Lite-On 20A4P - $20.99 - Free Shipping - NewEgg

vbimport

Nice price no reason now for someone not having a DVD burner.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2097346]Nice price no reason now for someone not having a DVD burner.[/QUOTE]

…or multiple burners!

Edit: and yes I just bought it. Thanks a lot, Negritude.

Is this one of the models that can’t do PIE/PIF scanning?

[QUOTE=RWP;2097557]Is this one of the models that can’t do PIE/PIF scanning?[/QUOTE]

All Lite-On burners do quality scanning. That’s what they’re known for. You’re thinking of some other brand.

[QUOTE=RWP;2097557]Is this one of the models that can’t do PIE/PIF scanning?[/QUOTE]

No it can. PIE/PIF and jitter scans in this thread.

Negritude, I think there was a Liteon model mentioned in the thread I linked to where they talk about a 20A3 not being able to do jitter.

[QUOTE=FriendOf;2097598]No it can. PIE/PIF and jitter scans in this thread.

Negritude, I think there was a Liteon model mentioned in the thread I linked to where they talk about a 20A3 not being able to do jitter.[/QUOTE]

The 20A3 can do jitter with a later version of CD/DVD speed. Besides, jitter is only one component of quality scanning, which is not what was asked about. If the person wanted to know if it couldn’t do jitter scanning specifically then they should have said that.

I know. I was typing just before you posted…not trying to steal your thunder. I’m just assuming that was the model that could have caused some confusion because of the similar model numbers.

Just got mine today. I can semi-retire the 160P6S now. This one scans just as good (some recent Lite-on drives I tried give a huge spike at the beginning, this one doesn’t). And this one actually writes well except the jitter is higher than I’m used to. I never have used a Lite-On for writing, the 20A4P I could.

I should know but I forgot :slight_smile: Does the 20A4P scan jitter all the way through on DL DVD’s or does it stop half way through?

[QUOTE=negritude;2097602]The 20A3 can do jitter with a later version of CD/DVD speed. Besides, jitter is only one component of quality scanning, which is not what was asked about. If the person wanted to know if it couldn’t do jitter scanning specifically then they should have said that.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2098907]I should know but I forgot :slight_smile: Does the 20A4P scan jitter all the way through on DL DVD’s or does it stop half way through?[/QUOTE]Half way, the 20A3 series are the only Liteys to complete DL jitter at this point.

First burn on mine. Manufacture date is June 2008.

@ negritude… pretty damn hard to complain about that :wink: … i would be more than happy with that burn myself as i dont think ill ever see burns that good on my 2005 Lite-On burner… i probably average roughly 20-30k PIE’s (max spike usually no more than 30ish) and roughly 500ish PIF’s (max spike usually never more than a 3) … i probably need to get another drive as the Lite-On 1673S is the only dvd burner i own but the way i see it… is why get another burner (although having one for a backup is probably a smart idea :wink: ) when the one i have clearly works well and burns overall ‘pretty good’ (like to the point i would never have to worry about discs failing etc) when i could put that 30ish dollars towards more DVD+R’s :wink:

i guess the main thing in upgrading my drive though is i could burn @ 16x which on my drive pretty much aint going to happen (as far as i could tell from burning Memorex CMC MAG M01’s @ 16x) as i use 8x burning which aint bad and is ‘quick enough’ for what i use.

just some thoughts :wink:

negritude

That is some batch of MCC 004 media you have stashed…that burn looks as good as the BenQ 1640 thread where you posted a burn…:bigsmile:

well this burn 18x media at 20x or is there 20x media cause i never seen any

[QUOTE=chaosoffar2k;2098911]Half way, [B]the 20A3 series are the only Liteys to complete DL jitter at this point.[/B][/QUOTE]

Does anyone know where to get these at a halfway decent price?

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2099536]Does anyone know where to get these at a halfway decent price?[/QUOTE]

Newegg if you are located in usa:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106079

$23.99 + ship…ETA for stock is tomorrow

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2099536]Does anyone know where to get these at a halfway decent price?[/QUOTE]

Look around for a cheap rebadge. Sony DRU-190A, Optiarc AD-7190A, and any number of other models. And, as was stated, you can just buy a new OEM one from NewEgg.

Thanks, Roadhog and negritude. I must’ve stopped looking on newegg when I got to the sold out ones - didn’t realize they were on newegg and would be back tomorrow.

Oh, and it’s retail too. Nice.

[QUOTE=negritude;2099189]First burn on mine. Manufacture date is June 2008.[/QUOTE]

Is this an “A” or “S” firmware drive?