Lite on 5005 drive change problems

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LVW-5005B DVD Recorder. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi everyone,

I have a Liteon 5005B DVD recorder.

For a while it’s been misbehaving, discs failing etc when the discs work fine in other dvd recorders. So I did a search on google and read of similar problems on the various forums, though this seems like the best forum hence I’ve joined.:slight_smile:

From what I read it seemed like drive failure was common and that the drive would need replacing. So I took one from my computer (a LG HL-DT-ST GSA-H10A burner) and put that in my dvd recorder. I downloaded the firmware first though and tried to use that MCSE program to make the firmware “RPC1” but the option was greyed out. So I did a search and found the correct firmware that had already been modified for RPC1. Reconnected the drive to my dvd recorder but it still won’t play region 1 dvds.

Just wondering if anyone can help please?

Oh, a while back I updated the DVD recorder’s own firmware to make it region free and remove the macrovision thingy, not sure if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Is drive jumper set to Master? If it doesn’t work with drive set to Master, it may be that burner is not a suitable replacement as many are not. If you can’t get this drive to work, you should have better luck with 1 from http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/.