Lite ON 163D Is CR*P waste of money.. Lite on stinks

:Z Lite ON

It really hurt me today, when I tried to play an old MP3 cd that I made some time ago,

2 X speed cd-rom (warner) works perfect

16x DVD 48x CDrom (LiteON) makes noise only but doesnt even recognise the cd, and thats for nearly all the cds I try in it.

I have tried nearly all the firmwares, I am just sick of Lite ON CR*P, ALL the CDS work OK in they writers. and some even made using an Lite on burner.

Whats the point of having a Reader that doesnt even read, what a shame. (thanks to the ase hle in the shop, he might have sold me this on purpose)

Please, I requst anyone who might have some tricks to make any use of this drive.

:frowning: very very upset
aj

I don’t think you should blame the LiteON drive, but the crap media you’re using :a

I’ve not had many reading problems with me LTD-163D, and especially not the LTD-165/166 drives.

If it’s just that one disc or CD-R disc-type then I would guess it’s the media.

Else the drive may be defective and you should return it for a new one if there is warranty left.

I had this kind of behaviour and it disapeared when I flashed with latest Dell firmware.

Go figure why but it worked :bigsmile: so I do not complain now :wink:

@ thibouille
Please enlighten me do tell me about this Dells firmware.

I have flashed it few times, with no luck. (using GhrA from digi aka mangos website)

@ Lvsitano
I am not blaming the Lite On as company, I am very happy with my Lite On Burner, Its this drive, and its just not me. :frowning:

I use all kinds of media e.g Ricoh, Tdk, Maxell, verbatim, ritek data safe etc.

Now I have the Lite On CDR that I have not used I will try that too.

@OC-Freak
The 165 seems better, but if an old 2x speed can read a cd and also Creative labs 52x on my brothers pc then I expect this drive to read the CDrs as well.

I would like you all to guide me in the right direction

Thank you very much for your help
regards
aj

I guess many people dont have these problems than.

or is it one of?

Originally posted by OC-Freak
I’ve not had many reading problems with my LTD-163D…

Me neither, I’ve been using an LTD-163D since they were originally released as my main optical drive. It reads everything I throw at it and I’ve not failed in a backup attempt yet with it as my reader.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
… the drive may be defective and you should return it for a new one if there is warranty left.

I agree with OC-Freak if the disks are fine, then I’d RMA the drive if you can or accept the fact that it has died and replace it.

Clean Lens ?

Originally posted by thibouille
[B]I had this kind of behaviour and it disapeared when I flashed with latest Dell firmware.

Go figure why but it worked :bigsmile: so I do not complain now :wink: [/B]

Yes, this was indeed also the first suggestion i wanted to make :slight_smile:

My ltd163 would’nt wanna read some real low quality crap cd’s and ofcourse dvd+r(w)

With the dell firmware it seems as if you have a complete new drive :slight_smile:

Originally posted by aj2001
[B]:Z Lite ON

It really hurt me today, when I tried to play an old MP3 cd that I made some time ago,

2 X speed cd-rom (warner) works perfect

16x DVD 48x CDrom (LiteON) makes noise only but doesnt even recognise the cd, and thats for nearly all the cds I try in it.

I have tried nearly all the firmwares, I am just sick of Lite ON CR*P, ALL the CDS work OK in they writers. and some even made using an Lite on burner.

Whats the point of having a Reader that doesnt even read, what a shame. (thanks to the ase hle in the shop, he might have sold me this on purpose)

Please, I requst anyone who might have some tricks to make any use of this drive.

:frowning: very very upset
aj [/B]

Um, how about a head cleaner.

I’ve owned a whole bunch of cdroms, A litey 163D, 165H and now a 166 and they all read any damn thing, except Princo and Ritek (manufactured) media more than 6 months old, and the dye/reflective layer has obvious defects. :stuck_out_tongue:

The liteys usually ripped thru them, dropping to about a minimum of 4x. Other DVD/cd drives didn’t fare so well… Acer (cd only), Pioneer (DVD-116, i think, and never touching pioneer drives again!) Asus (cd only) and LG (cdrw)

Rule No#1: Buy good media. It saves time now and disappointment later.

Here’s my LTD-163 story.

I’ve had it a long time, and never updated the firmware because it was wicked fast as it was.

It rips DVDs faster than my 411S. But I noticed the error correction issn’t quite as good, so it would gag on scratched source discs.

The other day I was copying an oldie but goodie that looked like it had been used for target practice at a skeet-shooting range. No matter how I tried, even ripping one file at a time with DVD Decrypter at less than 1X, neither drive could get a clean rip without multiple CRC errors.

I already had the latest FSOF firmware for the 411S, but I noticed there was a newer file for the 163 on this site. I flashed it, not expecting much.

Lo and behold, it ripped that badly pitted DVD like it had just come out of the shrinkwrap. Worth a try, IMHO.

Hey thanks for all the grat tips.

Lens???
It reads dvds, and normal cds that you buy from the the shops (pressed).:confused:

CDRW
It doesnt even read the CDRWs now I tried the lite-ON princo and data trax

Probably doesnt like copy stuff, i guess

I got it last august so I dont think the RMA etc will work.
the drive is in tip top condition.

Firmware
At the moment I have (163) GH5E

I will put in the Dell firmware and see what happens, I hope it starts working and then I can celebrate.

thanks
aj

Originally posted by Orinoco
Me neither, I’ve been using an LTD-163D since they were originally released as my main optical drive. It reads everything I throw at it and I’ve not failed in a backup attempt yet with it as my reader.

Is this a case of “famous last words”…?

I tried to copy an audio CD last night, the LTD-163D kept reading with errors on the last track, but the LTR-40125S copied it fine. Spooky :smiley:

You wont belive this but I have dells firmware in it now.

still the same problem.
I use my 32123s writer now to read cds as well.

I guess i have to live with it, The same cds work in a standalone dvd player. I think liteon might have made a mistake somewhere.

Strange dvds work pressed cds work but cdr and cdrws dont.
isnt this strange.

I feel like getting the creative cdrom drive back from my brother.

Thanks guys I dont think its anything to do with the firmware but the hardware, they way it might be adjusted, it is failing to read cdrs and cdrws.

BTW i have tried multi session and full burnt audio cds as well.

Thanks take care
aj

Originally posted by aj2001
[B]Hey thanks for all the grat tips.

Lens???
It reads dvds, and normal cds that you buy from the the shops (pressed).:confused:

CDRW
It doesnt even read the CDRWs now I tried the lite-ON princo and data trax

Probably doesnt like copy stuff, i guess

I got it last august so I dont think the RMA etc will work.
the drive is in tip top condition.

Firmware
At the moment I have (163) GH5E

I will put in the Dell firmware and see what happens, I hope it starts working and then I can celebrate.

thanks
aj [/B]

I also happen to have a Liteon 163D which I bought more than 2 years ago and it reads cdr and cdrw’s without problems. If you really have a Liteon 163D why do you currently have a GH5E F/W? The GH5E is for the model 163, the current F/W for the 163D is GHRA. If you really have a 163 and not a 163D than try upgrading to GH5Y, which is the lastest firmware for the 163. You can dl either of these from digi’s website. Do a google search for Digi’s liteon firmware. I’d suggest you upgrade your F/W and don’t use the Dell’s OEM if you have the retail Liteon. If you’re still having the same problem than report back. There’s no need to call Liteon 163D as crap or that it stinks.

I’ve had some read problems with my Liteon 163 and 163D because I don’t vacuum my room often enough to keep the dust down, therefore my lens gets dirty from dust build up. I use a can of compressed air to blow out the dust and she’s like new again.

Its a Lite-ON 163D… It came with firmware GHR3… bought about a year ago.

When I found that people are using other firmwares than, I thoght maybe that might sort the problem out. (But They Didnt)

I have had GHRA before that I had GHR8. (didnt help)

It reads anything pressed, perfectly (allmost) It reads Dvds, and audio cds, Data cd,s etc.

CDR (any kind) CDRW (any kind) It wont read them. tried all the firmware.

I think its just my bad luck, and I should have tried CDR’s and CDRWs the first time when i bought it.

For me …I might have to buy anthore drive so I can test my burnt cds.

AJ :frowning: