Linux v.s. windows xp - please advise

vbimport

Hello, I’m having all sorts of problems using Linux software to video encode (convert avi files to dvd).

I’m frustrated to the point I may just throw up my hands and go back to XP (although, I hate to concede defeat and go back to Windows!). But, if I do, which XP software should I use? I don’t know where to start or what is decent software nowadays.

Other than VLC, what should I use to burn / copy / video edit / encode/ etc. etc.???

I prefer free/freeware (doesn’t everyone?) but I’d buy some software if it’s rated really high and does a good job and isn’t overly complicated like some linux software programs are. But, I wouldn’t want to invest much.

Could you recommend some programs? Also, my DVD burner is causing me grief. I couldn’t do anything with DVD+RW discs I bought in Linux. I wanted to burn an iso to DVD but k3b wouldn’t even detect the disc. Also, the burner drive was going nuts. It really doesn’t like this format or discs? They are Verbatim DVD+RW 4x discs, pack of 5.

The burner is a Samsung TSST SH203B or something like that.

Also, which media should I use? Not brand really but type. I wanted to use DVD Rewritables for testing. I found that DVD+RW Verbatim 4x were awful and not readable in my Samsung burner.

Can I use DVD-RW at least?

Many software can run under Linux using WINE.

For example, ImgBurn for burning discs. Before to give up with Verbatim, try to do a full erase with ImgBurn. For some reason I never understood (maybe the software is the best ;)) this often is able to recover a problematic RW disc. However, there is nothing preventing you to use -RW discs :slight_smile:

For testing only a rewritable media is good, but for the definitive files, I suggest to use write once media, because are more stable and give better results after the burn. Don’t trust too much in cheap media: they become unreadable after a short time :frowning: So, I suggest to buy only quality discs :slight_smile:

Regarding software, there is an excellent (even if not exactly easy to use) free tool named AviDemux. It is also available natively in Linux, so you don’t need to use WINE with that software that should be already located in repositories of most main Linux distro.

Which linux distro are you using? And could you provide some specs of your pc: cpu, ram, graphics card, hard drive, etc.?

[QUOTE=geno888;2173038]Many software can run under Linux using WINE.

For example, ImgBurn for burning discs. Before to give up with Verbatim, try to do a full erase with ImgBurn. For some reason I never understood (maybe the software is the best ;)) this often is able to recover a problematic RW disc. However, there is nothing preventing you to use -RW discs :slight_smile:

For testing only a rewritable media is good, but for the definitive files, I suggest to use write once media, because are more stable and give better results after the burn. Don’t trust too much in cheap media: they become unreadable after a short time :frowning: So, I suggest to buy only quality discs :slight_smile:

Regarding software, there is an excellent (even if not exactly easy to use) free tool named AviDemux. It is also available natively in Linux, so you don’t need to use WINE with that software that should be already located in repositories of most main Linux distro.[/QUOTE]
I installed devede and avidemux in Fedora 9. I also have devede in Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu (KDE desktop), Fedora and Debian (Testing/Lenny). I have issues with each one but most recently, I was having problems with my burner regarding the DVD+RW discs I bought. Lucky I only bought a 5 pk. I have Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs but I wasted one since the devede process in Linux produced a coaster. Whatever I did wrong, it resulted in one menu (big arrow) with no video and no audio. That’s why I decided to try my DVD+RW discs.

Are Samsung burners crappy or is it just the DVD+RW discs the Samsung burner can’t utilize? Linux would read the discs at first but do nothing with it. Then, it wouldn’t read them at all. Even when I rebooted, my system would hang while trying to boot up the distro. It was like the disc was detected and the system was crashing on it. There were a bunch of messages which I don’t remember.

Anyway, I think this burner got good reviews but I don’t know why. I wonder if I should replace it. I don’t think it should crap out just because of a DVD+RW.

For what I know, the operative system has nothing to do with the burn results, because it is the firmware to write actually on the disc, and the burning software is only a graphical interface between the firmware and the user.

Regarding the bad results in the authored movies, I think that it is the software to be blamed, because is buggy or because it was misconfigured.

If you have problems with RW media, then you can do tests with low quality discs. Even if these discs are not reliable for important data, you can use some cheap discs to run tests, and then burn on a quality disc once you get the desired result :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Whappo;2173084]Which linux distro are you using? And could you provide some specs of your pc: cpu, ram, graphics card, hard drive, etc.?[/QUOTE]
I have on a multi-boot, Fedora 9, Kubuntu 8.04 and Debian Testing. I was going to install Fedora 10 and Ubuntu 8.10 (and install KDE). But, I am not very familiar with Fedora and often have mounting problems and it’s really confusing trying to organize partitions.

Avidemux (in Linux)was extra confusing compared to the Windows version.

I found my Nero OEM disc that went with my Samsung burner. So, should I continue with the Samsung burner?

What programs in Linux to use?:
devede, avidemux, k3b (and brasero???), Kaffeine, MPlayer, Totem?

In Windows?
Nero OEM, VLC, what else?

There were programs like AnyDVD and others that had a good rep before. Are any of these recommended programs?

I want video playing software, movie editing software, video encoder/decoder software etc In Linux, I have a good idea of what to use (not much choice) but in Windows, I’m not sure.

[QUOTE=geno888;2173179]For what I know, the operative system has nothing to do with the burn results, because it is the firmware to write actually on the disc, and the burning software is only a graphical interface between the firmware and the user.

Regarding the bad results in the authored movies, I think that it is the software to be blamed, because is buggy or because it was misconfigured.

If you have problems with RW media, then you can do tests with low quality discs. Even if these discs are not reliable for important data, you can use some cheap discs to run tests, and then burn on a quality disc once you get the desired result :)[/QUOTE]
I agree. That’s a good idea. I’ll just get some DVD-R media from some big box store or something. The cheapest one available (at the moment).

I guess I had the software options configured wrong somehow but I followed ‘tutorials’ or instructions from a related website. At least for devede, I did. But, it still came out wrong. I guess some option is still wrong or something caused the disc to not encode properly.

O.K. Well, I don’t do a lot of video conversion (as a matter of fact I don’t convert anything) so I’ve not much to offer in the way of advice for linux solutions. For just ripping, compressing, and burning Dvd’s I use Dvddecrypter, dvdshrink, dvdfab decrypter, and imgburn, running under Wine. All of these programs are windows programs. Don’t misunderstand, there are a lot of tech savvy people here at Cdfreaks who are willing to help, but some of these questions would probably be better answered on the Ubuntu or Fedora forums. If you are going to experiment with several linux distro’s why not just use something like VirtualBox? I’ve had as many as ten different flavors of linux on my pc at once. You don’t have to worry about partitions or multi-booting, it’s like try before you buy. As for windows programs that can do what you want, there are too many to name, but take a look at Super http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html, Virtualdub http://www.virtualdub.org/. I’m sure someone else will post with other suggestions. Good luck Cdetep,

I see you like KDE, well I did a little research and found this for you to try.

http://fosswire.com/2007/11/27/ffmpegmenu-transcode-videos-from-your-file-manager/