Lite on -"brands"

vbimport

what ltr cdrw's name brands,like i have a ltr12101b and the box says"pacific digital" ,i want a 40X but dont know what "brand" to buy to get a lite on 40X ,thanks...

sorry for the “duh” question,i did a search and found all the info right here on this forum,thanx:bigsmile:

just go to newegg.com and get the actual lite-on.

CDRW’s are so cheap now,heck by the time i order, pay for it and shipping,i can go get a cdrw at local circuitcity/bestbuy. and if i have probs i can return it to the store, instead of getting RMA # return shipping all that BS, thanx for reply…

Go to newegg.com anyway. They have great prices and you’ll know you’re getting a Lite-On drive for sure. Unless you know just what to look for, it’s very possible to not get a Lite-On drive in one of those “other brand” boxes. :wink:

well some of the rebadgers(ex Pacific Digital) will say label smartburn o nthe box…then it is a liteon…Cendyne 40x burner is liteon…

i bought a CenDyne/Verbatim40x12x48-(lite-on) for 89bux from circuitcity,i am not knocking newegg at all i RECOMMEND them,i have purchased many motherboards/cpu’s from newegg.
thanx for replies…:smiley:

Hmmm, let’s see. CenDyne, Memorex and Verbatim 40X burners are LiteOn drives. TDK 40X burner is a LiteOn if the S/N on the bottom of the box starts with a “B”. Buslink (Best Buy has it on sale this week for $40 after two rebates) is a liteOn if the front label says “SmartBurn”.

Can’t wait for these 40X burners drop to free after rebate probably in a few months.

Hmmm, let’s see. CenDyne, Memorex and Verbatim 40X burners are LiteOn drives. TDK 40X burner is a LiteOn if the S/N on the bottom of the box starts with a “B”. Buslink (Best Buy has it on sale this week for $40 after two rebates) is a liteOn if the front label says “SmartBurn”.

And what about Sony 40x burner(all of them) is it a LiteOn drive and if it is which model???

According to other sources, The Sony CD-RW CRX195E1 or CRX195A1 are also OEMs of the LiteOn LTR-40125S.

I din’t include any Sony models in my first post only because Sony drives were overpriced and never on sale, so I have no interest in their drives.

The main reason to flash rebadged LiteOn back to LiteOn is to obtain the most recently updated firmware. Firms like TDK, Sony seldom update their own firmware.

Sony’s are not lite-ons.

Read cdrlabs.com.

Originally posted by OlympusXP
[B]Sony’s are not lite-ons.

Read cdrlabs.com. [/B]

Please read the following link at cdrlabs.com:

Link

and make up your own mind. Even Ian, the editor of cdrlabs.com said they were LiteOn. Where is your proof that they are not?:confused:

Because on certain drives the firmware is not lite-on’s, yet their own home branded firmware.

I guess I should say “Not all Sony’s are lite-on’s, but some are”

Originally posted by OlympusXP
[B]Because on certain drives the firmware is not lite-on’s, yet their own home branded firmware.

I guess I should say “Not all Sony’s are lite-on’s, but some are” [/B]

Sorry mate, but a rebadged LiteOn is defined by its hardware made by LiteOn, not by the firmware. TDK, Verbatim, Sony, Memorex all use LiteOn’s hardware with their own firmwares, yet they can all be reflashed back to LiteOn.

Please go read the FAQ section in this forum, and all Sony burners above 32X were made by LiteOn so far, not just some.

Sorry mate, but a rebadged LiteOn is defined by its hardware made by LiteOn, not by the firmware.

Agreed, but you are missing an important fact: The hardware is governed by the firmware, not the other way around. Without instructions, hardware is nothing but useless pieces of garbage. Not all lite-on hardware can understand certain firmwares, understand?

TDK, Verbatim, Sony, Memorex all use LiteOn’s hardware with their own firmwares, yet they can all be reflashed back to LiteOn.

Here you go again with your careless generalizing. With hardware you cannot generalize. 1.) Verbatim stopped making recorders a long time ago and they currently don’t. 2.) The 48X TDK cyclone is so far the only internally branded hardware made by Lite-on to be seen in a TDK. 3.) Sony has many drives that aren’t lite-on. 4.) As far as the big boys go, like Sony & TDK, they change manafacturers every week. It depends who has quantity and how cheap.

Please go read the FAQ section in this forum

I have, and maybe you should re-visit it. There are many other sources of more advanced and better information besides this forum faq, so just because there’s an opinion or so-called faq in this forum doesn’t mean its the truth.

and all Sony burners above 32X were made by LiteOn so far, not just some.

Here you go with your generalizing yet again. Sure, it may be possible, but like I said, Sony is using a different hardware vendor depending on what day of the week it is, and unless you’re a technical worker for Sony no one knows who they’re using and when.
You are also forgetting that compared to the general population we are a very small group with our “32X and above” drives.

Most people are still in the 8X-16X range, and most burners of that speed are company-engineered.

That’s true ! Great words ! :smiley:

OlympusXP,

In my previous posts, only 40X burners currently on the US market were referred and discussed. If you want to make a generalization of all Sony models, then you probably misread my posts.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.:slight_smile: