List of Win-Mac Programs that need Linux counterparts

vbimport

What Windows or Mac program do you use that doesn’t have a Linux counterpart?

Or, if you’re a Linux user, what programs don’t you like on Linux but prefer the Windows (or Mac) version?

I want to see if we can create a list of programs that Linux could improve and/or offer anew for that “some day in the future” without Windows.

(And I don’t consider “loading Wine to run a Windows program” to be useful. If I have to load Wine, then for what Win program? THAT is what need to be adjusted - not Wine or its abilities.)

DVD SHRINK.

I want a completely re-written and updated product. I want every checkbox service, I want every frame-chopping/chapter-chopping service, too. The ability to update copy-protects might be compartmentalized for other programs (AnyDVD, DVDFab, etc.). Turning it into a BluRay SHRINK might be a great option, too.

Fundamentally, DVD SHRINK still offers a range of services that are most useful.

LIBRE - OPEN OFFICE Spreadsheet

The Calc Application (Spreadsheet) needs to offer me a superior “right-click in Cell” pop-up menu.

I want to either customize the one that’s presented, or I want the programmers to hard-code a few more options (like creating a Hyperlink) via that pop-up instead of forcing me to go to the upper toolbar each time. It’s a speed-of-data-entry issue.

LIBRE-OPEN offers so many great Main Menu & Toolbar Customizations, but I haven’t discovered the various pop-up menu names to customize those. I think that would be the cool thing.

Media Monkey-I haven’t found a good music player yet on Linux that has the capabilities of MM baked in to it. Supposedly you can use Media Monkey in WINE, but that sounds like a whole nother can o’ worms and some people report problems doing that. I know the guys who wrote MM are supposedly going to develop a Linux version, but it sounds like that is a backburner/low priority target.

ImgBrn equivalent.

I’ve got a few programs for you:

For starters, I hope to see more options for the gui version of MediaInfo for GNU/Linux, as I find it to be surprisingly inferior to the same program for Windows, lacking many of the menus and options Windows users can enjoy (especially the option to use something other than the “easy” view by default).

Also, like Yojimbo197, I have yet to find a GNU/Linux disc burning program that measures up to ImgBurn. Brasero performs quite nicely, but lacks a number of features. Perhaps if ImgBurn were to become free or open sourced, a GNU/Linux fork would manifest itself.

I wish Adobe would continue making Flash Player for GNU/Linux systems as well. Likewise for Microsoft Silverlight. Oh, if only these programs were free!

Of course, all these programs can run on Wine, but that’s not the point.

So, some MEDIAINFO improvements or a superior product…

and

ImgBURN for Linux…

(I haven’t checked out Linux Disk Burners. I like having a preset video-DVD folder structure like Nero creates, and I want an easy-to-locate Volume-ID field for naming disks.)

I’d expect some critical uses of Decrypters, that’s why I mentioned DVD SHRINK to kickstart that genre.

I have yet to find any apps capable of adding ReplayGain data to music files, there seems to be no shortage of apps that can read this data.

On the subject of DVD decryptors, I wish I’d though of that. I’ve found a few old abandonware apps, but nothing capable of handling modern protections.

Also, some decryptors for digitaly downloaded files (Amazon, iTunes, etc.) could come in quit handy.

To name a few:
Daemon Tools Pro Advanced
Alcohol 120 %
AnyDVD HD
Isobuster
EAC
DB PowerAmp
SandBoxie
PrivaZer
And since there’s a Linux version of Steam now:
Software and driver support from companies which sell gaming gear would be nice…my Logitech G9X mouse,Corsair Vengeance K 90 keyboard offer oinly basic functionality…seems that there’s only full support for my MS Xbox 360 controller for windows.

I’m not sure how to address the various SAMBA issues. SAMBA is a frequent ‘server software’ used to share NTFS file-systems with Linux file-systems so Windows and Linux boxes can share disks, folders, etc.

The SAMBA set up requires a fair amount of Linux command-structure knowledge and patience, and I’m uncertain if a superior installer-routine couldn’t address all of those issues in a Yes/No or List-Box series of screens, much like Windows Installers typically use.

But I know the Samba installation routine and it’s MOUNT process (locate share-able disks/file systems, then grant permissions) needs to be easier so more users WILL consider co-existence between Win and Linux boxes.

That has to occur before a serious migration effort is successful.