Lite-On 48125W and CD Extreme?

vbimport

I’ve always used Sony CD Extreme as my burner software. Fast, intuitive, and super easy to burn anything I need to burn (usually ISO9660 disks with graphics files for storage). Well - I just bought a Lite-On 48x12x48 burner (rebadged Cendyne) and CD Extreme doesn’t recogize the new burner, while it sees my old Lite-On 24x just fine. Only thing I had to try a test burn was bundled Nero - and I hate that software with a passion. It took 12 minutes to burn a 650mb test disk of graphics, while CD Extreme w/ my old burner did the same test folder in 3 minutes.

Question … anyone know of a way to get CD Extreme to recognise the new burner as a compatible device? I already tried the Prassi engine update and updated CD Extreme with the latest (?) patch.

Please don’t bother pushing Nero - I’ll sell the new drive and go back to the old one before I use that again.

Erm…well…I have always been of the persuasion that Sony burning software is not so hot for reliablilty. Granted, it may be good for you in your situation though.

Now, there are a couple of things to consider:

The liteon drive is quite a new drive. The software is quite archaic so to speak. I hope I can be proven wrong…but I am of the opinion that this software will not support the latest Liteon drive…=/. Bummer.

I wont push Nero on you…even though its the industry standard…but…how about a few other proggies?..

• Blindwrite
  • Roxio EasyCD (yuk!)
  • Goldenhawk technologies CDRWIN
    *…etc?

The Prassi/Veritas PX Engine Update 1.1.342 supports the Lite-On LTR-40125S. Your burner can be easily flashed to this model by using the firmware at How to convert a LiteOn LTR-40125S to LTR-48125W.

There is very little difference in performance between these models. The only difference between them is the firmware and the little bit of extra speed of the 48x (which can lead to extra coasters with the wrong media). If you decide to flash to the LTR-40125S, I would recommend the ZS0K firmware.

You can always reflash to the LTR-48125W when Veritas supports that model in the next update. :wink:

You might also try NTI CD Maker Pro. I haven’t used it myself but it has a very good reputation.

Well first off… I already returned the 48125W drive, so that issue is closed. I prefer CD Extreme above all others and have never - repeat NEVER - had a failure with it burning either text, backups, music, or graphics data. So I don’t know where the information about reliability of CD Extreme came from. IMO too many guys use Nero or whatever because some other guy who claims to be an expert on such things proclaims that particular software is good - and everything else sucks. Nonsense. I have sent many people CD Extreme, including former users of nero and CDRWin - and they all switched to CD Extreme for ease of use and reliability.

To the other guy who talks about the Lite-On 40x to 48x reflash … I don’t know what that has to do with anything. I didn’t have a 40x to start with - I had the 48x. The issue is CD Extreme not recognising the drive, while it does work with the old 24x that has been reinstalled. You can’t reflash the 24x to a 40x, so the suggestion isn’t useful - and as I said originally, I already installed the latest Prassi engine update and it didn’t help with the 48x drive.

I have also heard about NTI, but again - I prefer to use CD Extreme, and went back to my older burner to do so. Must tell you something about the software, no?

saurus, if you would adjust your attitude and read my earlier post carefully you would see that I gave you useful information. At least it was until you returned the Lite-On 48x drive.

I gave you instructions on how to flash the 48x Liteon to the 40x model which is recognized by an updated Sony CD Extreme. You could have used your 48x Lite-On with your favorite software if you had read my post carefully and followed the advice. The link that I supplied has firmware to flash the drives to both higher and lower speeds. If you had opened the link you would have seen that. The most common use is from 40x to 48x, hence the title of the link.

Since you have already returned the drive, if you buy a Lite-On LTR-40125S it will work with the Sony/Prassi software. As I have already stated, the 40x and 48x Lite-On drives are the same except for the firmware. You can convert either one to the other speed, both 48x to 40x and 40x to 48x.

Too bad you returned the drive. The last update for the Prassi engine was 01 August. I’ll bet the next update is only a week or two away and I’ll bet the LTR48125W is in that update. Like the man said, you just get the update from the Veritas site.

I have Sony CDExtreme also. It is a crippled version of Prassi software. CDExtreme came with my 10X Sony SCSI burner.

I also have Prassi PrimoDVD. It is like CDExtreme, but, with a few features added.

I just purchased the LTR48125W and, like you, I am anxiously awaiting the Veritas release of the Prassi Engine update.

At the moment, I can write to the LTR48125W using Prassi PrimoDVD (or CDExtreme), but, during the disk verification process, it is reported as a failed disk. So, I’m using Nero BurningROM and VOB Instant CD-DVD with the LTR48125W for the time being. It just so happens those two other software packages already recognize the LTR48125W.

I agree with you. The Prassi software is top notch. It will handle file names of 212 characters and Windows seems to have absolutely no trouble reading those long file names when burned to a CD.

I also like the way Prassi side-steps all ASPI problems by using its own neat little engine. Prassi doesn’t conflict with any other software on my computer. It just does its job and does it well.

Prassi PrimoDVD will burn to multiple recorders. I used it to burn to a Yamaha 4X and a Sony 10X at the same time. Obviously those are different drives with different firmware. But, Prassi worked them simultaneously without any problems.

So, I am really looking forward to the Veritas release of the Prassi engine update to see if Prassi can write to the LTR48125W in conjunction with my Sony 10X at the same time. That will be quite amazing. I’ll be able to spit out 2 CD copies every 3 to 6 minutes.

(Just for fun info: I think that … InCAT was purchased by Prassi and Prassi renamed it to EasyCD. Then, Prassi sold EasyCD to Adaptec and Adaptec renamed it to EasyCD Creator. Then, Prassi went off to write another CD burning package. Now, Prassi has sold that other CD burning package to Veritas.)

I hope Veritas maintains the Prassi engine in good fashion. I also hope the Prassi people are working on something else exciting for us!!

vj2k

I’m sorry. I was terribly wrong !!!

Was it me who said the newer LiteON drives would be supported soon in the Prassi engine of RecordNow and Prassi PrimoDVD?

Yes. It was. I had faith. My faith was misplaced.

3 months after buying the LTR-48125W, and I’m still waiting.

Guess I’ll bite the bullet and flash to LTR-40125S so I can use the LiteOn with that software.

Originally posted by saurus
[B]I’ve always used Sony CD Extreme as my burner software. Fast, intuitive, and super easy to burn anything I need to burn (usually ISO9660 disks with graphics files for storage). Well - I just bought a Lite-On 48x12x48 burner (rebadged Cendyne) and CD Extreme doesn’t recogize the new burner, while it sees my old Lite-On 24x just fine. Only thing I had to try a test burn was bundled Nero - and I hate that software with a passion. It took 12 minutes to burn a 650mb test disk of graphics, while CD Extreme w/ my old burner did the same test folder in 3 minutes.

Question … anyone know of a way to get CD Extreme to recognise the new burner as a compatible device? I already tried the Prassi engine update and updated CD Extreme with the latest (?) patch.

Please don’t bother pushing Nero - I’ll sell the new drive and go back to the old one before I use that again. [/B]

Sorry saurus, I don’t want to make a fool of you, but did you activate UDMA mode for your burner? Some of my friends had the same problem. Try to look at the CPU usage while burning if it’s about 100% UDMA is not activated and thus you cannot burn faster than about 6x. No matter which software you will use.:wink:

Originally posted by lokolb
[B]

Sorry saurus, I don’t want to make a fool of you…[/B]

I don’t think saurus will care, since he left this thread about 10 months ago.

Sorry lokolb, I don’t want to make a fool of you, but this thread had been dead for almost 8 months before your untimely reply. :o :cool: :bigsmile:

At least, lokolb used the search…

Hmm this is rather old post floating up.

Anyway, the CD extreme is a program designed for SONY drives.
It will sometimes not work when used on other drives at all.
I have a 8-speed burner that still works but is retired. That was a piece of software that I used, but found that it was limited on what it could do.