Linux cable modem load balancing question

I have a computer with Mandrake Linux 9.1 installed. What I would like to be able to do is have 3 ethernet cards in the computer, with 2 of those connected to cable modems, and one connected to a switch to run other computers from. I would like to know if there is a way to load balance between the cable modems. For example, both cable modems are 1.5mbps down and 256kbps up. I would like to be able to get 3mbps down and 512up. Does anyone know of a SOFTWARE way to do this. Doesn’t need to be linux, windows would be fine too.

WinXP supports this. I never tried but suspect its an option available after right clicking and choosing an option called Bridge Connections.

I thought that at first too, but it seems that is only able to bridge two dial-up connections or two broadband connections of different types.

Umm, I don’t understand, so where is the problem?

as I stated in the original message, I am trying to bridge two cable modems, cable modems being the same type of connection.

doesnt matter. unless you have that cable deal where all they give you is 2 cable modems so each pc gets the same line. If its 2 diff ip’s and two diff lines, bridging is not a problem…:slight_smile:

As far as my limited network knowledge goes, NIC bridging is bound not to work. When Windows bridges two NICs, it treats them as if they were only one concerning the IP address. That’s why you only get one IP after bridging…