Lite-on 40x12x48 compatibility or malfuntion issue?

vbimport

I purchased a Lite-on 40x12x48 CDRW, and installed it to my Dell Dimension 4100(P933 Memory-384M Win98sed). There was no problem for me to install it, and the cdrw drive was shown when I login to windows. However, whatever kind of CD(data, music, cdr cdrw) I put into it to read, it could not read anything at all. The cdrw indication light showed that it was searching data, but after about 10 second nothing happen.

I called Dell customer service today, the person who helped me said that the Lite-on 40x12x48 CDRW is not compatible to my Dell Dimension 4100 system. Is it true? or it is just the malfuntion of the CDRW I received?

If it is not compatible problem, I am going to place an order for a new Lite-on CDRW. Pleae help! Thank you!
:smiley:

I just installed the same CD-RW in my Dimension 4100. I was able to copy a game CD but it does not run. I tried to copy some files off my computer. The first two times the copy process stalled and the ATAPI/SCSI timed out. The third time I reset the copy speed and it seemed to copy all files but many of the files do not open. I am ready to remove and reinstall my LG burner and send the Lite On back to Dell for an exchange but if it is a compatibility issue I will just return for a refund. I have only made one bad disk with the LG and am not happy with the results with the Lite On. Am hoping that someone will respond to your post or if you get a response elsewhere maybe you can post it here.

Thanks.

Of course you could try the latest firmware from lite-on. I would also point out that this isn’t an issue of the Lite-on’s compat. It simply means that Dell 4100’s have a compat. issue. I’ve used this drive in many, many machines w/o incident.

I would have to agree with sjaxkingpin on this one. It is more than likely an issue on Dell’s end, and I would look forward to seeing a Bios update form them soon.

I have a 4100 and my Lite-On 40x has worked fine from the get-go. Data, music, you name it. I think I would see about getting a replacement if I were you. Might have just got a “bad one”.

I don’t think that my problem was related to Dell compatibility issues. Maybe it’s a media problem. After making 3 coasters using 32X media (GQ from Fry’s), I decided to give the TDK 40X a try. Was able to copy over 600 mb of image files and 500 mb. of audio files without problems. Disks are totally useable and readable. I am hoping, though, that I would be able to use other media since I do have lots of 32X and 8X. What does one have to do to get these to work? Turn off smart burn or what??

Pyxistort, how did you set up/connect your lite on?

Sing1gniS, What kind of media are you using with your lite on? I only tried GQ 32X and TDK 40X and the GQ would not work for me but the TDK was great. Any suggestions on using the writer with the Dell. Was there supposed to be a manual with the CD-RW besides the Nero burning software info on the CD?

Thanks.

Following are my set up!
Primary master: 40G Hard Drive
Secondary slave: 2G Hard Drive
secondary master: Lite-on LTR-40125S
secondary slave: lite-on LTN-483S

I guess it is not compatible problem, just the problem of the CDRW I received.
I had the same problem when I install my first TDK CDRW, so I changed another one, then everything was fine. I will probable give lite-on 40x12x48 another chance. I am going to re-order it!

I’ve not had any problems with my Lite-On, here are my PC spec’s

Dimension 4100
Intel PIII 800 MHz 815E Chipset
256 MB PC-133 SDRAM
45 GB IBM DeskStar 75 HDD
20 GB IBM DeskStar 40GV HDD
Creative GeForce2 Ti 4xAGP
Soundblaster Live! Value 512 Card
Conexant HCF V.90 56K RTAD, Speakerphone PCI Modem
Adaptec 2940 SCSI Card
NEC DV-5700A 12x DVD-ROM [Firmware 1.05]
Lite-On LTR-40125S CD-RW [Firmware ZS0A]
Win 98SE

Branded media that I have used [sorry don’t know manufacturer]

Sony 12x
Sony 16x
Memorex 16x
Memorex 24x
TDK 16x
Mr Data 24x [!]

The Lite-On that I was shiped was already set as IDE Slave, so I checked the NEC DVD was set as IDE Master and it slipped straight into the lower 5.25" bay. Connected IDE and power cables and off I went.

Manual is downloadable from Lite-On site; here

@avian; check the jumpers etc on the LG and make sure the Lite-On is set the same.

@pyxistort; You list 2 Secondary Slave devices, is this correct?

I don’t understand why the Lite-On should be causing problems with specific manufacturers PC. As a general rule they are IDE devices and all IDE devices should work in PC’s equipped with an IDE controller that is functioning correctly. Thus I’d be tempted to blame a faulty drive or incorrect installation.

Hope that helps.

Here is a rundown of what I use:

TDK 32X - TY (My main disks)
Fujifilm 16X - Have to disable smart-burn to get 40X
Memorex (16X I think) - Capable of 32X, disable smart-burn for 40
Maxell (12X I think) - Have to disable smart-burn for 40

Everything I’ve used burns fine, even with smart-burn off. The TDK disks are the only ones capable of 40X with smart-burn on. I think I would go and get a couple different pieces of media and see which ones work best for you. Something so small could save you a big headache and time.

I set up the lite on the same as the LG…both DVD and CD-RW are set to auto select (CSEL) and when I checked in the bios the DVD is master and the CD-RW is slave. I don’t think manually setting jumpers to master and slave will make a difference, will it? I think the answer is to just try different media as suggested. The TDK 40 did burn perfectly and very quickly.

Thanks.

Originally posted by avian
I don’t think manually setting jumpers to master and slave will make a difference, will it?

The answer to that is that it shouldn’t. If the BIOS can sort out the difference between them then setting the jumpers shouldn’t make a difference.

I know I’ve had problems with some PC’s with both devices set as CSEL, or a CSEL and a slave. It might be worth a try.

Guess I will leave well enough alone for now with the setup of the lite on and my CD-R player since they are recognized as slave and master by the system and that was the setup I had before and all worked well. I will try some of the other media suggested and maybe try the Fry’s GQ stuff with different settings.

Thanks.

I don’t think manually setting jumpers to master and slave will make a difference, will it?

the answer is yes it probably WILL csel(cable select) is really only used by manufacturers of pc’s i have had to fix many home built pc’s were they have put jumpers on the csel. If you put one jumper switch on master and totally take the other out(slave jumper)all should be well:)

I have the same problem as pyxistort, the only difference is my burner is installed on a micron PC.
I was able to burn on the two CDs that came with the burner, but I am unable to read anything that I burn to a FujiFilm disk. My question Is, how do I disable smart-burn.

Sing1gniS
TDK 32X - TY (My main disks)
Fujifilm 16X - Have to disable smart-burn to get 40X
Memorex (16X I think) - Capable of 32X, disable smart-burn for 40
Maxell (12X I think) - Have to disable smart-burn for 40

I want to see If disabling smart-burn will solve my problem.

I also ordered a PlexWriter 40x/12x/40x that will arrive here next week, I am going to install It In my Dell Dimension 8100, will the FujiFilm disk work ok In the Plextor?

:)

You just open Nero, click recorder at the top, and then click choose recorder. When the choose recorder window opens, click the options button. That is where you can disable smart-burn. That is only for the Lite-On 40X though (I believe). Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks Sing1gniS … turning off smartburn worked, I was able to copy data to the FujiFilm disk. But I can only read It with the burner Rom, I can not read It with any other CD Rom.
What did I do wrong? :frowning:
Thanks … Tim

I was also able to get the Lite on to finally burn on my Fry’s GQ 32X CDs by turning off smart burn as well as turning off copy on the fly using 32X copy speed setting. Don’t know if turning off smart burn did the trick or turning off copying on the fly but I’m happy that it works. CD plays just fine on Lite on as well as my CD/DVD player.

Slayerking,
I’m not noting any problems using the CSEL setup. I don’t think this was causing the initial problems I was having. I attribute those to the media and settings that were chosen for burning. 40X CDs copied perfectly from the get-go.

I was able to copy data to the FujiFilm disk. But I can only read It with the burner Rom, I can not read It with any other CD Rom.

I was In error, When I put this disk In my PC with windows 98, I can right click the CD Rom Icon and choose explore, and be able to read the disk. The data that I copied to the FujiFilm disk was my XP pro disk, should I have used the CD-ROM (Boot) option? I used the CD-ROM (ISO) option when I burned the disk.

When I put the disk in the CD/DVD Rom of the Micron PC, It will lock-up on me.