LITE-ON concerns

vbimport

Well I just built my computer (I’ve built quite a few) and I have two LITE-on drives. A DVD-ROM (SOHD-16P9SV ) and DVD Burner (SHW-160P6S ), the problem I’m having is, I believe, with the drives. I’ve checked the dvd I’m installing from and it’s scratch free and smudge free and it’s a retail original. Everytime I go to install the game, I get the blue screen of death. I can’t locate the drivers or firmware updates off of the Lite-on website. I’d like to try to update those before moving on.

Has anyone else had problems with either drive and installing from a DVD?

I’ve installed several programs from CD disc with no problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Take the drive out and install in a friend’s machine and see if it does the same thing. If it does then you know that you have a dud drive. If it doesn’t then there could be many things wrong like, poor ide ribbon cable connection or fluctuations in the power supply etc…etc…etc…

I’ll swap out the drives tomorrow and see how that works, I’ve got a good power supply and doubt that may be it.

Thanks

First off, the chances that the problem is two simultaneous failed drives is more than pretty remote (I’m assuming these are either new or previously working drives). I’m confused re: your post. It sounds like the drives work ok, just not with this one game disc? Is this correct?
Before you get too deep, try the offending disc in another pc, like your friends…do you get the BSOD?
Do you have both drives on the same cable? I would definitely swap out the cable as stroppy suggested.
You don’t need any drivers in windows xp (again, a guess here since you just built).

For official litey fw:

For the SHW 160P6S:
here
For the SOHD-16P9S :
here
For others and lots of good stuff, check out the liteon forum:
here
and
here

Roxio/adaptec CD software installed?

A silly question, but you have installed all the relevant drivers for all devices … no overclocking?
Ram has been moved around a few slots / etc?