Linux and ATI VGA

vbimport

Hello everybody :slight_smile:

Some time ago I tried to install Linux on an old machine with an ATI card, but I never was able to test that installation because that specific card (an ATI X1600 Pro) always refused to work. The graphic desktop was never shown because it always crashed, and the only thing I got was a black screen with a blinking cursor :doh:

After some readings, I found that ATI cards were not supported by Linux at that time. So I gave up.

However, I’m still curious, so I wonder if also today ATI cards are not fully supported by Linux.

I’d like to know if there is someone that currently use Linux and an ATI card. How difficult it was to install the drivers? There is a distro that can make ATI cards working out of the box? Is it possible to use Compiz? And, the most important question for me, what about fullHD playback?

There is a specific ATI model that should be avoided in Linux because it doesn’t work?

TIA :slight_smile:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

It works although somewhat poorly afaik and this seems to confirm it.

Video acceleration doesn’t exist for X1***-series unless it’s MPEG-2 so you need to step up to Radeon 3***-series (at least) but you’ll have better luck in general with Intel’s integrated video (G45 or better) or nVidia.

If you want to run unix you’re most likely better off trying OS X although it’s illegal unless you have a Mac but its much better in all ways. =)

//Danne

Thanks for answers :slight_smile:

Currently, in my (very poor :o experience until now) with Linux, all the nvidia cards I used worked out of the box, with no pain trying to install external drivers.

But some ATI cards seems (based on reviews I read) to be better about power consumption and performance. And are also available at a lower price :doh:

My main usage is watching movies, I really don’t play games (except for freecell :bigsmile:)

It seems that the best compromise between price and performance for this is the ATI Radeon 5450. Another advantage of this card is that has passive cooling, so no noise :bigsmile:

If you can suggest an nvidia equivalent (or better) with passive cooling (possibly but not an absolute must) and with a decent price, I’ll be happy :bigsmile:

Uhm, according to Google this is (usually) an AGP card which are quite rare these days.
//Danne

I found that card here and is shown as PCI-e, not AGP.

Also the price is not really ugly :bigsmile:

My main usage is watching movies, I really don’t play games (except for freecell )

It seems that the best compromise between price and performance for this is the ATI Radeon 5450. Another advantage of this card is that has passive cooling, so no noise
Then integrated graphics (IGP) seems to be the better option. And the cheaper one.

Michael

I meant the X1600 Pro or are we talking about another computer now?
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2496227]I meant the X1600 Pro or are we talking about another computer now?
//Danne[/QUOTE]

oops, sorry, my mistake :doh:

Indeed the X1600 Pro is an AGP card.

When I mentioned the 5450 I missed the “little” detail that it is not an AGP card :o:o:o