Lite-On 52246S: any info?

:smiley: Hi everybody!
My first post.
Can’t find anywhere info and tests on the new Lite-On CDRW 52246S. The Lite-On site says about nothing (well, their crumpy specs are not enough for me).
I’m choosing between Yamaha F1ZE, Plextor 4824A and the above-mentioned drive. Should I wait a little yet?
Any links and advises are much appreciated.

You can get 2 LiteOn drives for the price of the Yami or the Plex.
The Liteon will do everything the others do, with the possible exception of copying some audio protections. (though this is changing). The LiteOn is far and away the best value.
Check here for prices: www.newegg.com

Originally posted by sambs0
:smiley: Hi everybody!
My first post.
Can’t find anywhere info and tests on the new Lite-On CDRW 52246S. The Lite-On site says about nothing (well, their crumpy specs are not enough for me).

Read about Sony CRX220E1 (52/24/52) which is a rebadged LiteOn.
Hopefully this info’s gonna be useful for ya :wink:

Thank you guys for the replies. I’ve choosen and ordered the Yama. Notes on my choice, if you’d like to:

1. Price difference with a Lite-On (about $50.) that much matters for an OEM, not me. The Plexy costs about the same.
  2. Speed is not that vital and, with the F1EZ, is appropriate.
  3. Low CPU usage attracts me a lot as I can do my work on the background, so that a minute loss per CD is no a big deal.
  4. The Yama is quiet (I like this much).
  5. Support is outstanding (saves my time, against a Lite-On).
  6. Write quality is superior (on par with the Plexy).
  7. Ability of reading scratched old CDs is a big plus for me.
  8. T@2 is a nice fancy touch. At least, on a large capacity CD (99 minutes), 4 extra mins (Yama’s 98 against Plexy’s 95) can be used to tattoo some info or a picture. Why not?!
  9. As far as I’m able to figure, Yamaha is not going to develop its CD-RW line any more. Meaning, F1ZE is the top. Indeed, the Plextor default of reading at 40X, for the sake of quality, speaks for itself, indeed.
  10. Rewrite speed is the maximum as up to date.
  11. Complete absense of rewiews for Litie 52246S warns me to wait. However, in a few month, some newer drives to fully comply with EasyWrite are going to appear. None of the existing CD-RWs can catch up anyway. I don’t want to wait.
    Again, thanks for helping me out making the choice.:slight_smile:

There will be reviews of LiteOn 52x :slight_smile:

:stuck_out_tongue: Installed the new drive and am happy with it.

• Good PRO feel about its appearance, package, support!
  • Very quiet (a few times less noise than the one from the PC case’s fan)!
  • Good quality of a written CD (my old RW by Sanyo produced CD-Rs a conventional CD-drive had a hard time to read; not the Yama: I’ve compaired)!
  • A really low CPU usage (when in the background, you won’t even notice it’s running but that fancy blue light)!
  • Accompanying manual and software are perfect!
    Thanks again, folks, for your support.
    Sam.:slight_smile: