Linksys E2500 wont Connect with Xbox360...ARGH

vbimport

ok, so everything was hunky dory with my old router, well that took a dump the other day. so i went out and bought a new linksys dual band e2500. now, everything is fantastic on my pcs and phones… but the other day I said, hmm, i havent tried my xbox yet. then i remembered the horrors of setting it up on my original router too… sure enough i cant get anything to work on my 360. I know there are certain settings i need to setup on my router AND my 360 but i dont know what they are exactly…and i am NO networking wizz… so some of the instructions ive found online are over my head (unless they had a picture attached) :smiley:

can anyone help me with easy to follow instructions on how to set my new equipment up? i even reset my xbox network settings back to default thinking that would help…

thanks SO much in advance!

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2603500]ok, so everything was hunky dory with my old router, well that took a dump the other day. so i went out and bought a new linksys dual band e2500. now, everything is fantastic on my pcs and phones… but the other day I said, hmm, i havent tried my xbox yet. then i remembered the horrors of setting it up on my original router too… sure enough i cant get anything to work on my 360. I know there are certain settings i need to setup on my router AND my 360 but i dont know what they are exactly…and i am NO networking wizz… so some of the instructions ive found online are over my head (unless they had a picture attached) :smiley:

can anyone help me with easy to follow instructions on how to set my new equipment up? i even reset my xbox network settings back to default thinking that would help…

thanks SO much in advance![/QUOTE]
You cant do it. You have to have your Xbox hard wired to the router. The reason being that you cannot put [B]Cisco Connect[/B] on the Xbox

but there are videos left and right about setting up linksys routers for xbox live… port forwarding and all that… still cant do it?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874/

just found that a little bit ago too… thanks tho for the help. we’ll see how this goes…

no dice…still nothing (at least for wireless)… ive gotten it to at least connect to LIVE with a WIRED ONLY connection but ONLY with an AUTOMATIC IP config.Which doesnt help with port forwarding does it? Which i need to play multiplayer games, right? The wired setup doesnt make sense to me why i couldnt at least manually configure an IP address for it… any ideas?

The wireless setup is a little more complicated I think since I am trying to use a Netgear WGE111 with my xbox. I used it fine with my old router before I replaced it with my new e2500. but I vaguely remember my brother in law having to do some crazy backdoor stuff to it to make it work (or at least it seemed backdoor-ish)… which i know nothing about. any ideas on that front too?

what i really need is a step by step instruction manual laid out in laymens terms to get this going i think… ive already watched like 10 youtube videos on how to setup port forwarding and all of that… but something isnt jiving anymore. ideas??

thanks much in advance!

Can’t you just enable uPNP in the router? It should solve all the port forwarding problems.

i guess my question is, how do i know if i am having port forwarding problems? xbox doesnt exactly tell me what the issue is… i mean, when im wired, everything seems fine (havent tried multiplayer yet tho)… but for some reason wireless aint working… so will enabling uPNP fix that you think you think? or do you think there might be something else jacked up?

You can always test your connection via the Xbox itself. It’s somewhere in the settings menu.
There is also a School of Xbox video regarding NAT explaining it.

uPNP will try and recognize all available possibilities. You can read all about it on Wikipedia.

no dice… not sure what else to do… argh!! so frustrating… i literally know nothing (well almost nothing) about the ins and outs of networking so i am trying to follow these videos and webpages about configuring this thing, but no luck… damnit!

Hmm, a nice challenge. Haven’t had those in a while. :slight_smile:

OK, well let’s take this one baby step at a time, not meant to insult, but to be easy going, patient and clear to all of us.

I can’t promise a direct response to everything, since my time is very limited sometimes.

First we need some details about your network topology and your knowledge level.

Please answer yes or no or “i don’t know” with some details, on all the items below. There is no need for shame if you have no clue. If there is anything you do not understand, feel free to comment on it.

• You have a cable or adsl internet subscription model

• You have a cable or adsl internet modem

• That modem is directly connected to the linksys E2500 by using an utp network cable.

• The linksysE2500 connects your pc’s by using utp network cables.

• There are no computers connected via the wifi wireless network.

• All the pc’s can internet perfectly.

• Your XBox 360 model is the latest piano black Xbox 360 S with a built in WiFi wireless network adapter.

• You know how to access the LinkSys E2500 web configuration page

• You know the login name, password of the Linksys E2500 web configuration page. Do NOT post the password itself!. Nobody on the internet needs to know your password. Do not post passwords ever.

• You know the SSID of the Wifi Network part of the Linksys E2500

• You know the password of the Wifi Network part of the Linksys E2500. Do NOT post the password itself!. Nobody on the internet needs to know your password. Do not post passwords ever.

• You know the security type of the Wifi Network part of the Linksys E2500

• You are able to draw a picture on how all devices are connected

• You are able to draw a picture on how you wished all devices are connected

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2604019]Hmm, a nice challenge. Haven’t had those in a while. :slight_smile:

OK, well let’s take this one baby step at a time, not meant to insult, but to be easy going, patient and clear to all of us.

I can’t promise a direct response to everything, since my time is very limited sometimes.

First we need some details about your network topology and your knowledge level.

Please answer yes or no or “i don’t know” with some details, on all the items below. There is no need for shame if you have no clue. If there is anything you do not understand, feel free to comment on it.

• You have a cable or adsl internet subscription model YES

• You have a cable or adsl internet modem YES

• That modem is directly connected to the linksys E2500 by using an utp network cable. YES

• The linksysE2500 connects your pc’s by using utp network cables. NO - All Wireless

• There are no computers connected via the wifi wireless network. NO

• All the pc’s can internet perfectly. YES

• Your XBox 360 model is the latest piano black Xbox 360 S with a built in WiFi wireless network adapter. NO - Original 360

• You know how to access the LinkSys E2500 web configuration page YES

• You know the login name, password of the Linksys E2500 web configuration page. Do NOT post the password itself!. Nobody on the internet needs to know your password. Do not post passwords ever. YES. The Password is… j/k.

• You know the SSID of the Wifi Network part of the Linksys E2500 YES

• You know the password of the Wifi Network part of the Linksys E2500. Do NOT post the password itself!. Nobody on the internet needs to know your password. Do not post passwords ever. YES

• You know the security type of the Wifi Network part of the Linksys E2500 I THINK SO

• You are able to draw a picture on how all devices are connected PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN BY HOW THEY ARE CONNECTED. They are all wireless.

• You are able to draw a picture on how you wished all devices are connected YES [/QUOTE]

My overall computer knowledge I would say is above average… im just a little clueless on the inner workings of setting up and networking things… but I understand IP addresses and gateways and things. But when you get into the admin section of a router there are so many settings and possible outcomes, i wouldnt know if something is setup right. But as it is right now, EVERYTHING except my 360 works flawlessly wireless.

Thanks for the help.

Okay, next step is to analyze the answers and ask new questions :slight_smile:

• You have a cable or adsl internet subscription model YES
  • You have a cable or adsl internet modem YES
  • That modem is directly connected to the linksys E2500 by using an utp network cable. YES
    So far so good. Just default stuff.
  • The linksysE2500 connects your pc’s by using utp network cables. NO - All Wireless
    Aha everything is wireless then.
  • Your XBox 360 model is the latest piano black Xbox 360 S with a built in WiFi wireless network adapter. NO - Original 360
    Righto. The white first Xbox 360? It does not have Wireless by default. You have the original Xbox white usb WiFi adapter installed at the back of the Xbox?
  • You know the security type of the Wifi Network part of the Linksys E2500 I THINK SO
    With this i meant the correct password schematic. Usually it is WPA2-TKIP or WPA.
  • You are able to draw a picture on how all devices are connected PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN BY HOW THEY ARE CONNECTED. They are all wireless.
    Such a picture would look something like this:

• You are able to draw a picture on how you wished all devices are connected YES
    Excellent.

Next set of questions:

Do you know the speed of your wireless network? Usually it’s 11, 54 or 300mpbs.
Do you know the WiFi protocols enabled? Usually 802.11a/b/g or /n
Do you know the channel of your wireless network? Usually 7 or automatic.
Do you know how many devices can connect to the Linksys at the same time?
Do you know the signal strength of the wireless network?
Do you know the current energy saving settings of the Linksys?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2604143]

Righto. The white first Xbox 360? It does not have Wireless by default. You have the original Xbox white usb WiFi adapter installed at the back of the Xbox? NO. I dont have the Xbox wifi adapter. I am using a netgear wge111. I posted that a few msgs earler and I THINK that is where the trouble is coming from. It WAS configured to work with my old router and 360 but since the new router showed up, its not working anymore.Along that same note, I can’t even get the bridge to work on with my desktop. So I’m wondering if its not compatible with the Linksys router. I had to replace my old Usb Trendnet adapter for my desktop since I couldnt get that to connect either.

With this i meant the correct password schematic. Usually it is WPA2-TKIP or WPA. Im pretty sure its WPA.

Next set of questions:

Do you know the speed of your wireless network? Usually it’s 11, 54 or 300mpbs.150mpbs (pretty sure)
Do you know the WiFi protocols enabled? Usually 802.11a/b/g or /n N router but the netgear bridge is a G
Do you know the channel of your wireless network? Usually 7 or automatic. Not sure. How do I find out?
Do you know how many devices can connect to the Linksys at the same time? Always at least my laptop. 1 Cell phone occassionally. Xbox (when it worked). 1 Desktop (when i want it to)
Do you know the signal strength of the wireless network? I get full bars…
Do you know the current energy saving settings of the Linksys? No. How do I find that out?[/QUOTE]

See above.

Thanks again for the help!

Hi there, hope you had a good weekend.

You have the original Xbox white usb WiFi adapter installed at the back of the Xbox? NO. I dont have the Xbox wifi adapter. I am using a netgear wge111. I posted that a few msgs earler and I THINK that is where the trouble is coming from.

This netgear thing is a USB adapter that you plugged into the Xbox 360 ?
Or is this some wifi router you plugged into the Xbox 360 with a utp cable?

It WAS configured to work with my old router and 360 but since the new router showed up, its not working anymore.Along that same note, I can’t even get the bridge to work on with my desktop. So I’m wondering if its not compatible with the Linksys router.
I think we can safely assume it is not compatible in anyway with other devices than its own brand.

With this i meant the correct password schematic. Usually it is WPA2-TKIP or WPA. Im pretty sure its WPA.
WPA is the easiest to hack these days. It takes a decent computer about 4 seconds to hack your password. I strongly recommend checking if all your wireless hardware can handle WPA2-TKIP.

150mpbs (pretty sure)
That’s wireless N in hafl. The usual speed when you’re working with USB adapter.

N router but the netgear bridge is a G
Your router must have also G enabled then.

Do you know the channel of your wireless network? Usually 7 or automatic. Not sure. How do I find out?
Not really important as long as the signal is strong.

Do you know how many devices can connect to the Linksys at the same time? Always at least my laptop. 1 Cell phone occassionally. Xbox (when it worked). 1 Desktop (when i want it to)
That cell phone, is that Wifi?
Do you know the current energy saving settings of the Linksys? No. How do I find that out?

Pretty good weekend. Thanks for asking.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2604459]Hi there, hope you had a good weekend.

This netgear thing is a USB adapter that you plugged into the Xbox 360 ?
Or is this some wifi router you plugged into the Xbox 360 with a utp cable? Its called a “Wireless Bridge” I think. But it plugs in the ethernet port of the 360. http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WGE111-Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B000637RGQ

I think we can safely assume it is not compatible in anyway with other devices than its own brand. I’ll have to check but I THINK my old router was a D-link tho, and not a NetGear

WPA is the easiest to hack these days. It takes a decent computer about 4 seconds to hack your password. I strongly recommend checking if all your wireless hardware can handle WPA2-TKIP. I’ll check on that. Does the 360 support WPA2-TKIP? When it asked for a router key i think it only offered WPA as an option.

That’s wireless N in hafl. The usual speed when you’re working with USB adapter. I assume you meant “half”. But that makes sense.

Your router must have also G enabled then. I’m pretty sure it is. But i’ll see if i can check. Not sure how tho.

Not really important as long as the signal is strong.

That cell phone, is that Wifi? Yes when I make it so.
Do you know the current energy saving settings of the Linksys? No. How do I find that out?[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for the help. Gears 3 comes out tomorrow… Guess I’m rocking the wired console! :doh:

on a side note. I just saw this posted on amazon.com. one of the reviews posted on there…if only!

[I]This review is from: Netgear WGE111 54 Mbps Wireless Game Adapter (Personal Computers)[/I]
"Bought this to use with my Xbox 360. If you use security then you have to set it up on your PC first, then it just plugs into the 360. Needs its own power block though, unlike the Microsoft one.

Has worked flawlessly since connecting to the 360."

Aha, a Wireless bridge device. It’s starting to make all sense now. I’m sorry that i didn’t see that earlier :slight_smile:

First of all, did you upgrade it to the latest firmware available?

It’s not working at all now, right? Then i think it’s best to get it back to its factory default settings. See the manual if you can do this with some kind of little button on the device itself.

Your WGE111 is capable of 54Mbps at max. So make sure you have a Wireless-G network (802.11G) enabled in your wireless [b]router/b]. That wireless router is either built in your modem (your modem has antennas) or directly connected to your modem. I sure hope its builtin, because if it is not, it will make things more difficult. Also make sure your wireless router accepts new incoming wireless devices (after it all works you can disable this again). Usually you can configure all this inside the webbrowser configuration page of your wireless router.

After that, try the configuration utility. You will probably be required to connect your WGE111 to your computer via a UTP cable for a while. See the manual for more information. It’s probably accessible at some ip adress like 192.168.0.1 or something. Your network interface card (NIC) inside your pc might need a static ip address for a while.

You should be able to connect it to your wireless router by searching for the correct SSID (your wireless router) and typing in the correct passkey.

Then you need to open up a few ports on the device in order to have a good Xbox Live connection.
If you can enable uPNP inside both the wireless router and WGE111, then use uPNP instead of opening up ports. The Xbox 360 is uPNP compatible. I am not sure if this will work as it should be, because i don’t know if the uPNP information is also “bridged-along-wirelessly”. If it fails, open up the ports as described below instead:

The Xbox Live service uses UDP ports 88 and 3074 as well as TCP port 3074. Should be open for both in and outbound communication.

Next, check if those ports are also open on your wireless router as well.

Next save all the changes and make sure the WGE111 can find your wireless network perfectly.

Then disconnect it from your pc and connect it to your inactivated Xbox 360. Next power on the 360. Check your wireless router if you see the WGE111 connecting to it.

If this all works, secury both your router and WGE11 device. Change the admin/root passwords to something other than the default password. Do not allow new devices to connect automatically to your wireless network as well.

This is alot to take in… here we go.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2604826]Aha, a Wireless bridge device. It’s starting to make all sense now. I’m sorry that i didn’t see that earlier :slight_smile:

First of all, did you upgrade it to the latest firmware available? I have not. I will do that tonight tho. I may have awhile ago tho since its so old. I dont remember.

It’s not working at all now, right? Then i think it’s best to get it back to its factory default settings. See the manual if you can do this with some kind of little button on the device itself. I have reset it already to default. But I might as well do it again and start all over.

Your WGE111 is capable of 54Mbps at max. So make sure you have a Wireless-G network (802.11G) enabled in your wireless [b]router/b]. That wireless router is either built in your modem (your modem has antennas) or directly connected to your modem. My wireless router is separate from the my modem (provided by Time Warner). I sure hope its builtin, because if it is not, it will make things more difficult. Also make sure your wireless router accepts new incoming wireless devices (after it all works you can disable this again). Usually you can configure all this inside the webbrowser configuration page of your wireless router. Pretty sure it does since my laptop setup fine. Where would I look to find out tho?

After that, try the configuration utility. You will probably be required to connect your WGE111 to your computer via a UTP cable for a while. See the manual for more information. It’s probably accessible at some ip adress like 192.168.0.1 or something. Your network interface card (NIC) inside your pc might need a static ip address for a while.I’ve hooked it up to my desktop and it finds the bridge fine. it just doesnt connect to the router tho. I THINK ive set it up right (im using the above utility as well) but it just doesnt want to connect to the router. That I think would be the first step in getting this thing to work right. If I cant even get it to work on a decktop pc, chances are it aint gonna work with the 360, right?

You should be able to connect it to your wireless router by searching for the correct SSID (your wireless router) and typing in the correct passkey. Hasnt worked correctly yet.

Then you need to open up a few ports on the device in order to have a good Xbox Live connection. I’ve done this in port forwarding using many online tutorials ive seen for xbox live setups. But most tell me to assign an IP for my xbox, which i also think creates a new problem on that end.
If you can enable uPNP inside both the wireless router and WGE111, then use uPNP instead of opening up ports. I know its enabled on my E2500 router, not sure about teh WGE111 tho.Will check tonight. The Xbox 360 is uPNP compatible. I am not sure if this will work as it should be, because i don’t know if the uPNP information is also “bridged-along-wirelessly”. If it fails, open up the ports as described below instead:

The Xbox Live service uses UDP ports 88 and 3074 as well as TCP port 3074. Should be open for both in and outbound communication.

Next, check if those ports are also open on your wireless router as well. Those and more are setup. But like I said, they forward to an assigned IP which is also creating another issue.

Next save all the changes and make sure the WGE111 can find your wireless network perfectly.

Then disconnect it from your pc and connect it to your inactivated Xbox 360. Next power on the 360. Check your wireless router if you see the WGE111 connecting to it.

If this all works, secury both your router and WGE11 device. Change the admin/root passwords to something other than the default password. Do not allow new devices to connect automatically to your wireless network as well.[/QUOTE]

I think the first step should be, find out if this “bridge” can even connect to my router thru a regular pc, right? as of right now, i cant even get that to work. But, i will try it all out tonight and see where i can go with the above info.

Btw, I couldnt find any section in the router configuration to “enable” G access like you suggested. It says on the box that it IS backward compatible, but i didnt see a setting for it…if that helps.

Thanks again.

by the way my router is WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode.
is that ok?