Lite-On 40125s>48125w burner hosed?

My Lite-On, overclocked as subject is behaving strange atm. I have been using a noname brand CD-R (made by Ritek) not certified for 48x writing. No trouble though, until the last 15-20 burns. I started to get a lot of errors turning the disc unreadable when, for example, copying the content to harddrive. Then i bought a new spindle with Benq (Acer) Gold, certified for 48x writing.

ATIP: 97m 22s 67f
Disc Manufacturer: Acer Media Technology, Inc.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Now some strange things happends. I burn a CloneCD image at max speed, using the profile for Safedisc, no AWS. CloneCD refuses to burn over 16x speed:-(. Discs good though. I burn a plain bin/cue with latest Nero, when Smartburn is enabled, max 40x is possible to use. I turn off Smartburn, burns at 48X, the disc is unreadable. I try burning with CDRwin 3.9b, max speed, raw mode, buffer underrun enabled, disc unreadable or coaster. Again i burn a bin/cue, latest Blindwrite, max speed, disc unreadable. Max speed with Blindwrite gets up to around 32x. Nero CD Speed gives me errors all the time, cant measure there. The drive is attached to secondary channel as master, never been any problems with that. DMA is enabled, running Winxp corp sp1, P4 2.2 ghz 512 mb DDR RAM. I would like to re-flash my drive back to 40125s but i dont have the binfile. Any qualified guess whats wrong with this drive?

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/LiteOn/Firmwares/

Have you tried burning any TY media at 40x? You should get “0” errors with that. Tried a better IDE cable? How well cooled is the drive?

No, havent tried any TY, but the Acer discs are supposed to be in the top ten cd-r media, acccording to OC-Freak. The cables are fairly new, 80 pins, and the drives are well cooled, so i dont think thats the problem. Strange behavior isnt it? I´ll try to flash back to 40125s and see what will happend:-)

Originally posted by alexnoe
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/LiteOn/Firmwares/

Thanx Alex, much appreciated!

All drives have preferences for certain media, even 2 “identical” drives may exhibit different behaviour with the same media. Try some TY for the LiteOn.

OC-Freak doesn’t know the “new” Acers… :frowning: I haven’t heard anything good about Acer 32x and faster besides one single post on the cd-rw forum.

Well, i dont know much about that, was only referring to this post http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42555 I am still experimenting with different write speeds here, using Nero, CDRwin, Blindwrite and CloneCD to test. Seems like i can make good burnings when using max speed 40x on my 48x certified media, still have some testing to do though before i can say its 100% confirmed. One question, when using premade CloneCD profiles, in this case Safedisc2 no AWS, is the speed in some way defined in the profile? Coz CloneCD wont burn any faster than 16x on my 48x media when using that profile?

I dont get this!!!

Now i tried to burn a clonecd image, it went up to 38x speed in the end and finished with no errors. Disc unreadable, media was my 48x certified Benq Gold. Flashed the drive back to original 40125s, run cd speed, reported 39.97x at end, all looks well again…again tried to burn that clonecd image, this time CloneCD burns at 8x speed!!! Disc good…wtf is this? Can it be a media issue after all? I´ll try to pick up some Kodak Ultima Gold today and continue testing, or maybe some other 48x certified media…this really puzzles me a lot:-(

My personal opinion is that OC didn’t know too much about media. He totally ignores the fact that LiteOns are a bit picky about media, and that a bad result in a LiteOn does not necessarily mean that the media is bad.
The only writers which do allow such a conclusion are Plextors 12x and 24x (not 40x!).

In his list, he put TDK and Mitsubishi into the bad list. But they are not bad at all (besides some TDK-made d-View). LiteOns just don’t like them.
As to Prodisc, they appearently send all their crap to Germany. US seems to get good ones…

Acer 24x were really good, but results with Acer 32x and above are worse (of course not always. Most manufacturers sell discs of varying quality)

OK, i rely on your opinion:-)…couldnt find any Kodak cd-r, got myself a bunch of TDK 48x certified (not D-view) so i will test them now…lets hope they will work 100%, otherwise i consider the burner dead, or at least semi-dead…

If you are looking for a flash back to 40125s then goto cdrinfo.com and look under articles, and then overclocking, then look to right and choose Liteon. I made a bunch of WINDOW flashers for the LTR-40125s drives so you don’t have to mess with mtkflash and they all can be performed without leaving windows. Anyway, the good boyz at CDRInfo hosted them for everyone. These flashers will let you go from ANY ZSxx to any of the VSxx firmwares and vice versa. I have a bunch more made but have not sent them over to them to host. I also made them for the LTR-32125W and the LTR-40125W drives.

Here is my original thread from a few months ago.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48196

Great stuff Porch, but as being a PC tech veteran i have no trouble using the DOS flasher BUT…i will for sure download yer stuff and check it out coz it will make life much easier for the people with non-DOS knowledge (yes, there´s a lot of them)…hehehehe

@PorchSong

I have space now on the webbpage. But my emailbox isn’t big enough. :slight_smile: But I think we can solve it in some way.

/Dyzan

Originally posted by Dyzan
[B]@PorchSong

I have space now on the webbpage. But my emailbox isn’t big enough. :slight_smile: But I think we can solve it in some way.

/Dyzan [/B]

Cool,

I can set up a ftp server for you to grab them all.

P.M. so we can set it up.

@PorchSong

Check your PM.

/Dyzan

I’m ready to test it too!
Please get me in the loop…

Originally posted by PorchSong
[B]If you are looking for a flash back to 40125s then goto cdrinfo.com and look under articles, and then overclocking, then look to right and choose Liteon. I made a bunch of WINDOW flashers for the LTR-40125s drives so you don’t have to mess with mtkflash and they all can be performed without leaving windows. Anyway, the good boyz at CDRInfo hosted them for everyone. These flashers will let you go from ANY ZSxx to any of the VSxx firmwares and vice versa. I have a bunch more made but have not sent them over to them to host. I also made them for the LTR-32125W and the LTR-40125W drives.

Here is my original thread from a few months ago.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48196 [/B]

I tested your flasher and flashed my 40125s to 48125w…without reboot, no hassle at all…and im very pleased to announce that it worked PERFECT!:-)…tried Nero CD Speed with 48x certified media, startup 22.55x, highest 48.75x and average 37.66. CAV writing…:-)…great work Porch!