Lite-On DH403S - anybody else have one?

vbimport

Hello folks,

I bought my first Blu-Ray burner over Christmas, Pioneer’s BDR-208D, and I thought I’d grab another drive on the cheap that was capable of doing quality scans. The UK market is absolutely flooded by Lite-On’s DH403S BD-ROM drives, so I went for that one, and a spindle of Xlayer BD-Rs, as I’d read that they seem to work pretty well with the BDR-208D.

The quality scan results I’m getting look perfectly acceptable (I think), except that there’s a random, massive spike every few gigabytes - the LDC jumps to over 10,000 and the BIS to 24 (sometimes a bit less).

I’m thinking that this is perhaps a quirk with the drive, as it has happened with all 6 discs I’ve burned so far, and the transfer rate tests are always smooth with no speed drops. Also, you can scan a disc twice and the spikes will occur in different places, which implies that the disc isn’t at fault.

So, I was just wondering if anyone else has one, and if they’ve noticed similar behaviours? Lite-On don’t appear to acknowledge that this is one of their drives - from what I can gather, it looks like they made them for OEM PCs about three or four years ago. Doesn’t seem like there’s any chance of firmware updates. The obvious answer is to buy another BD-R for scanning purposes, but until then…I’m curious!

Another weird thing about the DH403S - it doesn’t appear to detect PI failures when scanning DVDs. That section of the graph is always empty. It seems to detect PI errors just fine.

DH-4O3S (it’s not zero in model name, but letter “O”) is an OEM-version of iHOS104. It is made not with MTK chipset, it uses Sunext chipset and it is (IMO!) very unreliable scanner - it can make 10 completely different scans of same disc in a row! DH-4O1S is not very good scanner, but it’s (IMO!) much better than iHOS104 and uses MTK chipset. iHOS104/DH-4O3S reads scratched discs slightly better, though…

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2719565]DH-4O3S (it’s not zero in model name, but letter “O”) is an OEM-version of iHOS104. It is made not with MTK chipset, it uses Sunext chipset and it is (IMO!) very unreliable scanner - it can make 10 completely different scans of same disc in a row! DH-4O1S is not very good scanner, but it’s (IMO!) much better than iHOS104 and uses MTK chipset. iHOS104/DH-4O3S reads scratched discs slightly better, though…[/QUOTE]

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar! That’s more information than I could have hoped for, and I agree entirely with your conclusions. Thanks very much - I’ll be getting another burner to use for scanning when I can.

[B]daveskillin[/B], you’re welcome! Look for iHBS112/212/312 - it’s the best choice for scanning. :wink: