I have searched for more than 1 one month for all kind of information about dvd-writers.
And the more you read, the more you get aware of subtle differences and the more it is difficult to make a good choice. Everything depends on your needs are and how much you want to spend.
In the beginning, I wanted to go for the Plextor 708A, but then I realised there was the lite-on 851 with good price/quality ratio. A little after, I learned about the Nec 2500, which excels on burning quality. And now there is also a fourth player, the BenQ DW800A which offers very good burn quality (according to CD), but has no support for -R/-RW. I'm really getting crazy.
So, which writer would you recommend keeping in mind that?:
1. 8x is not that much important for the moment.
2. burn quality is, I think, much more important!
3. later this year, dual-layer writers will come out (still highly priced)
4. I still can burn/copy protected cd with my old Plextor (PX-W2410A)
5. I do not have a standalone DVD player yet
6. I want to backup my data on dvd (pictures, movies, documents, ...)
7. I want to create dvd-movies of my pictures
8. Is the lack of -R/-RW writing a BIG disadvantage? BenQ has very good burner (DW800A), but does not support -R/-RW.
9. How important is bitsetting?
10. According to CT (decent computer magazine), the lite-on 811s has very bad burn quality for +R and media support is quite bad (GSO6). True/false? Any better with the latest firmwares?
Best Burn Quality (from excellent to good or bad?):
a. NEC 2500A
c. Plextor 708A
d. Lite-on 851
Nice to have:
Lite-on 851: bitsetting, many firmware hacks, bad media support
Plextor 708A: no bitsetting, mountain rainier, very good burn quality, good media support, 2 year guarantee, excellent support, good media support
NEC 2500A: no bitsetting, excellent burn quality
BenQ DW800A: bitsetting, same drive as philips but other firmware
This saturday, their is a big computer exhibition in Belgium and I finally would like to buy a writer. At a certain point in time, you have to make a desision.
Which writer would you recommend?
Thanks very much for your advise.