Lite-On 48246s only burning at 32x

I just got the 48246s from Newegg and used their bundled Nero v.5.5.9.2 updated to 5.5.9.17 and it still see’s the drive as only being a 32x drive even though the drive itself is being recognized correctly. I also ran CD Speed and it sill slowly have the upward curve but it immediately flattens out at 31.90x. This is really frustrating since I was obviously expecting faster speeds out of the drive, and I’m using the software that came with it, any suggestions would be great.

Of an the drive is master on IDE 2, and DMA is turned on.

Mark

With what brands of media did you try this ?

If i’m not mistaken the bundle comes with 1 cd-r and 1 cd-rw. The cd-r should be able to get to 48 speed in nero cd speed , but if your drive(s) are kinda slow and the “determine maximum speed option” is enabled , it could be that the writer reduces itself to 32x.

What do you mean by drives? The maxtor is a 7200rpm brand new drive it should be able to feed the cdr anything it needs, I would think. The bundle didn’t come with any cdr’s just the nero disk, it’s pretty much an oem setup. Will it not give m the option to burn at 48x of my cd is not capable of 48x, right now I’m using some memorex black cd-r that I think were originally rated at 16x and I tried to use CDRidentifier but the program crashes my winxp machine.

I think the cdr thing might be the ticket, I hadn’t even thought about that, I guess I’ll have to pick up some faster discs this weekend.

Yep Smart-BURN is limiting your Memorex Black to 32x, thus you cannot burn at 48x without turning Smart-BURN off.

You can try turning Smartburn off and burn your 16x discs at 48x, but I guarantee you will get plenty of errors on the disc.

So with a higher rated disc I should get 48x no problem? Well, that’s fine by me I guess it’s time to go shopping.

Thanks for the info.

40x certified at least .

Try to find out more about the media for your needs @ DVD±RW/CD-R(W) Media Forum

threeclaws, you can use Lite-On’s smart burn media check utility to see what speed the media will be written at. Just put the media in the drive and run it and click the question mark icon.
http://www.liteonit.com.tw/zip/SMARTBURN.zip

Originally posted by threeclaws
[B]So with a higher rated disc I should get 48x no problem? Well, that’s fine by me I guess it’s time to go shopping.

Thanks for the info. [/B]

threeclaws we have the same drive and I bought both 48x CD-r & 16x-24x CD-RW (Verbatim) cheap at buy.com plus free shipping

http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresults.asp?deptID=10646&submit1=Go&loc=101&search_store=1&qu=*&mfgid=1288&querytype=comp&mfgpartno=