Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS?

vbimport

I’m planning to buy a new router, I need a new one REALLY bad, my current one is outdated and a piece of crap. Anyhows, I found the WRT54GS on sale for $59.99 at Best Buy and that’s the most I’m payin’ for a router. Supposedly the “S” stands for SpeedBooster and your supposedly able to “Surf and share up to 35% faster than with standard wireless g”. Is this 35% crap real or BS? Should I just get the regular model or this “S” model with SpeedBooster? What’s your guys’ experiences and suggestions? All ideas and thoughts are welcome. Thanks fellow Freaks!

I would not buy the WRT54G neither the WRT54GS. The Speedboost feature is only useful if your other WLAN devices are also speedboost capable.

Today the WRT54G and the WRT54GS are limited in FLASH and RAM.

In the good old days the WRT54G had 4MB FLASH and 16MB RAM (until Hardware version 4.0). The current versions has only 2MB RAM and 8MB FLASH. This may be not enough to run an open source system like DD-WRT or OPEN WRT or an other system on your router.
The WRT54GS had 8MB FLASH and 32MB RAM until hardware version 3.0, version 4.0 had 4MB flash and 8MB RAM and all newer version has only 2MB FLASH and 16MB RAM. The advantage of the early GS models was the larger RAM and FLASH.

If you’d like to use an open source system I’d recommend the WRT54GL. This router has 4MB FLASH and 16MB RAM. There also is a “T-Online version” with 8MB FLASH and 32MB RAM. But I do not know where to get this actually.

You can find more information here:

What you want is an Asus WL-500g Premium (V1 and not V2).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320008
Really nice router and lots of third party software.
Think of it as a WRT54GL on steroids (its actually better at everything compared to the WRT54GL).
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2023304]What you want is an Asus WL-500g Premium (V1 and not V2).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320008
Really nice router and lots of third party software.
Think of it as a WRT54GL on steroids (its actually better at everything compared to the WRT54GL).
//Danne[/QUOTE]Danne it looks like a crappy Netgear router but i will take your word for it :flower:

If you want a simple NAS (you can attach USB HDDs to it), ability to have very good QoS (fast up- and downloads), FTP etc its a very good router for its price.
//Danne

Linksys is now supporting the dd-wrt firmware so it won’t void warranty, which is really cool, you might want to look into that. The Asus WL-500g will also support the fw but will void warranty, although has more options. I would get either one of the Linksys or Asus, all are good options. D-Link and Netgear fell off the market in terms of reliability in my opinion.

Why would you get the Linksys over the Asus, doesnt make any sense at all.
DD-WRT is also a very bad firmware which doesnt even comply with GPL and it [B]will[/B] for sure void your warranty (for obvious reasons), check the Wiki if you dont belive me.
You’re better off using X-WRT or Tomato.
//Danne

@Diizzy

I never mentioned to get either router over the other, please read my post carefully.
Also, please stay on topic, and keep in mind firmware suggestions as well as routers themselves are opinionated and from a self point reference. No need to forcefully suggest one over the other.

No, but I prefer to at least give the user correct information as much as I can (yours isn’t unless NewMedia-NET GmbH omits it everywhere in their documentation as it clearly says that it voids warranty). As for WRT54G/GS discuission you have a very good table here
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47124 which shows that pretty much both models sadly are quite bad compared to older revisions. Keep in mind that Speedboost only works if your other Wifi devices have Broadcom chipsets which supports Speedboost.
//Danne

Thanks everyone for all your input. I been reading alot about Linksys and the majority says screw 'em. It seems like most everybody has big problems with the wireless connection dropping with these cheap routers, but wired it seems like no problem. I don’t need anything special, I jus have a desktop and a laptop. I just want something stable that won’t drop my connection every 20 minutes or whatever and something that I don’t have to consistently upgrade firmware on just to get it working. So what should I go with? Asus? Belkin? Netgear? I don’t need anything fancy and cosmetics aren’t a concern for me, as long as it does it’s job, like it’s suppost to. Thanks again everyone for ur time.

I’ve installed a bunch of Asus WL-500g Premiums ([B]non V2[/B]) both at friends and at my parents place and I have yet to see one reboot by itself or do something odd. Most have been running for around 100-180 days now including P2P etc. They all run X-WRT firmware with some minor tweaking (QoS running etc).
//Danne

…or you could get the D-Link DIR-655 which is a good performance router but its quite limited to just doing that compared to the Asus WL-500g Premium.
//Danne

Any idea how good the Asus 500g Premium V2 is?

Why are you guys so specific about using the non V2?

Because V2 is worse, slower CPU and onboard WLAN and isnt supported as good as V1.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware#head-34991459c386514e56db26b0f51743ce57d27af1
//Danne

[QUOTE=Robert De Niro;2025502]Thanks everyone for all your input. I been reading alot about Linksys and the majority says screw 'em. It seems like most everybody has big problems with the wireless connection dropping with these cheap routers, but wired it seems like no problem. I don’t need anything special, I jus have a desktop and a laptop. I just want something stable that won’t drop my connection every 20 minutes or whatever and something that I don’t have to consistently upgrade firmware on just to get it working. So what should I go with? Asus? Belkin? Netgear? I don’t need anything fancy and cosmetics aren’t a concern for me, as long as it does it’s job, like it’s suppost to. Thanks again everyone for ur time.[/QUOTE]

I know you wrote this a while back but I’d like to add my 2 cents on the wrt54gs, which I’ve been using for 3 years now. Mine has been on for 3 years, 24hours a day, 7 days a week. In that time, it stopped working completely one time, doesn’t support hacked/modified firmware, and over heats at least once a week.

It is in a place where it has lots of air circulation and doesn’t drop out “every 20 minutes.”

I’ve thought quite frequently about getting a new router but am going to wait until this one kicks the bucket. 3 years strong, though not perfect and not without a couple of hickups but for the 40 dollars I paid at walmart a few years ago, it gets the job done.

I’m not an expert like the above posters but I can speak from personal experience.

Currently, it supports my ps3 wifi, my laptop via wifi, and two desktops through cables. From time to time I also run psps on it and never have any problems in that aspect, also sharing a 5mb connection.

-PEACE-

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2070741]Because V2 is worse, slower CPU and onboard WLAN and isnt supported as good as V1.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware#head-34991459c386514e56db26b0f51743ce57d27af1
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Thanks Danne, one last question.
Do you think it is better to spend another $20 more and get the Wl-500W (N Draft) router than to get the V2?

The reviews for the router are really mixed (not sure if they are with 3rd party firmware or not though).

Mayank

Though call, while I still can get hold of a few V1s here in Sweden (and in Denmark) they are about gone nowdays… :frowning:
Anyhow, WL-500W is the same router but with another WLAN-card while 500gP V2 has another design and a slower CPU. OpenWRT seems to have support for both (somewhat) although 500gP V2 seems like its running fine if you get a new snapshot while 500W needs a bit more tweaking. While I can do both I guess you have to ask yourself how much knowledge in Linux/Unix you have if you want to run Open/X-WRT (at all). Out of the box I’d say WL-500W if you’ll stay with Asus stock firmware.
//Danne