Linux Phone?

vbimport

Just noticed that Sony has started to migrate away from Android on their Smart TV’s and have introduced a couple of models with Linux as the OS.
Any phone manufacturer done the same yet?

On a slightly different note, looking for a replacement for my Sony Xperia E1. It’s getting long in the tooth and a bit flakey. Thing is that I want a SMALL phone. Looked at what’s available lately and these things are so big you have to carry them around like an 80’s Gehhto Blaster. Desired dimensions would be 125mm x 65mm max. Any ideas other than that MaxWest junk at Best Buy?

[QUOTE=olddancer;2782331]Just noticed that Sony has started to migrate away from Android on their Smart TV’s and have introduced a couple of models with Linux as the OS.
Any phone manufacturer done the same yet?

On a slightly different note, looking for a replacement for my Sony Xperia E1. It’s getting long in the tooth and a bit flakey. Thing is that I want a SMALL phone. Looked at what’s available lately and these things are so big you have to carry them around like an 80’s Gehhto Blaster. Desired dimensions would be 125mm x 65mm max. Any ideas other than that MaxWest junk at Best Buy?[/QUOTE]
Just like Windows Phone? Ring a bell…Sony has lost their staying power so they are trying to grab whatever attention they can get and Linux isn’t one that will garner it more market shares. When a company like Sony moves from Android apps to linux they will shortly announce their own app for the smart TV that how it goes they are trying to smoke screen but their falling value is that falling.

Nah, phone manufacturers are pretty much still sticking with Android. If a Linux-based device exists, it’s usually relegated to a low-volume fringe status, rather than being promoted + widely available.

Linux being used on other entertainment devices (TVs, game consoles, etc) is more normalized, but hasn’t been able to trickle down to phones. Applications make or break a phone OS’s adoption; see the failure of Windows Phone (and Windows RT) to gain traction. On other devices, though, all you really need is a few smart apps & you’re good.

As for phone size, even 4.5" (for the screen) is the typical minimum for budget phones from well-known manufacturers. I don’t think you’ll see 4.0" (screen) as an option for too many brands without going for older devices, which defeats the purpose of upgrading.

Depending on your service provider, you should be able to see what they offer & decide if anything is worthwhile. If nothing, maybe you can find a device compatible with your network…but that requires a little more work.