ready for prime time with DVI and BD playback.

XFX Ge force 8400 GS[/QUOTE]

FYI I’m using an 8600GT. Can’t remember which brand. It’s a dual DVI card. But I have one VGA monitor (Dell 20.1" LCD, 4:3, 1600x1200) and one digital (Chimei 22" LCD, 16:9, 1680x1050). The BDs play fine on either one.

Actually the Dell supports DVI too, but I have a KVM switch and some of my other devices which are on a KVM switch are VGA only. So I use the Dell in VGA. There is no difference in picture quality.

[QUOTE=madbrain;2067963]FYI I’m using an 8600GT. Can’t remember which brand. It’s a dual DVI card. But I have one VGA monitor (Dell 20.1" LCD, 4:3, 1600x1200) and one digital (Chimei 22" LCD, 16:9, 1680x1050). The BDs play fine on either one.

Actually the Dell supports DVI too, but I have a KVM switch and some of my other devices which are on a KVM switch are VGA only. So I use the Dell in VGA. There is no difference in picture quality.[/QUOTE]

Ordered a new card from BB so it should be here by Friday. The salesman said BD does not work on DVI to DVI. :rolleyes:

Hi,

[QUOTE=etp;2069812]Ordered a new card from BB so it should be here by Friday. The salesman said BD does not work on DVI to DVI. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Well, he is half-right. BD requires a video card and a monitor with HDCP support. But this can be accomplished either through a DVI connector or HDMI.

However, if you use software like AnyDVD, you won’t be subject to this limitation and you will be able to play BDs on any monitor. My Chimei doesn’t do HDCP and I use it over DVI. I can also play BDs on my Dell with analog VGA.

[QUOTE=madbrain;2066042]Do I have a defective Lite-on drive ? I am almost ready to return it to Fry’s but would welcome any suggestion before I do so.[/QUOTE]

I am running into another problem with my Lite-on. It’s not reading some Blu-ray discs from Netflix that read just fine in my LG GGW-H20L . It doesn’t even detect that they are inserted. The discs are not scratched. It works fine for DVD still. So this drive is going back to Fry’s.

got a link to FW for this?

With this not being a ‘Home Entertainment’ piece of hardware, I moved it to ‘Blu-ray and HD DVD Hardware, Software and Blank Media’ forum ;).

Well, he is half-right. BD requires a video card and a monitor with HDCP support. But this can be accomplished either through a DVI connector or HDMI.

However, if you use software like AnyDVD, you won’t be subject to this limitation and you will be able to play BDs on any monitor. My Chimei doesn’t do HDCP and I use it over DVI. I can also play BDs on my Dell with analog VGA.

Ok, I could not get this to work on my Dell 24" moitor on DVI to DVI. Found out my Dell 24" was not HDCP ready. Upgraded my Any DVD to HD version and all is good in Simpsonville.
My other Video card was fine. Now I have an extra video card. ARGH!
I may be able to use this as an excuse for a new monitor for fathers day.

[QUOTE=madbrain;2071025]I am running into another problem with my Lite-on. It’s not reading some Blu-ray discs from Netflix that read just fine in my LG GGW-H20L . It doesn’t even detect that they are inserted. The discs are not scratched. It works fine for DVD still. So this drive is going back to Fry’s.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever get this issue resolved?

[QUOTE=redman0570;2103189]Did you ever get this issue resolved?[/QUOTE]

No. The Lite-oon drive went back to the store, and that was the end of it. I haven’t purchased another drive. I decided that 1 computer BD drive was OK for now, and the LG GGW-H20L works well enough.

[QUOTE=madbrain;2066042]I bought a Lite-On BD-ROM DH4O1S … Vista 64-bit SP1 … [/QUOTE]
I bought the OEM version of this drive and installed it yesterday, but 64-bit Vista can’t find a driver for it. Where did you find the drivers for it?

[QUOTE=mja492;2103533]I bought the OEM version of this drive and installed it yesterday, but 64-bit Vista can’t find a driver for it. Where did you find the drivers for it?[/QUOTE]

I didn’t run into that problem. No drivers should be needed for drives, only for the controller they are on.

[QUOTE=madbrain;2103707]I didn’t run into that problem. No drivers should be needed for drives, only for the controller they are on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. Vista was reporting an “Unknown device”, which I thought was the new BD-ROM drive. However, when I realized that the SATA port the new drive was on was disabled, and enabled it, Vista found it without a problem. The unknown device was a leftover issue from long ago. :o