LITE-ON 1653S (CS02) and CMC MAG. AE1 = coasters

Hi,

I recently bought a LITE-ON 1653S (f/w CS02) drive along with some CMC DVD Disks CMC MAG. AE1. I’m burning vobs to them using nero but nearly everyone is turning out to ba a coaster, even my PC can’t read them (just makes weird clicking noises when trying).

How can I tell if it’s the drive, the disks or nero that is at fault?

Thanks

Here’s the kprobe details:

VID LITE-ON
PID DVDRW SOHW-1653S
F/W Revision CS02
Date Code 2004/10/12 14:44
FlashROM Manufacturer ID C2
FlashROM Device ID 37
FlashROM Type MXIC(MX29LV008B)(+3.3V)
Region 2
Vendor Resets Available 4
User Resets Available 4
RPC Scheme RPC II
Interleaved DMA Not Supported
Command queuing Not Supported
Overlap operation Not Supported
IORDY Supported
IORDY may be disabled Not Supported
LBA Supported
DMA Supported
Multiword DMA mode 2
PIO mode 4
Ultra DMA Mode 4
Minimum Multiword DMA transfer cycle time per word 120 ns
Manufacturer¡¦s recommended Multiword DMA transfer cycle time 120 ns
Minimum PIO transfer cycle time without flow control 227 ns
Minimum PIO transfer cycle time with IORDY flow control 120 ns
Major version number ATA/ATAPI-5
SMART feature set Not Supported
Security Mode feature set Not Supported
Removable Media feature set Not Supported
Power Management feature set Not Supported
Burst Rate 1.79 MB/S

Disc Type DVD-R
Book Type DVD-R
Manufacturer CMC Magnetics Corporation
Media ID CMC MAG. AE1
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 4.38 GB
Free Blocks 2297888
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 3.2x
Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
Current Write Speed 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV

@ timjwild
How long do your burns take to complete? With these discs, it should take around 10 minutes. First thing i would recommend is to check your DMA as your Kprobe burst rate is 1.79Mb/s :eek: This number should be at least 33mb/s. Your ‘current transfer mode’ (in WinXP) should be either "ultra dma mode 2’ or Ultra dma mode 4’…not ‘multi-word dma mode 2’ or ‘pio mode’.
Next, I might try upgrading to newer firmwares…CS0C is the latest officially available.
You can check your results with Kprobe 2.4.2 BLER scans(scanned at 4x scan speed the forum standard for comparison). You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean. PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF Attaching disc quality scansto your post of burns done after these suggestions will help us help you :iagree:

Hi,

An upgrade to F/W CSOC seems to have resolved this problem. A successful burn taks about 12 minutes.

Just in case anybody is interested the drive info is now as follows.

VID LITE-ON
PID DVDRW SOHW-1653S
F/W Revision CS0C
Date Code 2005/01/10 17:34
FlashROM Manufacturer ID C2
FlashROM Device ID 37
FlashROM Type MXIC(MX29LV008B)(+3.3V)
Region 2
Vendor Resets Available 4
User Resets Available 4
RPC Scheme RPC II
Interleaved DMA Not Supported
Command queuing Not Supported
Overlap operation Not Supported
IORDY Supported
IORDY may be disabled Not Supported
LBA Supported
DMA Supported
Multiword DMA mode 2
PIO mode 4
Ultra DMA Mode 4
Minimum Multiword DMA transfer cycle time per word 120 ns
Manufacturer¡¦s recommended Multiword DMA transfer cycle time 120 ns
Minimum PIO transfer cycle time without flow control 227 ns
Minimum PIO transfer cycle time with IORDY flow control 120 ns
Major version number ATA/ATAPI-5
SMART feature set Not Supported
Security Mode feature set Not Supported
Removable Media feature set Not Supported
Power Management feature set Not Supported
Burst Rate 14.21 MB/S

I changed the DMA setting but the burst rate is still only half of what please says it should be.

I need to do some reading now to learn what please means by:

‘current transfer mode’ (in WinXP) should be either "ultra dma mode 2’ or Ultra dma mode 4’…not ‘multi-word dma mode 2’ or ‘pio mode’.

I’m using win2k

I’m happy (for now) though because at least I’m not burning coasters anymore.

Regards

@ timjwild

I need to do some reading now to learn what please means by:

‘current transfer mode’ (in WinXP) should be either "ultra dma mode 2’ or Ultra dma mode 4’…not ‘multi-word dma mode 2’ or ‘pio mode’.

I’m using win2k
If you follow my ‘DMA’ link from my previous post, you will see the window where you check/change transfer mode. The window is entitled ‘Primary(or secondary) IDE Channel Properties>Advanced Settings’ you will see the ‘current transfer mode’ window I was speaking of. There is where you see what transfer mode you are in.

Hi,

I have another problem with this drive. It won’t read a +r disk for which which kprobe gives the following information.

Disc Type DVD-ROM
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer
Media ID
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6
Capacity 7.34 GB
Layer 0 Capacity 3.98 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 2
Track Path OTP
Linear Density 0.293 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 11.2x

I’ve searched on book type in the forums and downloaded/run the book type utility from liteon:

http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_utility.asp

but the posts and software appear to focus on writing a +r when I’m having trouble reading one.

Any hints or tips appreciated.

Regards

First thing, what are the results of the burn? could you scan it with nero of Kprobe and upload it.

The fact you only have half burst rate, gives me the idea that your BIOS settings are wrong or maybe your XP install is crappy and needs a reinstall. What kind of IDE cable do you use and how is the drive connected? (master/slave, another device etc)

I just finished burning a CMC MAG E01 and no pb with BSOS.

Maybe I should have started a new thread, my problems are no longer with burning but with reading a DVD+R.

In answer to relex:

… half burst rate, gives me the idea that your BIOS settings are wrong or maybe your XP install is crappy and needs a reinstall. What kind of IDE cable do you use and how is the drive connected? (master/slave, another device etc)

I am using a bog standard ide cable (I didn’t know there were different types other than cable select) and the drive is set as master and is the only one on the cable.

I am about to invest in a new HDD (120GB 7200rpm IDE) and upgrade from win2k to winxp. Maybe this will help.

Regards

@ timjwild
Does your reading problem only occur with dvd+R media that you burnt, or does this also include pressed discs as well.

You could try deleting the IDE controller that the 1653 resides on and reboot to let windows redetect the drive.

You could also try an 80-wire IDE cable for your drive. They are relatively inexpensive.

Also see this post concerning PSUs.