Lite-on Atapi DVD A DH20A4P won\'t read blank media

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A4P. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I just purchased the OEM Lite-on Atapi DVD A DH20A4P from Newegg. I installed it and was really excited until I found out the drive will not recognize any blank media put into it (DVD +R, DVD +R DL, CD-R all are unrecognized). When the drive is opened or explored, the computer displays the following prompt:
“E: is not accessible
Incorrect function”

I’m running firmware version 9P59, and I am at a loss as far as how to help the drive recognize what is going on. One interesting thing is when blank media is inserted, the drive (looking in My Computer) says it is a CD drive. When no media is in the computer, it says it is a DVD-RAM drive. The drive does play back movies though.

Please Help!:sad:

Welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

The error you get is normal for blank DVD media, although not for blank CD media [usually].

The drive will switch to “CD Drive” in Explorer with a blank DVD inserted.

The drive will show as a DVD-RAM drive in Explorer with no disc inserted–as it is a DVD-RAM drive [in addition to the other things].

Try with a dedicated burning software such as ImgBurn to see if the drive will recognize blank CD-R properly. It could be that your drive is just not set up to record CDs with Windows’ built in burn engine–which is how most of us around here recommend it.

This worked for me: Open your Registry Editor. Technical Support: To get there in XP go to Start - Run and type in regedit - then hit enter.-To get there in Vista type in ‘regedit’ in the search bar above the start menu button then hit enter. Technical Support: Click on “File” and select “Export” .Select the ‘All’ radial bullet, give the file a name, this is backing up the registry. Technical Support: Left Hand Pane: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class Technical Support: Select the folder 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 Technical Support: Right Hand Pane: Look for UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters. Technical Support: Remove those entrees. Once removed, there should be 8 entrees on the right side. Technical Support: Restart computer. Good Luck!:slight_smile:

I followed mRocker’s advice. I found listed by the “filter” entry: the names of my DVD burning software. If I remove these, will the software stop working?

Thanks.

8000000008:)

Sorry if that was confusing, but I copied and pasted it directly from my online conversation with Liteon. Basically, my drive with would burn DVDs fine, but would not recognize any type of CD media. Liteon support had me remove the filters, no problem, and it has worked flawlessly since.

Just go to the reg: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class
Select the folder 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
In the Right Hand Pane: Look for UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters.
Remove those entrees. Once removed, there should be 8 and only 8 entries on the right side.

Thanks.

8000000008:)