Linux questions

Hey everyone. Recently I’ve been trying to switch to linux, or atleast try it out. I’ve posted a couple of posts about it but didn’t really find anything out. Anyways, I’m just going to get a distribution and start out from there. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m probably guessing Red Hat or Mandrake as I hear they are the most popular and user friendly. Second thing, I don’t really want to shell out 30 bucks for a boxed set which I may not even like or use or whatever. I also have a dial-up modem so its out of the question to download it. So does anyone know of a good place to get a cheaper version of it? Like $15 or less? Third thing, I know that linux and windows are different and I’ve been trying to find help on how to use it but I really can’t find anything good. Anyone have any good links? Fourth thing, how good do the windows emulators work? Do they work on most windows programs or like 10% or something? Lastly, (yes, I’m finally getting to the end,) how good will it work on my machine? Will it run fast and stable? Here are my specs:

Specs:
166 Mhz Pentium @200 Mhz
56 MB RAM
1 MB Video Card
3.2 gig Seagate 5400 RPM HDD
40 gig Western Digital 7200 RPM HDD
HP CD-Writer Plus 8200i @9100
Brand X 56K modem

Thx to anyone that can answer any of my questions. (I know there are alot there.)

mz71687

Well , go to some computer fair or plunder someone’s garage.

You could also ask some friends or schools if they can supply you with a freshly burned version of Mandrake 8.2 or something. Shouldn’t cost you much.

Probably the best link is just www.linux.org

There’s Wine and there are some other emulators , but they usually suck and need quite the amount of standard and fast hardware to show any real performance. I doubt it’s every gonna work on your system.

Considering your system i’d go for an OLD Mandrake or Red Hat version (the new ones like P3’s with good quality vga cards very very much). Check www.linuxiso.org for more distros.

There is a Dutch website that offers Linux on CD from about 5 euro’s and up.

I just don’t know if they send the cds all over the world. but you could ask maarten@kooplinux.nl

the URL of the site is www.kooplinux.nl

If downloading is not an option, here in the U.S. you can get CD’s of different distributions of linux for about $5-$6 US. Go to “www.cheapbytes.com” and order the distribution you want. I like Mandrake and dual boot it with Win2K.

Thx for the info. Also, does anyone have any experience with Slackware? It seems pretty good on the website (www.slackware.com) although I know it could just be a bunch of crap. You guys seem to recommend Mandrake 8.2, so do you know how it would do on my system? Thx again.

Mandrake for beginners, Slackware for more advanced users.

www.distrowatch.com