Lightspeed laptop

vbimport

i want a laptop for general uses but i’m also considering buying one built for gaming, hd movie watching and editing, and fast downloading.i want to spend as little as i can but at the same time i’m wiling to shell out the big bucks if it’s very fast and for the aforementioned specs.

for me, speed is key because it saves time and time is money and i use a computer so it’s lots of time and lots of time is lots of money. know what i mean? i dont know if it exists, but i’m looking for a lightspeed situation so i never have to wait, whether for starting up the computer, opening programs, switching folders, surfing the internet, etc… if i cant get lightspeed i’ll settle for rush hour speed. call me a speed freak.

i’m thinking of getting a desktop computer if it’s much faster, much cheaper, or is much better for the aforementioned specs. like everything i talked about before, i know nothing about it in comparison to you guys, so please help me out.

i dont mind buying something used and i’d prefer it if its cheaper as long as it has or i still can purchase a long warranty

i appreciate any and all the help you guys give me.

steve

Laptops aren’t made for gaming unless you count Solitare as gaming and the screens are very limited for video editing.
//Danne

Well this one would be nice, if you can afford it:

MSI GX740-079US NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 17.0" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 $1400

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz)
Screen 17"
Memory Size 4GB DDR3
Hard Disk 500GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Video Memory 1GB DDR5
Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 15.56" x 10.95" x 1.37"
Weight 7.04 lbs.

If you want to double the RAM and have a full HD screen, go for this one: ASUS G Series G73JH-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 17.3" 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

@ dizzy: what do u mean all laptops aren’t made for gaming? once they have a decent video card doesn’t all gaming work on them?

the truth is, it’s very hard for me to make a decision on which computer to buy because everything we’re discussing is theoretical. i want to test the speed, gaming capabilities, video playback, etc… to actually see how fast it is. does anyone know a store, website, or youtube channel/video where i can do this at?

What you want to do is get a fast laptop then install a fast SSD drive for the OS and use the old internal drive as storage, it will then fly!

You can spend some time checking out the input of the folks over at [B]NotebookReview.com[/B]

http://forum.notebookreview.com/

One of the issues with notebooks is cooling. Even the “gaming” units will sometimes have a tendency to overheat. Maintenance is key to reducing the likelyhood of overheating.

Keeping vents clear and placement can play a big role to that end.

My “gaming” laptop (Gateway P-7805U) does all I want it to do. I’m not a gamer so I cannot confirm the gaming performance.

The users over at the above mentioned site will have input to that effect.

[QUOTE=techtic;2523573]@ dizzy: what do u mean all laptops aren’t made for gaming? once they have a decent video card doesn’t all gaming work on them?[/quote]Compared to their desktop pendants, laptop VGA is heavily stripped down, mainly because of power demands and cooling issues.
That said, a mobile Radeon 5870 is much, much slower than the desktop version of that chip.

anyone know a store, website, or youtube channel/video where i can do this at?
notebookreview.com

Michael

…and not to mention that it’s not really going to be “portable” and battery time is going to be very short.
//Danne

what do u guys think about eric’s suggestion about the ssd drive? it’s still much slower?

@ mciahel:what do u mean it’s stripped down? if the graphics work, whats the difference between a good one and a stripped one (forgive the ignorance)

[QUOTE=techtic;2524062]
@ mciahel:what do u mean it’s stripped down? if the graphics work, whats the difference between a good one and a stripped one (forgive the ignorance)[/QUOTE]The graphics will work (if the laptop manufacturer has made its homework properly).
The point is, despite the same name, a laptop VGA chip is much less powerful than the desktop version. Less shaders, lower core and RAM frequencies, less memory bandwith etc.

A top-class laptop VGA has only the power of a middle class desktop VGA (at best). So, gaming with a laptop isn’t much fun.

Michael

how about u other guys? you think laptop gaming is worse or pretty much the same as desktop gaming? and how about eric’s idea (fast laptop then install a fast SSD drive for the OS and use the old internal drive as storage) for general speed on the computer (which is more important than gaming to me)?

“The point is, despite the same name, a laptop VGA chip is much less powerful than the desktop version. Less shaders, lower core and RAM frequencies, less memory bandwith etc.”

ive played on my friends’ gaming laptops and theyve rocked, but ive never played on a desktop.

please help a newb just get a picture of what thats like because what you wrote is just words to me which i dont fully understand. is it slower? are the graphics worse? i appreciate your newb patience

btw guys i appreciate your help/ keep it coming

ok quick break in the conversation

this looks like it might take a little bit before i decide on a computer and in the meantime i’ve been borrowing my friends’ computers and it’s been mad annoying. so if you could just help me get a rush hour speed (not lightspeed) laptop in the meantime that i’d buy used on ebay for like 300-500$ before i get a laptop/desktop that’s crazy fast for crazy money i’d really appreciate it.

i think it’s worth it for me because even if i choose my lightspeed laptop in the next 2 weeks i’ll have a backup computer for when i need it. imo used comps on ebay is the cheapest way to go for a short-term computer (meaning i dont need a warranty on this one because it’s only for the next 2 months tops).

please dont give up on my crazy researching. trust me im going to spend a lot of money soon on what u guys are helping me with and im not wasting your time

Try offering $400 or $420 for this one Dell Inspiron 1545 on ebay

They’re quite nice for the money but except it to feel very cheap and have some things in mind. No HDD led (don’t ask me why), it will make cracking sounds if you lift it up (this is what you get for buying cheap laptops), no VT-d, it certainly wont be insanely fast (HDDs those are quite slow), no HDMI, you’ll need Dell-branded drivers as generic wont work out of the box or even with some hacking just to mention a few issues. But at that price its expected.
//Danne

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T61p-T7300-2-0GHz-100GB-15-4-WUXGA-WiFi-/220618500314?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item335de328da
If you need something temporary I would definitely get that one…

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T61p-6457-2-4GHz-4GB-160GB-Laptop-/170495816360?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item27b257b2a8
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lenovo-Intel-Core-2-Duo-2-1-GHz-15-6-T6500-320GB-4GB-/280518212385?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item4150303b21
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SEALED-MSI-A6200-Laptop-NOTEBOOK-Intel-Core-i5-NIB-/250647799111?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3a5bc5e547
http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-LENOVO-T61-7661-CT0-C2D-2-0Ghz-2048Mb-120Gb-/220616437897?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item335dc3b089
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Lenovo-G555-2-1GHz-3GB-160GB-Webcam-LED-Windows-7-/160442827426?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item255b2342a2
//Danne

[QUOTE=techtic;2524367]how about u other guys? you think laptop gaming is worse or pretty much the same as desktop gaming?[/QUOTE]

It depends on the games.

If you plan to play only rather old videogames (Command and Conquer Red Alert 2, Tiberian Sun, Freecell, etc) on a Windows based machine, a current model laptop is more than enough. But if you would rather like to play World of Warcraft or Crysis at full optimized specifications, you’re pretty much out of luck.

The base principle of a laptop is not having high cpu and graphics power, but a decent mobile workstation for office use.

On top of that: Laptops are pretty much not upgradable. You cannot put in a new video card or cpu most of the times. You can upgrade your harddisk and internal memory a little, but not much.

PC’s use cards like PCI Express. You have a lot of choice what kind of video card you can put in a pc. It’s pretty easy to upgrade. Therefore the normal pc is better suited for todays games.

…or rather anything that requires raw performance
//Danne

QUOTE=DiiZzY;2524821no VT-d, [/quote]missing option in Bios or CPU without VT support?
Apart from that, people who need to rely on existing and working VT support wouldn’t go for low-cost consumer hardware.
So I consider “no VT” as one of the features of low budget consumer laptops. Nothing wrong with that.

you’ll need Dell-branded drivers as generic wont work out of the box or even with some hacking just to mention a few issues.
I can’t confirm that.

Michael

Have a look at their sound drivers or video drivers for that matter :-/
As for VT-d, both…
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2524948]Have a look at their sound drivers or video drivers for that matter :-/[/quote]My Vostro 1500 runs with drivers that I grabbed directly from Nvidia.com
I agree with the sound drivers, but this is most likely due to the fact, the original manufacturer does not provide public downloads for their drivers.

As for VT-d, both…
Thanks. But again, this is low budget consumer class. So no biggie here. And most virtualisation software will still work. Good enough for non-professional application.

Michael