Lite-on 851 or NEC 2500A or Plextor 708A?

vbimport

Hello

I have searched for more than 1 one month for all kind of information about dvd-writers.

And the more you read, the more you get aware of subtle differences and the more it is difficult to make a good choice. Everything depends on your needs are and how much you want to spend.

In the beginning, I wanted to go for the Plextor 708A, but then I realised there was the lite-on 851 with good price/quality ratio. A little after, I learned about the Nec 2500, which excels on burning quality. And now there is also a fourth player, the BenQ DW800A which offers very good burn quality (according to CD), but has no support for -R/-RW. I’m really getting crazy.

So, which writer would you recommend keeping in mind that?:

1. 8x is not that much important for the moment.
  2. burn quality is, I think, much more important!
  3. later this year, dual-layer writers will come out (still highly priced)
  4. I still can burn/copy protected cd with my old Plextor (PX-W2410A)
  5. I do not have a standalone DVD player yet
  6. I want to backup my data on dvd (pictures, movies, documents, …)
  7. I want to create dvd-movies of my pictures

Questions?:
8. Is the lack of -R/-RW writing a BIG disadvantage? BenQ has very good burner (DW800A), but does not support -R/-RW.
9. How important is bitsetting?
10. According to CT (decent computer magazine), the lite-on 811s has very bad burn quality for +R and media support is quite bad (GSO6). True/false? Any better with the latest firmwares?

Best Burn Quality (from excellent to good or bad?):
a. NEC 2500A
b. BenQ
c. Plextor 708A
d. Lite-on 851

Nice to have:
Lite-on 851: bitsetting, many firmware hacks, bad media support
Plextor 708A: no bitsetting, mountain rainier, very good burn quality, good media support, 2 year guarantee, excellent support, good media support
NEC 2500A: no bitsetting, excellent burn quality
BenQ DW800A: bitsetting, same drive as philips but other firmware

This saturday, their is a big computer exhibition in Belgium and I finally would like to buy a writer. At a certain point in time, you have to make a desision.

Which writer would you recommend?

Thanks very much for your advise.
Maxicosy

I suggest you to buy the NEC 2500A for its good burning quality and the low price, even lower than the Lite-On 851 and much lower than the expensive Plextor 708A.

I agree with NEC 2500A as your first choice.

You don’t mention the Pioneer DVR07.
If it’s available for you I would pick that one.

Anyone agrees with me.

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]You don’t mention the Pioneer DVR07.
If it’s available for you I would pick that one.

Anyone agrees with me. [/B]
if he/she has the euros…yes…but …
Originally posted by Intomed
I agree with NEC 2500A as your first choice.
is an excellent choice with herries nailing out revisionist firmwares for NEC drives…:smiley: …but overall I am not complaining about my currently installed DW800A as BenQ has an fw offer for 10 USD to allow -R writes…(still have a Pioneer A05 for that media tho) …the 800A after MIR will be $50 USD to me …currently burning RicohJPNR01 4x rated +R @8x …out of a 100 count spindle…less than 25 remain…not one coasters …as always…ymmv…and goodluck at the show, maxicosy :smiley:

Another vote for the NEC ND-2500A. I bought this as a gift to my brother for $145…but I’m not giving it to him for another 2 weeks. I have it in my PC, and have used stuff from AN32 to TY 4x DVD-R. Burning has been excellent. I wish it would work with the Riteks, as I was planning on buying a spindle of that stuff.

I think I will go for the NEC 2500A for the following reasons:

NEC 2500A:

1. has excellent burn quality! (thus I think no need for Kprobe support)
  2. very good media support!
  3. I see much more positive reactions for this drive than for 811S and Pioneer 107
  4. burn DVD-R at 8x while 811s does not
  5. excellent support, good official/unofficial firmwares and hacks
  6. low price: excellent price/quality ratio (I will buy end this year or somewhere next year a dual layer writer, so no need to invest a lot of money)
  7. I still have a good plextor writer for things that NEC 2500A can’t do.
  8. overburning (pioneer can’t)

But I hope:

• Bitsetting will be available on the long run
  • I will not miss read DVD-RAM support of the pioneer

If someone disagree or wants to add some comments please go ahead.
Still have a whole evening and night to change my mind :slight_smile: exhibtion is only saturday morning.

Maxicosy

It has been said quite some times already, but I want to recommend the NEC drive as well. Simply great value for money :slight_smile:

I would not recommend the NEC because of his weak error correction on scratched CD´s/DVD´s. A drive that is not able to read discs that other drives can read without problems is for sure not the best choice.

Here an interesting review:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Nec+ND-2500A&Series=0&index=2

As far as i know the Pioneer drive has much better reading capabilities.

For me i decided to go for a Liteon and i would by it again. It´s a great drive, where i can burn cd´s by 40x without any problems in my old Kenwood SA player.

As far as i know the Pioneer drive has much better reading capabilities

But the Pioneer drive has much higher seek times especially in full seek.

I just bought the NEC 2500A. Will try it tomorrow… and give a short update of my experience with this burner.

Maxicosy

Another vote for the NEC.

Excellent writing.

Not too good reading, but for reading I prefer to always use a specific DVD-ROM reader.

I’m having the same doubt about which writer to buy.
I’ve noticed that the NEC doesn’t have RAW DAO, RAW SAO 16 and RAW DAO 16 modes.
What are the advantages of these writing modes ?

Originally posted by ScrapSilicon
if he/she has the euros…yes…but … is an excellent choice with herries nailing out revisionist firmwares for NEC drives…:smiley: …but overall I am not complaining about my currently installed DW800A as BenQ has an fw offer for 10 USD to allow -R writes…(still have a Pioneer A05 for that media tho) …the 800A after MIR will be $50 USD to me …currently burning RicohJPNR01 4x rated +R @8x …out of a 100 count spindle…less than 25 remain…not one coasters …as always…ymmv…and goodluck at the show, maxicosy :smiley:

Can I ask where did you get your BenQ drive? Which location? Thanks!

Does the fact that the NEC doesn’t support “Correct EFM encoding of regular bit patterns” hurt it in any way? I plan on backing up a lot of CDs.

I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST any Plextor!! I’ve got the “beast” - wish I didn’t! 200$ wasted!! Definitely don’t go with Plex.

frustratedly,
generic john

I am also very happy with my BenQ drive. I use it for all my movies right now. I’ve gotten some great deals on DVD+R media in the stores lately and the bitsetting has come in handy. It has the DVD-R update firmware and the DVD-R burned at 2.4x have good results. Their 4x DVD-R firmware should be out in a few weeks and I hope the quality remains. If there is ever a bitsetting firmware for the Nec maybe I will use it more often. I use the BenQ over the Lite-On because its a bit faster and the quality appears to be better.

I dont recommend the Plextor either.

I have both the plextor 708 and the nec 2500a. I would not reommend the Plextor drive at all. I have tried tdk + R on both drives. Here the deal. If i burned 8X on the plextor alot of standalone dvd players have problems reading the disk or can not read them at all like my xbox. But if i burn same media at 6X on the nec everything seems to play it fine even my xbox. Now the nec will not burn the tdk +r (richojpn) at 8X but i would prefer working versions at 6X anyday over non working 8X burns. Plus i paid 199 bucks for the plextor and i paid 19 after rebate for nec. Nec also burns 8X on 4X vertatim -r media and the plextor is 4X -r drive only.

BUY NEC.

BEST WRITING AND BEST MEDIA COMPATIBILITY.

WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?

I burned about 100 discs and they “all” play fine. :smiley:

Newegg’s ND-2500A price is only US$104. For those who can get ND-2500A at this price (or even lower), I recommend it.