Lite on 760fx hdd dvd recorder

I am looking to get the lite on 760fx hdd dvd recorder. I want a replacement to my vcr, I want to record shows off of analog Cable, I want to transfer vcr tapes to dvd. I want to edit the vcr tapes when they are on the hard drive to make an highlight dvd. I just want to make sure the 760 can do everything I want. The review on this machine are so so.

I just want to make sure the 760 can do everything I want.

This is what they say the bad is;

The bad: Can’t play DVDs or previously recorded shows while recording; having no EPG or IR blaster limits usefulness when recording from cable and satellite boxes; some frustrating user interface quirks; no HDMI; cumbersome editing process; shaky 2:3 pull-down detection.

I have no idea what they are talking about when they say;

“having no EPG or IR blaster limits usefulness when recording from cable and satellite boxes; some frustrating user interface quirks; no HDMI; shaky 2:3 pull-down detection”

What are they talking about?

Hi

I have a 5055GDL+ which is quite similar:

1. no EPG - EPG=Electronic Programme Guide (you have to look in the paper for programme times)

2. IR blaster - I assume they mean a way of the recorder controlling the channel selection on the Cable or Sky box (you have to set the recorder to record the right channel at the right time, and the Cable or Sky box to switch on to the right channel at the right time as well)

3. some frustrating user interface quirks - the user interface is quite simple to use so I don’t fully understand this.

4. no HDMI - this is the new connector standard for HD TVs, and the Lite-On doesn’t have one though there is a model that does.

5. shaky 2:3 pull-down detection - I assume this means the auto-switching between 4:3 and 16:9 widescreen modes (it can be a bit unusual in what it does but I have no problems about reselecting the correct option on the TV when it gets it wrong)

Paul B