Linux booktype problem

I recently replaced an old NEC burner that was starting to flake out with a new Lite-On iHAS422. This has been problematic, as I have no reliable way to set the booktype in Linux, which I need to do to get DVD+R/DL’s to work in my regular DVD player. I can run Lite-On’s booktype utility after booting into Windows, but the setting doesn’t stick for very long. After a few burns under Linux, the drive reverts to the default booktype settings. So I end up effectively coastering two discs - one that got burned with the wrong booktype, and another one that I have to burn in Windows to reset it. So…

1. Is there a utility that will run natively in Linux (like necflash did on my old NEC) to manage the booktype setting for the iHAS422? Please don’t recommend Windows utilities under WINE/VMware unless you know from personal experience that they actually work, as most will not correctly manage the firmware under emulation even if they otherwise appear to run.

2. If no such utility exists, can someone recommend a current drive that does have such a utility? I see that binflash/necflash will work with Optiarc drives, but the current drives at Newegg (like the Sony/Optiarc AD-7220S) are really rebadged Lite-Ons. Will binflash still work with these, at least as far as setting the booktype is concerned? I don’t really care about custom firmware and such, I just need to be able to reliably burn DVD+R/DL’s with a DVD-ROM booktype.

Thanks for any input/solutions you can provide.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

ImgBurn has a tool to change booktype in most burners available in the market. ImgBurn runs perfectly under WINE, so you can try this way to change the booktype in your drive :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2215345]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

ImgBurn has a tool to change booktype in most burners available in the market. ImgBurn runs perfectly under WINE, so you can try this way to change the booktype in your drive :)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the welcome and for the tip - ImgBurn works like a charm! I had tried at least half a dozen other Windows utilities, but hadn’t bumped into that one. Hopefully the booktype setting will be permanent, as advertised, unlike the Lite-On utility. I still don’t get why the settings reverted before - they held across reboots, but eventually just flipped back for some reason. At least if they do still revert, I can change the setting back without booting Windows.

Also, I was going to burn the ISO using ImgBurn and noticed that it complained about the layer split (or lack thereof) in ISO’s I had created using genisoimage (after modifying the DVD structure with pgcedit). But I’ve burned plenty of DL ISO’s from genisoimage before - presumably there’s some kind of logic built into it to handle the layer split? I Googled a bit, but couldn’t find any details about how genisoimage deals with this. It looks like pgcedit’s ISO creation function allows a lot tighter control over setting the split - is this something worth investigating further, or should I just be content with genisoimage provided the discs work in my player?

[QUOTE=tppytel;2215472]I still don’t get why the settings reverted before - they held across reboots, but eventually just flipped back for some reason. At least if they do still revert, I can change the setting back without booting Windows.[/QUOTE]
Could it be that your burning application explicitely sends a command to set the booktype back to normal?

ImgBurn tries always to calculate the best position for the LB when you burn a DL disc. This calculation is done automatically every time you try to burn a DL disc in “Build” mode.

I don’t know if the calculation is done also when you try to burn an ISO file :o

[QUOTE=Liggy;2215622]Could it be that your burning application explicitely sends a command to set the booktype back to normal?[/QUOTE]
That doesn’t seem likely - I could usually do 3-4 burns under Linux before the settings reverted, and I always used the same burning command (growisofs -speed 4 -Z /dev/dvd=dvd.iso). I would think that if growisofs were responsible that the settings would be cancelled immediately. It was all using the same spool of media as well. But perhaps some other application using the drive was responsible, like maybe ripping audio CD’s through Sound Juicer? Does the Lite-On firmware have any kind of generic “reset to factory default” command that might be triggered somewhere?

[QUOTE=geno888;2215731]ImgBurn tries always to calculate the best position for the LB when you burn a DL disc. This calculation is done automatically every time you try to burn a DL disc in “Build” mode.[/QUOTE]
Hmm… I haven’t explored Build mode yet. I had stumbled onto a guide to using pgcedit for that and was trying to follow it, but couldn’t get it working properly (possibly due to running under WINE). Maybe I’ll check out how ImgBurn handles it. In any event, the discs burned with growisofs built from genisoimage mostly seem to handle the split just fine, though I did have one disc that hung my standalone player on the split. I thought that might just have to do with burning at the speed limit of the media, and haven’t seen the problem since. But maybe I’ll play around some more with ImgBurn and see how that works.

I don’t know if the calculation is done also when you try to burn an ISO file.

From the wording of the error message ImgBurn popped up, it sounds like the location of the layer split is coded into the IFO’s inside the ISO. So I don’t know if ImgBurn would adjust this if you’re feeding it an already-mastered ISO. But then growisofs seems to manage this somehow, so who knows?

As always with optical storage, I’m amazed at how much complexity there is under the hood. Most other OS and application functions are really much simpler than they initially appear. But optical storage always seems like just the opposite.

You’ll probably find that growisofs doesn’t even bother checking for a correctly aligned layer break position.

You’d be better off rebuilding the image using ImgBurn in Build mode and burning it that way.