Lite-On and ASUS?

vbimport

I have been reading about both these drives but still can't decide which to buy. What are the pros and cons of each drive? I want one that can do everything and if not everything, more than any other drive.

I dont care which is cheaper i need to know which is better at writing and reading protected cd's. And what protection each cannot do.

thanks

All recent model Lite-on and Asus writers handle virtually all game cd copy protections (tages being an obvious exception).

Lite-on writers are known to be unable to read copy protected audio cds (or, at least they can’t if you don’t own a black felt tipped pen) but they can write them. I don’t know about Asus writers and copy protected audio as we don’t have any copy protected audio here in Oz.

Both are obviously excellent writers. Shop around and take your pick.:slight_smile:

Lite-on writers are known to be unable to read copy protected audio cds (or, at least they can’t if you don’t own a black felt tipped pen)

could you plz explain the use of the felt tipped pen:confused:

thanks for the reply! if asus and liteon can write but not read audio protections, what can read audio protections?

Originally posted by breezy
thanks for the reply! if asus and liteon can write but not read audio protections, what can read audio protections?

Plextor can read audio protections.

Plextor is one of the few CD-RW drive brands that could read protected audio.

thats good sence i have a plexy but, could someone be a little more specific on what drives will read audio protections or point me to where i can see a list. is there a drive out there now that can do both data and audio or do i have to get 2 drives to take care of all?

thanks again

Originally posted by slayerking
[B]

could you plz explain the use of the felt tipped pen:confused: [/B]

See http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=2304
Apparently this has been checked out by a number of people os where they have copy protected audio and it does work. Still, nothing for us to worry about here in Oz for the time being:bigsmile: .

Protected audio tests and more protected audio tests

ASUS will read and write all protections

including audio

they kick ass :cool:

Sure about that?

As I do not think asus will read all audio protections.

could someone verify this please?

oh and on another note does anyone know if the new asus DVR-104 is just a rebagged PIONEER 104?

hXXp://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/02q2/020617/index.html

Here is a review of 4 drives.-

-CRW-1610A - Asus
-LTR-24102B - Lite-On
-PX-W2410A - Plextor
-DVDRW208 - Philips

They ran tests to see how well they copied protected discs using Blindread/ Blindwrite v4.04 & CloneCD v4.013.

The protected discs.-

-Disc 1 - Safedisc 2 - Game
-Disc 2 - Safedisc 2.51 - Game
-Disc 3 - TAGES - Game
-Disc 4 - Cactus Data Shield - Audio CD

The results.-

hXXp://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/02q2/020617/cdrw-15.html

None of the drives succesfully copied the Tages protected disc, they all were able to copy the Cactus Data Shield protected Audio CD.

Originally posted by sherman1
[B]ASUS will read and write all protections

including audio

they kick ass :cool: [/B]

According to the url’s Oc-freak provided us with the Asus can’t read key2audio or CDS200…

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]

According to the url’s Oc-freak provided us with the Asus can’t read key2audio or CDS200… [/B]

According to the review I posted above, all the drives including the ASUS, succesfully backed up a CDS 200 protected disc using CloneCD v4.013 & Blindwrite v4.04.

In the other tests they were trying to extract the audio files(rip) with CD DAE v0.3b/EAC v0.9 beta2.

not to get into a ‘same chipsets mean same abilities deal’, but i think that’s probably the case here. i doubt either can read key2audio. the liteon has been confirmed several times in the negative, but nobody buys asus (cause we all say liteon), so i dont know.

liteons can read some versions of k2a, but not others

Originally posted by mrtt
[B]

According to the review I posted above, all the drives including the ASUS, succesfully backed up a CDS 200 protected disc using CloneCD v4.013 & Blindwrite v4.04.

In the other tests they were trying to extract the audio files(rip) with CD DAE v0.3b/EAC v0.9 beta2. [/B]

That is true, but this is contradicting with the results from the urls from Oc-freak… These tests are done by CDRInfo and I tend to believe them more/better than the testprocedure done by Tomshardware…

i agree! i like the reviews givin by cdrinfo.

does anybody know what burn speeds the liteon 48x12x48 are?
cdr and cdrw?

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]

That is true, but this is contradicting with the results from the urls from Oc-freak… These tests are done by CDRInfo and I tend to believe them more/better than the testprocedure done by Tomshardware… [/B]

The tests don’t contradict each other. I think the software used by CDRInfo (EAC) was the reason the drives failed to copy the protected audio discs. Also they were trying to rip the audio files, not just backup the discs; different procedure altogether. I’m reasonably sure the test results from Tom’s hardware are accurate, what reason would they have to post inaccurate results? All the writers tested (ASUS, LiteON, Plexor & Phillips) backed up the protected audio discs.

Originally posted by breezy
does anybody know what burn speeds the liteon 48x12x48 are?
cdr and cdrw?

Complete review of the Lite-On LTR-48125W 48/12/48 CD-RW.-

http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=131