Lite-on Combo LTC-48161H & Burn4Free w/ Winzip Data Error (cyclic redundance check)

vbimport

Hi all,

This is my first post to a forum, if I make an error - please let me know, so I know for future. :slight_smile: I have posted in this forum as it is a combo question and not sure if it is the hardware or the software that is causing problems. :confused: If anyone has any ideas about the following I would be most appreciative.

Receiving error:
Cannot copy XXXX Files: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

System error showing on:
HP Pavillion
Microsoft XP Home Edition SP2
Unit: HP DVD Writer 640b (Standard)

AND:
Receiving error:
Cannot move Files: Corrupted Files
(System freezes when I try to move them now)

System error showing on:
Toshiba Notebook M2 MSPA010A0M05
Microsoft XP Professional Edition SP2
Unit: MATSHITA UJDA750 DVD/CDRW

These files were originally burnt to CD using the following:
Hardware: LITE-ON Combo LTC-48161H
Software: BURN4FREE (Version unknown)
CD: TDK 700MD CD-RW80HS HighSpeed 4~12x Multi Speed Compatible
Files: Work files Zip compressed using WINZIP (current version)

Additional Info:
Burn4Free requested that the CD be finalised (though it is a CD-RW)
2 seperated DISCS are coming up with the error.
2 seperate systems reject the TWO discs.
The files don’t seem to be corrupted (checked the system first)

The originals are no longer available (the system was formatted last evening).

Question: Is it a compatibility error between the 4 originals systems - WinZip, Burn4Free, Drive AND CD?

Is there a way to fix the Zip file so even a section of the data can be retrieved?

I truly appreciate any advice. I wasn’t sure where to ask this question, and I apologise in advance if I am in completely the wrong area. :o Thankyou to all that read this! :bigsmile:

Regards,

~mystik~
edited

Welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile: I’m sorry to hear about your situation. :frowning:

When you get a CRC error, it means that the drive is encountering physical problems reading the data off the disc. This is not related to software.

1/ Does the 48161H read it back? LiteOn drives are good burners and good readers (good error correction), so the 48161H might be your best bet for reading the disc. The HP 640b is based on a LG drive, and I’m not sure how good it is at reading difficult-to-read stuff. And usually slimtype laptop drives are not as tolerant when reading, either.

2/ How long ago was this burned? CD-RW media is generally harder to read than other media types, and if you burned this data a while ago, that can compound the problem as CD-RW media is less stable than other media types. You should never use RW media for permanent or long-term data storage.

3/ As for recovering files from a ZIP… you can only retreived undamaged files. If any part of a file is damaged, you cannot recover it. If you have problems getting any of the files out with WinZip, WinRAR’s repair option might (or it might not; haven’t tried recovering zips in a few years, so I don’t remember) be more helpful.

Can you still play the cd/dvd’s? If so play those on a normal dvd or cd player while recording it again to preserve the data at least.

Afterwarts you can burn it again on another cd with better quality. It’s only an idea of course. Good luck.