Lite On 811s Writes 8X on 4X media? How can this be?

This unit ROCKS and I want to know how it is that the 811 can write +8X speeds to +4 media???

What, or how is this done and how does this compare to actual +8X media and why then would you buy +8X media since the cost of +4X is less…

Originally posted by retroz
[B]This unit ROCKS and I want to know how it is that the 811 can write +8X speeds to +4 media???

What, or how is this done and how does this compare to actual +8X media and why then would you buy +8X media since the cost of +4X is less…

There are a number of drives, not just the 811, capable of writing 8x on good 4x media. And depending on the quality of the 4x media, 8x on 4x sometimes will produce better results than 8x on 8x.

i replaced a 851s with a 811S for that very reason, the 851s would only write 4x on the exact same media that the 811s would write 8.1X

Originally posted by Khujo
i replaced a 851s with a 811S for that very reason, the 851s would only write 4x on the exact same media that the 811s would write 8.1X

You did what? I’d never replace a 851 with a 811, based on what I see here on this forum…

The 851 is capable of writing 8x on 4x media. LiteOn just disabled that because they wanted to be safe and didn’t want people whining to them if they burned at 8x using poor 4x media.

If you want the 851 to write 8x, all you have to do is patch the firmware (actually, just 1 byte needs to be changed to enable 8x on RICOHJPNR01 and another byte to enable MCC02). Search the forums for instructions on how to tweak your 851 firmware.

While burning on the fly at 8x (backing-up a movie) with my 811S I can only choose 6x in Nero for my dvd-rom. I think that this is the reason for the fact that during burning the readbuffer goes every time from 100 to 0.
The burning takes 11 minutes!!! Is this normal?

Additional info:

** INFO : An Empty Writable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S [FW HS0K]
** INFO : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-002]
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 11080 KBPS (8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 8310 KBPS (6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 5540 KBPS (4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 3324 KBPS (2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

I have only burned images using dvd decrypter and noticed burns start at 4x then hit 6.2x about 15-20% into the burn and by 50% it is running at 8-8.1x on TDK media. 8X is selectable using the tdk media under nero as well.

I have a Sony DRU530 8x drive in my desktop and the lite-on in my server, i think i’ll have to swap the two. Heh a cheap Buslink branded drive and i love it compared to the higerdollar sony :slight_smile:

Originally posted by hteunissen
[B]While burning on the fly at 8x (backing-up a movie) with my 811S I can only choose 6x in Nero for my dvd-rom. I think that this is the reason for the fact that during burning the readbuffer goes every time from 100 to 0.

A[/B]

Does this mean from READING on DVD rom to BURNING on the 811s?

I rip mine 1st to HD, then burn.

Burned Zoolander at 8X no problem at all. Will watch it later to see how it came out.

Used Shrink the Nero.

Originally posted by hteunissen
[B]While burning on the fly at 8x (backing-up a movie) with my 811S I can only choose 6x in Nero for my dvd-rom. I think that this is the reason for the fact that during burning the readbuffer goes every time from 100 to 0.

Additional info:

** INFO : An Empty Writable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S [FW HS0K]
** INFO : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-002]
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 11080 KBPS (8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 8310 KBPS (6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 5540 KBPS (4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 3324 KBPS (2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] [/B]

His question has already been answered here.

hteunissen, for future reference please do not crosspost. Just so you know, it is against forum rules. :cop: