Linux programs (esp. for 411S)?

Which easy to use software is awailable for Linux for making data DVD’s? And is there anything like Kprobe for Linux? I use Linux, have a 411S and don’t know how to get started.

I have my 411S installed as the secondary master disk in my Debian testing workstation. I’ve since got the drive to work flawlessly, burning mediocre media (RiTEK Generation 03 DVD-R, FujiFilm).

First, you need to tell the kernel to treat the IDE burner as a SCSI device. Edit lilo.conf and add:

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

Then, re-run lilo as root and reboot.

Create a symlink from the SCSI cdrom device to /dev/dvd:

ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd

Finally, install dvd+rw-tools:
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
Note, you don’t have to install a kernel patch.

Compile and install dvd+rw-tools, then you can burn away! To burn an XBOX ISO image, I perform the following:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=xbox.iso

Read the growisofs man pages. It’s a great resources. Also, make sure you upgrade to FS0F firmware. I had to place my drive in a windows machine to upgrade the firmware.

Originally posted by silas_osu
[B]

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=xbox.iso

[/B]

Thanks a lot silas_osu! growisofs is a nifty program. I upgraded to FS0F too. I tried it burning with mkisofs and growisofs a bunch of times now but still had a few problems:

• When I make the iso image with mkisofs and then burn them with growisofs then mkisofs takes a long time, much longer than the actual burning process, even though it’s only reading/writing from/to HD. Can this be corrected? The iso images I made only contained very few large files, and the HD had enough space.

• For 1 out of 3 DVD+RW’s I burned, the burning finished without any error message but the files were not readable (with the 411s) or, even worse, were readable without error and just not the same as the ones written to DVD. What am I doing wrong? Media is Philips 4xDVD+RW. OS is Redhat 7.3 with current cdrecord and dvd+rw-tools. Drive is set to secondary slave.