Just got a lite-on 32x12x40x and my 32x burns take longer than 16x (7min vs 5min) because SMART Burn keeps kicking in at 32x. The buffer bar in nero keeps going empty at 32x but not during 16x. I used nero's CD Speed program v0.84beta and got this on the write test:
It doesn't ever go over 20x, averaging 17x. SMART Burn kept kicking in.
Also look at the read test:
It doesn't go over 20x either.
Here's what I have tried (I'm using win98SE),
- different media, rated 32x
- DMA is checked in windows device manager for cdrw and all HDDs
- UDMA is on in the bios (auto)
- bootup shows UDMA 33 is the mode the HDDs are in, none is what the cdrw is in
- installed new intel chipset inf drivers (but checking the driver versions afterwards seems to be no different, they are all still 1999 drivers)
- installed nero aspi
- installed 4.70 of aspi (was 4.60), but afterwards still says 4.60 is version
- disconnected HDD and changed cdrw to master, no slave
- swapped IDE cable with the one that came with the drive
only thing I haven't done is update the firmware because lite-on's site says the newer ones just match more media. Now what do I do?