List of LITEON SafeDisc v-2.9/3.x killer burners

Your results confirm what I was saying in my other thread about odd behaviour of CloneCD with SD 2.9 +

CloneCD needs (and obviously uses) some form of emulation with copies of SD made by certain drives

Discjuggler seems to be the most reliable option for some of us.

I wonder how DiscJuggler will go with SD 3.15 ?

I added both subs to the CCD read and got a promising result: the game didn’t bang into “Insert correct CD” straight away, the verifcation took about 10-15 seconds before giving the error. I’m gonna play with settings

I should’ve got prince of persia instead but the game looked really dicky and I’ve got too many dicky games :Z

Futureproof, sounds like you really like the Asus over the Liteon. My concern with the Asus is…

1. not as much ‘protection’ support as the Liteon (newer FWs dont improve ‘protection’ scheme backups for the Asus.

2. write quality has been said to be much better on the Liteon.

3. Reading is better on the Asus, but this doesnt make a difference if you have a cool Liteon DVD reader to read for you!

I am disappointed at the read speeds of the 163D and the QS09 LITEON LTR-52327S with SD3.x. Coupled with the inabilty for this burner to kill SD3 in CloneCD, I’ll have to send of some testing results to SlySoft and info Olli.

The ASUS 1.0 52x still goes like a cut cat.

FP

I have successfully backed up Call of Duty on these Liteon Drives:

48161H KH0N
52327S QS0C
LDW-411S FS0F

with BW 4.5.7 and DJ 4.10.1128 - require NO emulation, and copies work in XJ HD 165H and 166S and Sony DDU1621 (BTC) DVD-Roms.

Of course, CloneCD copies work with Hide CDR 8-}

52327S read speed with DJ 11:57

Asus 5224A read speed with DJ 3:54 (Superb Drive)

They tell me the next great thing will be / is LG GCE8525B burner.
Have you seen/tried one yet?

>They tell me the next great thing will be / is LG GCE8525B
>burner.
>Have you seen/tried one yet?

No, but I’m tempted!

I picked up a LiteOn 52327s yesterday. With it I was able to make of backup of COD, and a few SD2.9 games, using CCD4.3.1.9 set with ‘ignore’. The copies run on all my CDRW’s. I don’t have a CD-ROM, just CDRW’s(4 of them). Of course, I had to use the Hide-CDR option.
But with ‘ignore’ set I didn’t see CCD do any emulation during the write. BW4.5.7.92 with ‘Enhance Weak Sectors’ Unchecked was also able to make working copies. None of my other CDRWs could do it. Only with emulation turned on for the write would the other CDRW’s make a working copy.
I tried DJ with the 52327 and got tired of waiting for the program to read the COD disk. The read time with CCD was pretty quick, and just a little slower with BW. I gave up on DJ, just too slow.
The FW of the 52327 was QS09. It worked with that version and after I flashed to QS0C.
I’m using WinXP Pro SP2 on a A7NX2D Bios 1007, nforce2 3.13, XP3200+.
Seems this drive works great on some systems on not on others.
:smiley:

jim

Of course your copy with the Liteon is going to work, because you’ve only got writers, and you have to use Hide CDR (or equivalent). I’m sure that Hide CDR does more than just stop ATIP reading.

My copies with the Liteon also work with Hide CDR, but not without it.

I’m leaning more and more to my ASUS 52x drive, and possibly in the near future to a nice LG 52x32x52 drive (when they land here in Australia).

FP, I wouldn’t waste time with Prince of Persia, I used to play it many years ago when it was made by Broderbund!!

>I picked up a LiteOn 52327s yesterday. With it I was able to
>make of backup of COD,

this is what I don’t understand. I’m a bit of a legend in my own lunchtime and even I couldn’t get an [Ignore] copy of CofD with 4319. I will try 4202 I suppose.

Originally posted by Jackass
Of course your copy with the Liteon is going to work, because you’ve only got writers, and you have to use Hide CDR (or equivalent). I’m sure that Hide CDR does more than just stop ATIP reading.

It certainly does. :o

@ jimsburnerbin

If you want to check whether your Lite-on made copies really are good, test them on your writers using alcohol’s Ignore media type rather than ccd’s hide cdr media. (Ignore media type in alcohol only hides the atip and has no other function. :wink: )

I’ll try the Alcohol Atip hider with the CCD copies to see if they still work. I am using ‘ignore’ and I don’t see the messages that that indicate any emulating or amplifying is occuring.
I’ll post the results with Alcohol a little later.
Jim

Originally posted by jimsburnerbin
I’ll try the Alcohol Atip hider with the CCD copies to see if they still work. I am using ‘ignore’ and I don’t see the messages that that indicate any emulating or amplifying is occuring.
I’ll post the results with Alcohol a little later.
Jim

I can’t speak for the others, but from what I’ve seen, CCD is doing something a little sneaky (or might be buggy) when copies are run (even when copy is made with ignore weak sectors). This seems to be at least Liteon 52327S specific. (It does it with my ASUS 5224A also, but not with others’ ASUS drives)

Make sure to disable Hide CDR before closing down the CloneCD tray, before you do the test. If you don’t do this, hide CDR remains active even though the tray is seemingly disabled.

Well, here is what I have found.

First off, I installed a DVD/CD-ROM drive in place of one of the other CDRW drives. Its called a StarLog.

I installed Alcohol’s latest trial. Ver 1.4.7 build 1005. I noticed the Bypass EFM error function was disabled. I found on the Alcohol site that it is disabled for US and Japan. I made a copy of COD with the SafeDisk option and burned it to a CDRW disc.

I turned off CCD’s Hide-CDR option, turned off BW’s autoplay, and turned off Ignore Media Type in Alcohol.
I rebooted, rechecked the ‘turned off status’ of all the ATIP hiders and tried to boot the CCD, BW, and Alchohol copies from the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

With NO ATIP hiders active I could boot the Alcohol copy from the DVD/CD-ROM with the same spinup time as the original. The game played great.(COD is a GREAT game).

The CCD4.3.19 copy(with ignore weak sectors)would only boot with the CCD Hide CDR option active on the DVD/CD-ROM drive. It would not boot with either the Alcohol Ignore Media Type Active or with BW’s AutoPlay active. Only the CCD Hide-CDR option allowed it to boot.

The BW4.5.7.92 copy(amplify weak sectors NOT checked) was the same story. It would boot from the DVD/CD-ROM with AutoPlay active but not with either Alcohol’s Ignore Media Type or CCD’s Hide-CDR option active.

So it would seem that Alcohol is making a Better copy, OR copies made from recent CCD and BW versions require their software to be loaded before the copies will run on any device. More testing is needed.

My wife has a CD-ROM(an old LG)on her machine and no copy software at all. She’s going to work soon and I’m going to try these disks on her machine. She doesn’t like me on her machine, normally, but now my curiousity is up and I have to find out.

As I expected on my wifes machine, with no copy software and an old LG CD-ROM drive, only the copy made with Alcohol would run. I was able to install and run it from the Alcohol copy disks.
The BW copy ran only with the standalone ATIP hider installed and active. The CCD copy didn’t boot either and I didn’t bother to install CCD on her machine.
So either BW and CCD are doing some emulation tricks even when told not to or they will only let their copies boot with their software running. Either way, the Alcohol copy works as a standalone and the other two do not.

Originally posted by jimsburnerbin
As I expected on my wifes machine, with no copy software and an old LG CD-ROM drive, only the copy made with Alcohol would run. I was able to install and run it from the Alcohol copy disks.
The BW copy ran only with the standalone ATIP hider installed and active. The CCD copy didn’t boot either and I didn’t bother to install CCD on her machine.
So either BW and CCD are doing some emulation tricks even when told not to or they will only let their copies boot with their software running. Either way, the Alcohol copy works as a standalone and the other two do not.

My exact experience

Originally posted by FutureProof
My exact experience

Me too, except that the BW 4.5.7.92 copies made with 52327S and 5224A (fw 1.1) also work well from DVD-Rom (no amplify or emulation)

My gut feeling from watching the copy protection at work, is that the DJ copy is closest to the original in it’s behaviour.

Update:
BW 4.5.7.92 WILL NOT make a working copy of Prince of Persia - Safedisc 3.15 but DiscJuggler WILL.

BW 4.5.7.92 WILL NOT make a working copy of Prince of Persia - Safedisc 3.15 but DiscJuggler WILL.

With the Litey, the Asus or both?

>> With the Litey, the Asus or both?

Both.

Litey 52327S, 411S, 48161H and 811S all work. 48125W Doesn’t work.

ASUS 5224x (fw 1.1 is all I’ve tested) seems “just that little bit better copy”.

[BASUS 5224x (fw 1.1 is all I’ve tested) seems “just that little bit better copy”. [/B]

Well, I haven’t had any difficulty doing sd 2.9 using dj with fw 1.37 so I suspect that sd 3.15 won’t cause any real difficulty either. (Incidentally, my previous Asus couldn’t do sd 2.9 with ccd without hide even with fw 1.0 so you’re not alone.)

Come to think of it, I haven’t tried my ASUS with a later f/w and DiscJuggler.

I know that any f/w later than 1.1 stuffs up BW 4.5.7.92 (won’t read the pregap sectors at all).

What media do you ASUS experts recommend? :stuck_out_tongue: