Lite-On 48126s Overclocking successful

I seem to have successfully overclocked my drive to the newer 48246s, but currently have no Ultra-Speed rewritable medium to test it.

It still works though, and windows XP, win2k, Windows 98 and bios detect it as a 48246s.

Nero still works, Clonecd still works. Alcohol still works.

Woohoo!

Can’t wait to check out when I get some new CDRW!

Does anyone know anywhere in sydney area that they have Ultra speed ( >16x) CDRW??? LOL!
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wow! Too many smileys!

now u gotta get a hold of 52246S firmware and try that when it becomes available :slight_smile:

I can get a 48126S for $109 in AUS… just waitin for the cash from mate for my current burner to go buy it :slight_smile:

Hopefully my advice from 04-10-02 was some help :wink:

Are you sure it rewrites at 24x? Because I’ve o/c’d my own 48126s to 48246s, it seems to be ok, but I don’t think it rewrites at the desired 24x.

Even if I turn of smart-burn, it won’t exceed 12x, although it identifies as a ltr-48246s.

Strange, or a new overclock-protection from LO?

No, You realy need a CD-RW that are certified for 24x. Thats it.

/Dyzan

Even with Smart-Burn disabled?

Yes…even SmartBurn is disabled.

Note:CD-RW # CD-R :wink:

Can I make a suggestion
Grab a 4x cdrw if someone has 1.
Disable Smartburn and see if it will let you burn it at a higher speed

If not then we could safely assume CDRW’s cant be burnt at a higher speed than they are rated at ?

I’m looking for my 4x cdrw I got and would test it… If i can find it

a question i would ask also. is nero and clonecd at a version at the moment capable of burning cdrw’s @ 24x ?

Ok thats interesting. I disabled Smartburn and put in my 80mm 10x CDRW …
With smartburn disabled it showed 12x … with it enabled it showed 10x as the cdrw rates it.

Originally posted by goofydave

Ok thats interesting. I disabled Smartburn and put in my 80mm 10x CDRW …
With smartburn disabled it showed 12x … with it enabled it showed 10x as the cdrw rates it.

Yes, in my case with SB disabled 10x CDRW becomes 12x ( which doesn’t mean that this could be a successful rewriting @12 )
but …4x remains 4x

I can’t think of a single reason why I’d bother to upgrade a 48x CDRW drive to a 52x CDRW and risk it being a $108 paper weight.

Upgrading the 48126s to 48246s was worthwhile cos it reduced re-writable trime from 7 mins to 4mins.

Flashing a drive to save 10secs while writing is just plain stooooopid!

Especially since I wouldn’t be caught dead writing anything at 48 speed anyway.

16x is fast enough and is suitable for good quality disks. Anything higher degrades the finished quality.

Re-writable however is short term, so quality is less concern. and at almost double the speed, its something that is important.

Originally posted by goofydave
a question i would ask also. is nero and clonecd at a version at the moment capable of burning cdrw’s @ 24x ?

That could be a possible reason. Is there anyone around with a true 24xRW drive? Because with all my rw’s (4x/10x/12x) it still has a maximum of 12x, not 24x.

I’m not too much on speed since I got mostly 10x and 4x CDRWs, but its more for the bragging rite and personal knowledge (and to blow time :slight_smile: ).

I just got a few questions about how you did it and the aftermaths, debro. First did you use the bin file found at
http://liteon.notrix.net to do it with mtkflash? Second, you know how the VS0D firmware of 48126S can write 48x even those $8 for 50pk CMC CD-Rs with no errors on a surface scan, can the 48246S with its current firmware still do that?

Btw, congrads on d oc.

Bragging rights means nothing to me.

"First did you use the bin file found at Notrix "

No. If you read the instruction on the site it specifically says not to use extract the firmware from the .EXE’s on the notrix site.

I downloaded the latest version of the 48246s firmware from the Liteon Site.

R48SS06.exe from the Lite-On site.

Litefirm.exe from the [http://liteon.notrix.net/]Notrix Site](http://liteon.notrix.net/) .

It will extract the actual binary files out of the executable flasher from lite-on.

From there, you can use the latest version of MKTflash (1.48) from the notrix site.

Then you can just follow the instrtuctions on the Sticky for overclocking the 48125S/W on cdfreaks.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42502

Don’t try anything stupid, or skip a process to save time or just cos you couldn’t be bothered. It’ll only take about 5 minutes. Then you have an awsome drive for the next few years. If you don’t follow instructions, you have an expensive paperweight.

Remember, when you do this, make sure that you actually do both the first step

1. Save Your current bios, in case anything goes wrong.

and the second step, overclocking.
2) Using mtkflash, load the 48246s (R48SS06) into the bios.

Then when it’s finished (about 3 minutes later) just reboot, and enjoy!

Originally posted by debro
RPCDE.ZIP (unzips to rpcde.exe) from the Notrix site.

u mean litefirm.exe from notrix. not rpcde.zip

rpcde.zip is for dvd’s to make them region free…

Correct. Fixed it in the previous post.