Limit wi-fi connection to ONE application

vbimport

Hi,
I have a Win7 desktop computer which has both a wi-fi and a cabled connection. I want the wi-fi connection to be used by one application only (virtualbox) while the other apps should use the cabled one. How could I do that easily?
(I have Comodo firewall and tried to use the Network Zones without success…)

I haven’t used VirtualBox, but with e.g. VMWare it’s possible to bind the virtual network interface to a specific network card such as the Wi-Fi card. Perhaps this is possible in the VirtualBox settings too?

The other applications running on Windows 7 should use whichever interface Windows thinks is best, which is probably the first interface that was active during boot (probably LAN) - at least that’s how it works under Windows XP. It should be determined by the routing tables which can be queried and changed with the ROUTE command in a command prompt.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2570363]I haven’t used VirtualBox, but with e.g. VMWare it’s possible to bind the virtual network interface to a specific network card such as the Wi-Fi card. Perhaps this is possible in the VirtualBox settings too?[/QUOTE]Yes, it is. In Virtual Box network settings (these are per virtual machine), “Bridged” must be selected. Then a physical network interface can be assigned.

Michael

I know, but this way the host OS can still use that connection. I want to dedicate the NIC to virtualbox only.

You could try disabling the Wi-Fi connection in Windows 7 and see if the virtual machine can still use the hardware. It’s not something I can test for you here, so I don’t know if it will work.

http://forum.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=170326