Lite-On 1693S and memorex cd-r

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SOHW-1693S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have been using a Lite-On 1693S on several systems, running Linux, and using cdrecord and growisofs to burn CDs and DVDs respectively.

Today, I received new CD media, which are Memorex CD-R, advertised for music, with colors, in a 100 CD cake. After making a couple of coasters, I tried using a different model drive, on an older system we have. The media worked there. But it would not work in any of the Lite-On drives.

The Revision codes are KS09 on the Lite-On drives. All the other media I use works fine.

Can anyone make suggestions? I’d like to be able to read and write with my 1693S drives, using this new Memorex CD-R media. Thanks.

Try throwing one of the 1693S drives into a Windows machine, update it to firmware KS0B, and see if that helps. If not, you will probably just have to avoid the combination of those Memorex CD-R and that drive model.

[QUOTE=Albert;2451857]Try throwing one of the 1693S drives into a Windows machine, update it to firmware KS0B, and see if that helps. If not, you will probably just have to avoid the combination of those Memorex CD-R and that drive model.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been googling on this for the last 8 hours.

Two questions…is there a downside to KS0B? (or is KS0B known to fix media compatibility issues?)

And, is there a way to load the firmware with a linux box? I don’t have any windows systems, or system disc.