Lite-On 32123s and DMA under XP Lockup

vbimport

I seem to be having problems using my lite-on 32/12/40 as a cdrom (installing games or software) when the drive has dma enabled it locks up XP compleatly (requires powerdown) seems ok burning with nero and clonecd with dma enabled.

system

Gigabyte 7IXE4 with bios FAd (latest)
256mb Ram
30gig Segate HD
Geforce 2 Ti graphics card
runnin win XP
Creative Live Value sound card

all seems fine with everything else just using the drive as cdrom it seems ok under PIO mode but slow as feck.

any help or advice would be great

thanx in advance

Megazoid

This is most likely not a drive problem. It’s probably a win XP/driver/software problem.

Things to try:

-Newer IDE drivers.
-Make sure you have all updates from windows update.
-Any packet writing softwares installed? Any CD-ROM emulators installed? What burning programs installed?

I’m using amd’s latest ide drivers for the board, and had the latest xp updates, not using any packet writing software and the only writing programs are Nero which was bundled with the drive 5.5.5.6 and clonecd 3.3.4.1 and no cdrom emulators running either.

Its got me stumped may have to take the whole pc to the shop and see what they think i unfortunaly have no spare memory or other bits to test it with incase of it being the motherboard or mem

cheers

megazoid

i solved the problem i belive i ditched XP and installed ME :slight_smile:

thanx for the help

megazoid

I would think that ME was too great a step backwards. I run Win2000 with no problems at all. More stable than ME.

I ran Windows Update after my latest reformat… Screwed up my system bad but luckily I managed to uninstall the latest updates.

Now runs rock solid.

The newest updates are not always good…

I agree. The newest updates are frequently buggy. This particularly applies to the M$ operating systems. XP still has too many issues, even built-in spying. Fuck Bill Gates. If you want stability and reliability, Win2kPro, with service pack 2 is what you want.

Originally posted by Tremo
I agree. The newest updates are frequently buggy. This particularly applies to the M$ operating systems. XP still has too many issues, even built-in spying. Fuck Bill Gates. If you want stability and reliability, Win2kPro, with service pack 2 is what you want.

Yeah, exactly. The only reason I use WinXP instead of Win2kPro is the ability to switch user with having to log-out. Because there are more than one user on this computer I can have my stuff running the other users are logged in.

Otherwise Win2k is the best.