Lite-On 411/811 Firmware Comparisons

I was wondering if people could offer up their views on the different firmware’s available for the 411. (And the 811).

It would be nice to be able to have some type of table with ‘general’ results for the firmwares so making an educated decision isn’t based upon reading 100 people’s views on the firmware or someone mentioning that a certain firmware is better with DVD-R.

So, if people could post their views on firmware versions (even comparing the 411’s to the 811’s since upgrading IS possible), I’ll try to put them into a table or something. At the very least this thread could give a central place for 411/811 firmwares.

Note: Firmware results depend on your personal system setup as well. Below is only an overview to aid in selecting which to utilize. In addition ‘Better for XX burning’ means it burns THAT type of media better then other firmwares (as found by most people).

FSOF - best all around (+/-R); better for -R burning then other firmwares; best bet if going to burn DVD-R’s.
FSOG - worse then FSOF.
FSOJ - possibly one of the worst for DVD-R writing, but better for +R burning.

HSOE - best all around; better for -R burning.
HSOK - not so good; better for +R burning.
HSOP - best all around;has benefit of booksetting; better for -R burning
HSG8 - OEM Firmware; should be exactly the same as HSOP with a name change, but some people report better burns.

The general consensus seem to be HS0E/FS0F or HS0P for -R burning and HS0K/FS0J for +R.

But the reason there is no definitive thread on which firmware is “best” is because there is no “best” firmware. It’s dependent on a number of factors including media used and even PC setup. The “best” answer is to test out for yourself. Do some Kprobe scans and reach your own conclusion. That’s what most of us do. :smiley:

ok this does get covered for people over and over since some people are search challenged

411 FSOF seems to be best all around
FSOG less so
FSOJ perhaps less yet

811 HSOE, HSOP best all around P has benefit of booksetting
HSOK not so good

there are endless threads ( especially if you search ) which detail people’s results with each and every firmware.

you notice that people have kinda left this alone? probably because it has been talked to death over and over.

My point was that the scattered and various discussions are difficult to find and make sense of and there really isn’t any central location to look for information.

For instance, certain firmwares work better with certain media’s (not +/-, but actual manufacturer’s). I figured it would be nice to have ONE thread people would be able to look at when searching.

And I realize it’s ‘variable’ per personal setup but a general idea for each one in a central location would be nice - I mean, how many threads have you seen get redirected/locked/etc. because someone asks ‘Is XXXX any good on a 411?’, etc.

Hell, links to other threads discussing firmwares in a central location would prob. help many. sarcasm Then again it’s easier to just tell everyone to just do a search over and over and over as the masses post about it. /sarcasm :slight_smile:

Well for the most part the DVD Media tests forum can help in that regard. Many 4_1S/8_1S burners are used there. With different firmwares and different media. People can look there to help reach their own conclusions :iagree:

I have a 411S, I want booksetting and I don’t want to flash firmware everytime I need to write a different type of disk.
I tried FSOJ and, just like everyone mentioned, it writes good on RICHOJPNR01 DVD+R but the RITEKG04 DVD-R is just unreadable(huge PI/PO at the end).
I can post the K-Probe if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I decided to make my 411 to 811 just because I want to use the HSOP firmware which seem to have both booksetting and good +/-R writting. I did the ZebraMode and flash to HSOP. And, sure enough, the quality is excellent both for the +R and -R disks.(Max PI<50 Max PO<6) I also have the K-probe scans. I only have the two above mentioned types of disks so I cannot comment on other disks. But I think a dual writer should at least be able to write both formats(with quality disks) without having to switch firmware which apparently is not the case with LDW-411 :confused:

Originally posted by simbawang
I have a 411S, I want booksetting and I don’t want to flash firmware everytime I need to write a different type of disk.
I tried FSOJ and, just like everyone mentioned, it writes good on RICHOJPNR01 DVD+R but the RITEKG04 DVD-R is just unreadable(huge PI/PO at the end).

Well, this is one of the resons why I´m back to original “411”.
Works great with FS0F and 100+ burned DVDs. :smiley:

I have tested ALL 6 411-firmwares…
Tested “Z”-patch 3 & 4, tested 3 different “811” firmwares, without any improvement of overall compatibility or write quality…

Right now I think, I will just wait for “the new [DL] drives” from Lite-On. :smiley: