Linux version ahead?

vbimport

Hi guys.
It would be nice, since there’s already a MAC port, to see this tiny jewel portet to (x86) Linux as well.

Well to be honest, the changes of that happing are about zero to none.
Sorry to burst your bubble this rude, but the linux world is way to small and to different for us to enter it.
(it’s not a 100% standard platform when it becomes to desktop enviroments)

To prevent the obligatory, you have a OS-x version so a linux version is dead easy remark. IT’S NOT… The mac OS version required a lot of handwork to make it work.

Sorry…

Never mind, thank´s for the (final) info. There may be a few more Linux users like me asking the same question. Now it´s a lot easier for us to find out about that topic.

I would personally love to see a linux version. We can do most everything else using native programs (ripping the dvd and burning to dvd-r), we just need something to strip out the regioncode and macrovision, and something to shrink the files to fit on dvd-r.

I’m no developer, but OS-X is based on BSD which is related to Linux…I wouldn’t think it would be too hard to get the core of the program to work. And if you used QT for the gui that should be no problem either (I’m guessing you didn’t though).

BTW I have tried it out and it will run under win4lin, so if you have that it’s worth a try.

as someone who regulary writes software for linux and windows i dont get this at all. the only way it would be difficult to port software to linux is if you’re using something like directX or some libraries that you didn’t write yourself in windows. if you’re directly manipulating theVOB files and used a decent programming language like c or c++ then it wouldn’t be impossible to do. if you used something stupid like a windows visual based tool…then that’s bad.
visual tools should only be used for theGUI

All the more confusing as IIRC DVD2One started out as a commandline app. Erwin once said:

“DVD2one, unlike InstantCopy, does NOT rely on the Windows API for any processing. The Windows API is only used for memory management, file IO and user interface.”

Again, why not make a POSIX compliant commandline app? Leave the frontends that call DVD2One with the correct parameters to others.

You could explain it like that, but that’s not what erwin meant to say.
What he really meant to say is that the we DO NOT use standard windows functions like directshow etc in DVD2one.

Instantcopy uses directshow to decode the vob’s, and DVD2one does everything by itself completely independend of the OS.

But building the MAC version was just a bit more work then you expect. It’s not a question of recompiling and DONE…

(but then again, as we say in the Netherlands, the best captains are always on the shore.)

Originally posted by ReneB
Instantcopy uses directshow to decode the vob’s, and DVD2one does everything by itself completely independend of the OS.

…my emphasis…

But building the MAC version was just a bit more work then you expect. It’s not a question of recompiling and DONE…

Maybe it’s a lot of GUI/logic problems. All those things don’t exist for a commandline app.

Your such an good example for the best captain on the shore :wink:

I had NOTHING to do with the gui part…

How about FILE-IO, Memory managment,Threading etc? All those things need to be there to for a commandline version too.
(and are very very different on almost every OS)

It’s just much more work then it will ever be worth it to maintain several OS versions.

Harrr, Harrr :slight_smile:

I thought, that’s exactly what POSIX - Portable Operating System Interface for UNIX - was for…

Anyway, if “posixifying” is a major problem, I’d say skip that for now and concentrate on further improving DVD2One.

Yes, I agree they’re different on every platform. I was just stating that OSX and Linux probably probably have more in common than Windows and OSX.

Though I do agree that a linux version shouldn’t come out at the expense of the others. But once dvd2one starts leveling off, perhaps you could look into it, or let someone you know that’s good at linux have a look.

i dare to say we are pretty good at low level stuff no mather what to OS is.
(We have a pretty large background in programming lowlevel stuff on various machines from 6502 via 68xxx to 80x86 and several obscure procs inbetween)

But it’s not only a technical issue, it’s also a commercial descision.
at this moment we indeed rather invest more time in the current project then in a new platform which in our opinion has a too small userbase to make it intressting…

HOLD ON!! i’am not saying that the other OS’es aren’t good enough, i use linux everyday on my workstation and servers. But commercially it’s not that appealing to us. So yes it’s a commercial descision not to support other os’es then OS-x and Win32.

That’s really sad.
You see the problem of linux is that there are not enough commercial products from windows or Mac world ported to Linux. So Linux cannot be an alternate OS for many people.

Of course I can understand your decisions and why they are made.

But I also see that this is the main reason why Linux doesn’t replace every Windows station in the world.

But: since I don’t wanna buy a Mac or a Windows Copy I can’t use your program - so I cannot pay for it…

Of course people like me are very seldom and you won’t be hurt by that… And you know that too. But still it would be just a nice move to allow Linux people to use this program - even if they won’t get you as much money in as the Mac users or the Win users…

I can understand that you may be somewhat exhausted by the Mac Version… But a Linux version needs to come someday… I hope its not too far in the future :confused:

Please think about it…
cya
hachre

I’am linux user myself to (tadaaaa big suprise eh!) but my experience with the linux community is that they are not the people who actually buy software.

This community is almost 100% based on opensource software, and therefor we estimated that the sales of DVD2one would be very low compared to the other two versions.

Yeah, the old linux community doesn’t buy stuff … They also don’t want commercial software on linux… But the community growing by people who switched from mac or windows to linux is different…

And very small at this moment, i suspect less then 1 percent of the current window users are willing to switch to linux.

And of that 1%, a possible 0.2 to 0.5% is a dvd2one customer.

That’s of course true. As I said before… You won’t get big money through a linux version. But you would get the appreciation of the linux community - especially of those people who want it…

I think more people would be willing to buy it than you imagine. We’re willing to buy programs like win4lin and crossover office so we can still run windows programs (dvd2one seems to work ok in win4lin, but I heard of problems in crossover). Also there is alot of commercial software such as staroffice that people are willing to buy if the price is right. And there wouldn’t be any competition for that market (at least not yet).

Hello!

I yust want so say that I would like to habe a linux versian an I would buy it!!!
I never spend ANY mony in ANY Windows-Apps and I can’t run MacOSX-Versions, so I would be really glad about it! (call my fanatic, but thats my attitude to which I no one else force!)

And I think it wouldn’t be complicated to integrate the command line tools for burning (cdrecord / growisofs ) and ripping in this version … :slight_smile:
Or to build only a commandline tool and let somene else make a GUI!
A commandline tools would even be better, so I could create the DVDs on my Server :-))

If you are a DVD2one Developer: Thank you for taking time to read my opinion!

Mfg

Originally posted by hachre
Yeah, the old linux community doesn’t buy stuff … They also don’t want commercial software on linux… But the community growing by people who switched from mac or windows to linux is different…

I’m using Linux for some years, not switched from Windows/Mac a moment ago and i WOULD BUY Linux version of the program.
I did it with WineX for example, to play some games and don’t have to switch to Windows and I would be glad to do the same with such a program.
I think there are a lot of people who would buy some software just for not having to switch to Windows to do something :slight_smile:

(Even if pirated WindowsXP can be bought for about 5$ with no problem at all, and most DVD-burners comes with software, I still would buy Linux software)

T.