Lite-On 811s problems please help

Can anyone please help. I have recently purchased the lite-on 811s. After first installing i tried writing a DVD with sonicMyDVD, it only burned at 1x and the data verification failed, the last 1/4 of the files to be written were inaccesible.

I upgraded to the HS0J firmware which has now dissapeared from the website?!?! This fixed the writing speed problem, i uninstalled sonicMyDVD as well and installed nero 6 but i have the same problem, it writes 3/4 of the cd alright but then messes up the rest.

Finally after all this I got a DVD to verify all it’s data only to discover the DVD writer doesn’t like reading it very much, it reads some of it then throws a cyclic redundancy error then if i try again it may or may not decide to copy the file across.

Can anyone help?

Right, I’ve put the f/w back to HS0E and it still won’t even read a normal region 2 dvd. It used to at least attempt to play it but now it doesn’t.

I have no clue what is happening, has anyone had this happen to them?

Have you set your region yet?
(done under drive properties)

That “cyclic redundancy error” seems to indicate crappy media.

You might want to make sure it’s set as master and on your regular IDE channel not raid. Also I was using the 133 cables and it went nuts when I set it as master by itself, put my Sony 500 as slave and it’s happy and working again.
Also my copy of Nero defualted to buffer protection off when the new drive was installed and the DMA got set to PIO mode only for it so lots of things could be conspiring to mess up your burns.
LiteOn recommends setting it as secondary master, I have mine as primary master with the other slaved to it.

I upgraded to the HS0J firmware which has now dissapeared from the website?!?!

They’ve actually changed their website (to a much crappier design). There’s a very small javascript menu bar over on the far top left. You need to click on that and it’ll open a thing that will help you find what you’re looking for.

It won’t work in anything but Internet Explorer. It’s a pretty stupid and frustrating change.

I’m having the same problem with my 811s. I’m hoping that I can fix it after taking some of the steps you discussed here.

Originally posted by Chefelf
It won’t work in anything but Internet Explorer. It’s a pretty stupid and frustrating change.

Hmmm, only IE.?

I´m using Mozilla Firefox right now, and I don´t have any problem with Lite-On “new” site… :wink:

@ Hisoka82, check your browser setting. Maybe time for an update…

:cool:

Really? I’m using Firefox as well and I get no love from that silly menu on the left.

Lite-On’s old layout may have been nothing special to look at but it was sure a heck of a lot easier to navigate than this one. :bigsmile:

My 811s is very picky. It burns perfect backups of Xbox games (using Ritek +RW and -R media). However, trying to use cheaper media for audio CD’s (that work perfectly in my Lite-On LTR - 52246S) it doesn’t work.

Also the +R media I’m using (again picked up cheap for making simple data DVD backups of things - Memorex) work fine in my other computer’s 411s but not in this 811s.

Update : I just tried one of the Memorex +R discs to make an Xbox backup and it worked perfectly using RecordMax Now 4.5. Seems to be that the problem is with Nero (6.3.0.2). I can’t get anything to burn properly with Nero (audio CDs won’t play right in any CD player, DVDs don’t burn either).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help. :slight_smile:

Keep using RecordNow :stuck_out_tongue:

Try updating to 6.3.0.3 I suppose.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]Keep using RecordNow :stuck_out_tongue:

Try updating to 6.3.0.3 I suppose. [/B]

I was afraid you’d say that. :wink:

There are a few features in Nero that I really like (namely the MP3 CD maker and the Backup Utility). I guess I could try the upgrade to the newer Nero and see if that helps.

Thanks.

You could always try doing a full uninstall.
Then using Nero clean tools to make sure you removed it all.
Then reinstall with the latest 6.3.0.3.

Thanks a lot for the information. I’ll remove Nero and try to install the latest version.

Thanks again!

You could always try doing a full uninstall.
Then using Nero clean tools to make sure you removed it all.
Then reinstall with the latest 6.3.0.3.

Okay, I uninstalled Nero, ran all the clean tools, rebooted, installed Nero 6.3.0.3 and it still doesn’t work with my LITE-ON LDW-811S but it works fine with my LITE-ON CDRW LTR-52246S.

This is fine for audio CDs but it still leaves me out of luck as far as using the Nero BackItUp program.

Anyone know of a fix for this? Simply waiting for new firmware or Nero upgrades?

Or, alternately, does anyone know of any good Windows-based backup utilities that would allow me to back up my HDD onto DVD?

Thanks for all the help so far!

what kind of media is it?

try this link Fix Liteon Problems

Originally posted by Chefelf
[B]Or, alternately, does anyone know of any good Windows-based backup utilities that would allow me to back up my HDD onto DVD?

Thanks for all the help so far! [/B]

This thread lists pretty much all the good backup software’s out there. Have a read :iagree:

Originally posted by ccb056
[B]what kind of media is it?

try this link <a href=“http://short-circuit.zapto.org/ftopic53.php”>Fix Liteon Problems</a> [/B]

Thanks a lot for the link. I followed all the recommendations there and still no luck getting my 811S to work with Nero. I’m beginning to think it’s just not going to happen. :wink:

This thread lists pretty much all the good backup software’s out there. Have a read

Thanks a lot for the link. I’ll certainly look into it.

Thanks for everyone’s help so far. I thought for sure that after updating all of this stuff I’d be in business but nothing yet. Could this just be a problem with Nero’s compatibility?

I’ve done everythign described in that link posted and I’m still having trouble.

It has come to my attention that the Lite-On LDW-811S has trouble with the NVIDIA nForce2 chipset. Wouldn’t you know that I happen to have that chipset. :wink:

I just wanted to post that here in case anyone is having similar problems. I guess the best I can do at this point is wait for a new firmware and/or nForce driver to be released.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

or you could change to the ms ide drivers and that should take care of the problem with nforce drivers. supposedly there is no change in system performance but a great deal of difference with the burner.

Good Lord above, that was it!

Thank you, cnlson! You are my savior. :wink:

I rolled back the IDE drivers to the MS drivers and it worked perfectly first shot. I am so glad that I can finally close this chapter of my life. :wink:

Thanks again! I hope this helps some other people out.