Linux on Android?

vbimport

Was just given an Android tablet and find it pretty much useless.
Was going to use it as a carry along browser for our store but found that android will not allow printing of a web page unless it’s saved first.
Long story short want to ditch Android and put some distro of Linux on the tablet that actually supports printing to a network printer direct.

Any thoughts?

The recent versions of Android support direct wireless printing which I think appeared in Android Lollipop.

I’ve never tried it myself as I don’t have a wireless printer but that might do what you’re after.

Alternatively you could try the Google Cloud Print app or there are other apps that enable printing directly to a networked printer.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2763558]The recent versions of Android support direct wireless printing which I think appeared in Android Lollipop.

I’ve never tried it myself as I don’t have a wireless printer but that might do what you’re after.

Alternatively you could try the Google Cloud Print app or there are other apps that enable printing directly to a networked printer.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Whole point is to use this like a “real computer”.
Installed “Printer Share” which gets around the Cloud crap, but will only print saved documents. A browser that has something as simple as a “Print” function would be the ideal answer, but developers for Android obviously don’t believe there is actually ever a need to print from a device.

Thus I would like to ditch this Android garbage altogether and go to the source. Both Android and IOS are derived (stolen) from Unix/Linux. Cut out the middle garbage and install a working version of Linux that supports “Programs” not Apps.

It is possible.
This might help

Or here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch

[QUOTE=Dee;2763570]It is possible.
This might help

Or here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dee, this was a very interesting read. Never thought of the possibility. :clap:

Thanks Dee, I’d just found that Linux Magazine one myself and it seems to be pretty good at laying out the options. :cool:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Had you any joy with this olddancer?

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=olddancer;2763569]Whole point is to use this like a “real computer”.

Thus I would like to ditch this Android garbage altogether and go to the source. Both Android and IOS are derived (stolen) from Unix/Linux. Cut out the middle garbage and install a working version of Linux that supports “Programs” not Apps.[/QUOTE]

I’ll second Wombler above… I am genuinely interested in knowing about your experience too if you got around to do it. :iagree: