Lite-On 20A1H refuses to read Dual Layer DVDs

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LH-20A1H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve been using this drive for almost two years now, and I can’t really complain about the general quality of the product: it burns CDs and DVDs really well, ripping Audio CDs with EAC is mostly a breeze, and it reads problematic CDs and DVDs.

But, despite I have several DL-DVDs, the truth is I never bothered to use one until now. And the results are awful. The drive consistently refuses to read any of these DVDs, not even showing the contents when I use Explorer. The windows just sits there as the drive makes short mechanical sounds, but no spinning.

All of these DVDs are in pristine state, as I rarely have used them, and there are no burned discs, only original copies (PC games). I yet have to test them in other drives, but I can’t understand why the drive refuses to read them. I upgraded the firmware to LL0D (previously it was LL0C), and a couple of discs are now recognized, but the vast majority is still as before.

Is my drive damaged in any way, or is it just a general issue with this particular model? Would I solve the problem downgrading the firmware, perhaps?

What brand are the disks and what is on them, or are they blank?

As I said, these are PC games, so Nero Disc Speed is not reporting any media brand. Of course, they’re not blank, and they contain the games executables, setup programs, files for the autorun function, various libraries needed by the games, documents (PDF and TXT), and resources containing games data.

You do have an 80 ide cable?

AFAIK yes, it’s using one. Does such thing influence the reading capabilities of the drive?

Yes.

OK, I just came back from under the desk, and the cable is round, so that rules out the possibility of checking up the number of wires just like it’s done with the flat kind. Is there an easy way to tell them apart? Does Windows report it the drive is using a 40 or a 80-wire cable?

Usually the bios on some boards will tell that you have a 40 wire cable. Just to be on the safe side, replace the cable with the flat ribbon cable and see what happens. I have had round cable get broken wires easily.

My experience tells me IDE cable has nothing to do with CD/DVD drives ability to read discs. :flower:
The 40 x-tra conductors are only ground lines, nothing else. No data is transfered in those.

My take on this problem, try another drive as reader. :slight_smile:

OK, this afternoon I asked a friend to try some of the problematic discs in his unit (a Pioneer DVR-111), and all of them worked without a hitch. So that rules out a problem with them.

I might try one of the custom firmwares offered in the forum before taking advantage of the drive warranty, which I believe is still current.

One thing we may have overlooked. Get a can of compressed air and open the tray and blow out anything inside the drive. Dust on the lens can cause major problems. A cleaning disk will do also.

Mine does the same dang thing! If you insert a blank DVD +R D/L, most of the time, it won’t recognize that the disc has been inserted. Sometimes, very rarely, it will work and burn ok. Using the latest LL0D firmware and have tried 2 different brand DVD. RICOHJPND01 and now just tried tonight RITEK S04. Does this drive just not like +R D/L dvds? I have read of others experiencing the same thing. grrrrrrrrr

Any ideas as to what the deal is here?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=Aftrburnr;2230609]Mine does the same dang thing! If you insert a blank DVD +R D/L, most of the time, it won’t recognize that the disc has been inserted. Sometimes, very rarely, it will work and burn ok. Using the latest LL0D firmware and have tried 2 different brand DVD. RICOHJPND01 and now just tried tonight RITEK S04. Does this drive just not like +R D/L dvds? I have read of others experiencing the same thing. grrrrrrrrr

Any ideas as to what the deal is here?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

This drive doesnt like crap DL media like those you mentioned.

Had no idea that these were considered crap discs as you put it. But, I have a Samsung drive that has no problems with either of them. I was hoping to find out if many others were having my same problems. Before I posted, I did do a search & I guess only a few are. Another guess would be that possibly this issue might be corrected in some future firmware release but it doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen and I didn’t see anything from C0deKing for this drive.

The ONLY reliable DL media is made by VERBATIM.

I approve the above message.

Ok, thanks for the info on the discs then. I’ll go try and get some of those and see how they work and if I get any differences.

I am having some trouble with Verbatim +R DL discs.

I burned several in the past with no problems. I burned two a week ago and apparently they burned fine.
I burned one yesterday and the result is unplayable. Explorer does not recognize the disc and my standalone player doesn’t either.

I just bought another Verbatim blank and it’s not recognized by Windows…

All were 2.4x Verbatims…I wonder is my drive might be failing after almost two years of hard work…

Check the package, what dioes it show about “Made In …”?
“windows” cannot deal with BLANK DVDs. Run imgburn and check the MID/disc info.

There is no way for me to check anything on IMGBURN because after spinning for a few minutes, all I get is DEVICE NOT READY (NO REFERENCE POSITION FOUND)

Thses are all 2.4x discs btw, and burned at 2.4

Another one that looks to be the same and plays fine is

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: MKM-001-00
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2