Lite-on combo sohc-4836k?

i used to be able to burn/read at 1x on nero/alcohol. i “upgraded” the firmware so it now adds “SPK2” to the device name.
is this a bug? what if i want to be able to read/write at 1x (i kinda have obsessive-compulsive tendencies)?
so.
i also haven’t seen this drive here in the forum. i tried to search for it here.
i also tried googling it. it gives me the compaq/hp “upgrade” firmware.
any suggestions?

sorry, it was the dead of night when i composed that post.
i’m currently using an HP Pavilion a1020d. came with these:
Pentium4 2.93gHz
256 MiB RAM (upgraded it to 512MiB)
Samsung SP0812C 80.1 GB Hard Drive
and, of course the Lite-On Combo SOHC-4836K.

and it’s weird. it says on the sticker on the side of the CPU
"48x32x16x48x
CD:48x write, 32x rewrite; 48x read max speed
DVD:16x read max speed"

now, the lowest speed at which i can burn onto media is 4x.
and that’s (so far) only on Maxell MQ CD-RW (with the orange cover, 1x-4x certified)
on other brands, like imation and verbatim CD-R’s, the lowest i can go is 12x.

i’m sort of a perfectionist, and a performance freak. and i want EXACT copies of my discs. i’m just worried that, at 12x, when my computer suddenly and unexpectedly does something CPU-intensive, problems would arise.

by the way, i got the firmware upgrade from hp.com. straight from their support section. before i installed it, my drive was capable of reading AND writing at 1x (care of Alcohol 120% and Nero 6). after the upgrade, i found out that the lowest i could go was either 4x(for the maxell CD-RW) or 12x (for everything else).

read speeds, too. i set nero 7 to 1x read speed. yeah, i got 1x, but it kept going up (spinning faster) till it reached my drive’s max read speed.

i would want to get full control of my drive once more.

can anybody help me? just point me in the right direction.

Let it burn at the max speed. You are more likely to get errors at 1x.

Hi,

This is absolutely normal for Liteon drives.

i’m just worried that, at 12x, when my computer suddenly and unexpectedly does something CPU-intensive, problems would arise.
That’s why any recent CD/DVD writer has a “Burn Proof” feature. Also, 12x CD-writing does not need much bandwidth, so any recent computer should be able to handle this without problems.

Michael

thanks!

i’m assuming that this “burn-proof” feature is SMART-BURN, which i see as an option before burning into media?

well anyway, it’s reassuring to know that my situation’s normal.

thanks again.