Lite-On 32x any faster?

vbimport

I bought a new Lite-On 32x12x40x. I was backing up my audio CD which had 660mb data. I used clonecd to make an image and then to burn it on a 16x 700 mb CDR (Acer). It took me 6:30min to make an image and 9:10min to burn it. I had my read and write settings to max and yet it took that long. Then I used Nero 5.5 to rip another audio cd which was about 450 mb. I used a similar CDR (16x) and had my write read speed set to 40x and speed set to 32x. It again took me like 5min to read and 8 min to write. I dont why it took so long. Is it because my CDR was 16x, but then why did it accept 32x write speed. The other day I burned a 700 mb data from hard drive onto a Imation 24x 700 mb CDR and it took me like 9minutes and I used the verify option which took an additional 22 min. This is ridiculously slow. I am new with CDRW :frowning: Any ideas on how to improve the speed?

Thanks

make sure you have dma enabled on your writer and your reader also your hard drive i have got the 24 speed liteon and i can burn a full cd on the fly at 3:30 minutes

cheers bighun

chemieboy

you need to be a little more specific with your system information.

As you did not mention the OS that you are running, I can not be specific for suggesting a tweak for your OS with this regard.

If you happen to run Windows XP, MAKE SURE that you disable the native burning finction (adaptec) that comes with XP.

If you have this OS write back and I would go into more detail as to what you should do.

But here are a few hardware hints that could help you get the started.

• Try to install the latest Chipset driver including the IDE drivers appropriate to the chipset in your main board. For instance if your board has a VIA chipset the install the latest 4in1 V. 4.28 and the IDE performance drivers. Keep in mind that Clone 3.3.X has been optimised to specially take advantage of the main board chipset drivers.

• Next try to install your Liteon 32X perfearbly as a master in available IDE channels that you have, depending your configuration that could be Secondary Master. It is best not to chain the reader ( if you have a separate reader) and the burner in the same IDE channel, although it can work but not advisable.

• Try to invest in an 80pin IDE cable rather than the ordinary 40pin IDE cable to maximise the data transfer, gain a bit more performance and in the same time be able to correctly enable the UDMA 33 transfer mode for the burner.

= Although Clone is not directly dependant on ASPI layer make sure that you are atleast running the latest ASPI layer 4.60(1021)
If not you can d/l from adpatec site, they become very useful in a variety of CD/RW operation and or utilities.

• As far as the Acer 16X CDs are concerned, I have been using them and I have been burning at full 40X and 32X in both of ny writers in the same time using either Nero or Clone and the total burn time for either burner is not nearly as much as what you have been getting. More like 3-3.5 min respectively for 40X and 32X.

I am guessing the reason that Nero allows the 40X burn speed is that, Acer CD is using a very similar that the multispeed TDK which is 40X compatibile and Liteon Multispeed is using.

I have not have a single hickup at all using ACER CDs at Max speed of 40X which is way higher than their 16X claim.

• Finally a good clean defreged Hard drive also plays a role in overall performance as well.

• Last but not least, if you have not updated the FW for your Drive, update to the latest version.

Give these a try and see if you see a difference.

I have a new Lite-On 32x12x40x. My OS is windows 98.

I have 96 mb RAM, is that too little as when I burning I cannot do anything else on computer.

IDE config: Primary IDE, master - 3 GB hard drive, slave - 3 GB hard drive. Secondary IDE, master - Zip drive, slave - CDRW.

I have tried 16x Acer CDR, 16x Imation CDR, 24x Imation CDR and 32x TDK CDRs. I could chose write speed as 32x using Nero for all these media and it would say burning at 3200k/s, yet it would take a long time. I dont understand why did it say buring at 3200k/s even with low speed media like 16x Imation and Acer CDR. Is something wrong with the CDRW or with the Nero software?

How can I enable DMA on CDRW and hard-drive? I have XS06 firmware. Is that the latest, if not where can I change it to the latest and how can I install it?

I a complete begginner so don’t know much about it and I have read a lot of firmware and enabling DMA but dont follow much about it. I really appreciate your help.

Ok first off there is a new FW that is avaialable for your drive
XS0R and can be downloaded here

http://www.liteonit.com/webfw/LTR-32123S/Enduser/R32XS0R.zip

This FW is improving the readability according to Liteon and
improves media compatibility. The effect in over all speed is trivial.

Never the less I would advise you to consider upgrading yours.

The procedure is simple just d/l the FW and run it on windows, make sure that there is no CD in the drive and you have exited all programs and noting is running in the back ground before you do that.

Next try to change the places of your Zip drive and the CDRW, making the CDRW Master and the Zip drive Slave, definately for better performance.

As I have mentioned before the quality of the IDE cable that you are using in the back of your CDRW can also play an important rule in this eqaution, upgrading the 40pin IDE to an 80pin IDE cable is only a few dollars.

>> have 96 mb RAM, is that too little as when I burning I cannot do anything else on computer. <<

Precisesly !

This is the slow down in your IDE BUS and is not very much RAM related. YOU NEED TO INSTALL the appropriate chipset driver for your board, i.e. Intel or VIA depending on what is used on your board.

Find out what Chipset is on your main board and follow through with installing the appropriate Chipset drivers for your board as I have mentioned before.

I can not stress on this enough as this will make a big difference in the speed of your IDE transfer and hence a big effect on your CDRW speed so the IDE does not get chocked to death whle you are burning to the point that you can not do anything else while you are burning.

As far as enabling the DMA in windows 98, right click on my computer and the click on properties, then click on device manager.

Now look for the section that says CD Rom drives, expand the list by clicking the plus sign next to it. Now right click on the drive that shows as your burner and clcik on the properties tab and you would see the DMA transfer tab in there. Put a check mark in it.

Using the certified CD is as always good but the only difference you get using a 24X certified Vs. a 16X certified in your 32X is a matter of a few seconds not minutes which has been in your case.

Your target shoud be in the low 3.5-4minutes if you burn on the fly or slightly above that if you are burning from the image.

Is that 32x 12x 40x lite-on the same one that was reviewed in the April Issue of Maximum PC given the 9 rating? Also, what model is your burner?

Thanks PaRaDoX for the detailed info, I am really grateful to you.

I have enabled DMA for both my hard drives, Zip drive and CDRW. I will upgrade the firmware, but if it does not work well can I go back to the old firmware, if yes where can I find the file for firmware XS06.

I am planning to add another 96mb chipset to make the total RAM to 192 mb. Hopefully that should be enough. Well dont have a tower unit is the old fashoined flat CPU unit, on which you place your monitor. So the zip drive is place such that it becomes difficult to have zip drive as slave and CDRW as master, but I have another longer IDE chord and that should help.

About the 80 pin IDE, I would need to buy the 2 IDE chords as well as the ones go on the mother board? How much would that cost?

I did not understand what you meant by Intel/ VIA chipset. What kind of chips are these?

I was checking the BIOS of my system and noticed that for the hard drives had Ultra DMA disabled inspite of me enabling DMA for the hard drives from the Windows. I dont know what the UDMA is for, also for the CDRW it was PIO or something like that on the BIOS. Is that an ok setting?

Thank you.

Well as far as the new FW is concerned, it should not cause much hassle, if anything it would improve your media compatibility, but as to be able to flash it back, I have heard but not experienced that there are some DOS utilities that would allow you to flash the FW back.

As I never had the need to do that I am not familiar with exactly what they are.

If you are not very comfortable with flashing then don’t do it as the gain is not that substantial and marginal.

As for the chipset I am refering to the main controller chip that is installed in your main board which in a sense responsible to quite literally the full control of all the aspects and functions of your board from the timing of the PCI slots, AGP , CPU control and timimg, control the speed of the IDE ports and timings in the memory module is only to name a few.

If you are not quite familiar as to how to determine the chipset in your board consult your Mother board manual and you should see names like Intel, VIA or ALI or AMD which are the three big chipset manufacteres.

Depending of which processor you are running you might have a different chipset. Generally Most AMD Atlon CPUs have a VIA chipset with a few exception, and most Intel CPUs again generally have an INtel chipset with some exceptions as some can use the VIA as well.

Once you have determined what chipset is installed in your board, you can go to the appropriate web site and d/l the appropriate chipset drivers for that manufacter.

Increasing the RAM is always good but is not the solution to your problem. By all means increase the RAM if you feel the need you can always take advantage of it, but IT IS NOT going to make a difference in your over all speed of the burner or IDE bus for that fact, other than giving you a better bandwidth.

The importance of an 80 Pin cable is that theoritically it allows a better transfer of information as the resistance in that cable is lower than the 40pin IDE cable. It’s the type of cables that have blue, Black and Gray ends and is usually included in the new mani boards. The cost is trivial and depending of where you live it could fluctuate but not a big margin comparing to the 40 pin IDE cable.

We are talking about probably between 20-30 dollars in Australia. The rounded version of that cable could be a bit more expensive up to 40+.

As far as the Bios is concerned by all means change the transfer mode both in your IDE mode and the CD/RW to UDMA from PIO mode. Depending of how fussy your bios is it might not able you to do that unless you have the correct IDE 80pin cables. But by all means do change them to UDMA whwre ever possible.

Replacing the CD/RW to the Master migh be a pain but it is worth it as most liteons are known to be a better performer when thay are connected in that mode. There have been some reports that some liteons REFUSED to change over to the UDMA mode and got stock in PIO mode UNLESS they were installed as a Master !

Hello PaRaDoX,

I tried to have CDRW as master and zip disk as slave with some difficulty, but then the system would not start windows also when it was booting it did not detect the CDRW but could detect the zip drive.
Then only had CDRW as master and no slave (did not attach zip drive) and booted up ok and could detect the CDRW. I don’t know how to come around this problem. Any ideas!!

Now I am back to the original setting master zip dr, slave CDRW.
In the BIOS I noticed for CDRW UDMA was diabled and I could not do anything about it. Also for the hard disk form UDMA it had mode 2 and for data transfer it had PIO II or something like that. I dont what these things mean. I guess the UDMA was diabled because I have a 40 pin IDE.

I checked the chipset, they are intel. So I checked the Intel site and used their chipset identity checker utility, but it said the chipset detected was not in their database. So I will call up the Gateway company and ask them (The manual is missing).

Regarding the 80 pin IDE, I actually haven’t seen how they look. Can the connect to the 40 pin IDE conductor on the mother board. Also at the back of the zip drive and CDRW I dont see how the 80 pin IDE would fit. Is there an adapter for it.

Thanks.

I was checking for IDE cables. The latest ones I found said:

[B]Ultra ATA/66/100/133 IDE Ribbon Cable

Improve Your Data Transfer Rate to 133 MB/s

2’ (24") 80-conductor

(3) 40-pin connectors

IDE Ultra ATA/133 Ribbon Cable[/B]

Are these the ones you are talking about. They ar quite cheap like US $6.

This site has the chipset softwares, which one should I install?
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/

Ok as for your system not wanting to boot up when you have changed the Master and slave position, its really strange ! as it should not have anything to do with the system booting up as your HDD is in a separtae IDE channel.

If I had to guess, I would say that it probably have something to do with your bios settings, if you can have a look at the bootup sequence and confirm it again, just to be sure.

As for not being able to change the Transfer mode in the Bios, still I had to guess, I would say since the Bios does not detect the ATA66/100 cables it would remain defiant to allow you to change the transfer Mode.

The Damn PIO mode or any of its many varierties are painfully Sloooow !

As for the IDE ATA66/100 cables you are spot on, make sure that they are a decent quality as they are a lot of imitations are out there.

The tip end of the 40pin or an 80 Pin cable are exactly the same and are universally standard and would fit the same way as the Normal 40 Pin IDE cable would fit in.

The only difference between these cables and the reason they are called 80 as oppose to 40 is the number of little tiny wires that make the ribbon IDE cable are doubled in the 80 Pin cable, thus reducing resistance to the information flow.

Now as for your chipset, first identify exactly what chipset you have by the identification utility that is listed on the same page Identify your Intel® chipset and next try to update your chipset using Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility.

At this stage with your new IDE cables in place, try to do a test run on your burner doing a simulation to see any speed difference.

If the difference is still not quite there, then try the Next utility on the Intel page which is called Intel® Bus Master IDE driver and then repeat the same test and see if that has made a difference.

I would not worry about Intel® Application Accelerator, as it really does not do much here and is better left off.

Finally have a look at this URL to give you a better understanding of all of these IDE transfer mode jargins,

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/modes.htm

Its a bit of reading but it would make it a bit easer for you to get a good over all picture.

While you are at it make sure to grab the latest Version of Clone which is the Clone CD V 4.0.0.0.

You can read all the details about it and what it does in the main forum and Clone Forum.

I have already ordered the new IDE cables. I will upgrade my BIOS and see if I am able to enable the UDMA mode for CDRW.
I will keep you posted about it. Thanks.

Finally I managed to enable UDMA and the speed did improve greatly. Now I am burning 700mb in 6:30 min irrespective of the CDR media (i used 16x, 24x, 32). Better than 10min I took before, but still the 3:30min magic figure is eluding me.

I am still expecting the IDE cables to be shipped.

Hi there,

Glad to see things are improving !

Keep in mind now, when you are burning, speed of the process also has a lot to do with the type of CD, information being read and written and most importatnly the quality of your reader as well.

If you are burning on the fly then it is imperative how fast and accurate your reader is, i.e. Liteon DVD LTD-163 is an all around great reader including SD2 although not as fast as some others when it comes to FES.

Toshiba DVD SD-1402 on the other hand is exceptionally fast in reading SD/Sd2 specially, much faster than liteon. i.e. that is how I got my 3:30 marker.

The proper IDE cables do play an important role as well.

I appreciate your suggetion, but I do not have another CD-ROM drive :frowning:

I am always burning of the hard drive!!

Just caught up with this thread!

Re your problem when swapping the Liteon to master on the second IDE channel, you did alter the jumpers on the drive appropriately, did you? If not, it would only be recognised in the absence of a second drive (zip or whatever)

Yes I did change the jumpers settings on both the CDRW and the zip drive. I know this is weird but the computer won’t just load the win 98. I don’t know why :confused: