Lightscribe troubles

vbimport

First off my drive is connected to my computer with a IDA to USB adapter cable. The drive its self burns dvds and cds fine,but for some reason the light scribe will not work. I have ran the lightscribe diagnostic program and it says everything is fine. I have tried burning labels using the lightsccribe program and also the surething program,but have yet to get it to burn a label. The progress window shows the label as being burnt but when the cd is ejected nothing has been printed. I can’t hear the drive spinning or anything while this is being done.
I also have the newest lightscribe software installed.

Any ides?

I’m having problems also, but not the same one. Try downloading the very latest LightScribe [B]update[/B] from their site. Even if you already did, do it again and tell it to “Repair.”

It helped me temporarily with my excess blank inner border/margin and I’m going to try another one today. I’m disappointed that I have gotten zero responses on the [B]SureThing[/B] forum. Surely I’m not the only one that has ever had this happen?

The “Repair” may just straighten out some software conflict you are having.

I got a response from Lightscribe finally…they said the problem is probably due to me using a Internal drive as a external drive.

Can’t remember if I tried the “repair” option or not…,but I will.

Here I did one more reinstall (Samsung firmware update) and tried a new CD using the [B]LightScribe Template Gallery[/B] instead of SureThing. [I]SAME problem as before!!![/I] So the ‘repair’ and reinstall apparently is not going to solve my problem.

I just emailed LightScribe since both programs are doing it. Makes me think it is the LightScribe host software or the burner. I have an internal drive (not LightScribe) and this ‘new’ Samsung external DVD-rom.

It has done two out of 5 CD’s properly. The other 3 have that excess blank inner ring! My old PC is too old to try the Samsung on it. I wonder why they all haven’t been funky?

[QUOTE=rellimdr;2052925]I got a response from Lightscribe finally…they said the problem is probably due to me using a Internal drive as a external drive.

Can’t remember if I tried the “repair” option or not…,but I will.[/QUOTE]What difference would that make? Does the external enclosure have the wrong chip in it to make it not compatible?

I am using the Lacie 16x Lightscribe DL d2 DVDRW FWToast7 TIT together with Mac Book Pro. The OS is Vista.

I have been trying to print a label which inlcudes a substantial amount of black. The problem is that I am not getting the level of finish that I expect when I use the slowest option. Sometimes even the greys are poorly finished.

I am using the Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 and the SureThing CD Labeler Deluxe Trial 5 on Verbatim DVD discs.

I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

You could try going to http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/index.aspx and download their driver. It comes with the LightScribe control panel. There is an option to increase the contrast. It made a big difference on my label burns. It will, however, increase the time to burn the label.

I have done more uninstalling and reinstalling and downloaded the newest Samsung firmware update. I had previously downloaded the one that matched the number on the back of my drive, but the LightScribe tech said to use the most current one—which is [B]TS08[/B].

Now, I have gotten three labels to burn correctly since then, but I find I sometimes have to unplug my drive and then plug it back in. After a successful burn sometimes the PC does not recognize that drive.

[B] And I have also learned the trouble signs for when NOT to attempt a LightScribe label:[/B]

The LightScribe Control Panel finds no LS drive.
The LS Diagnostic Utility finds it, but not the media (when you definitely have a LS CD-R in it).
When I do [B]Print Preview[/B] with SureThing the excess image is not masked out/blank. If I were to proceed like that, it will freeze up.

But, so far, uplugging the Samsung drive and then plugging back in seems to be the fix along with those updates. This time I plugged it into the front of my PC to see if it makes any difference, but have no label to burn yet. I mainly use my internal drive for most other CD stuff, so I didn’t notice till yesterday that the external drive wasn’t being recognized again.

So, if unplugging now and then is the price I pay for my 50 cent LightScribe drive, it’s a bargain. I ALWAYS check in advance with the Control Panel and Diagnostic Utility now and then Print Preview.

Are you using the newest LS software?

[QUOTE=superflash;2076340]I have done more uninstalling and reinstalling and downloaded the newest Samsung firmware update. I had previously downloaded the one that matched the number on the back of my drive, but the LightScribe tech said to use the most current one—which is [B]TS08[/B].

Now, I have gotten three labels to burn correctly since then, but I find I sometimes have to unplug my drive and then plug it back in. After a successful burn sometimes the PC does not recognize that drive.

[B] And I have also learned the trouble signs for when NOT to attempt a LightScribe label:[/B]

The LightScribe Control Panel finds no LS drive.
The LS Diagnostic Utility finds it, but not the media (when you definitely have a LS CD-R in it).
When I do [B]Print Preview[/B] with SureThing the excess image is not masked out/blank. If I were to proceed like that, it will freeze up.

But, so far, uplugging the Samsung drive and then plugging back in seems to be the fix along with those updates. This time I plugged it into the front of my PC to see if it makes any difference, but have no label to burn yet. I mainly use my internal drive for most other CD stuff, so I didn’t notice till yesterday that the external drive wasn’t being recognized again.

So, if unplugging now and then is the price I pay for my 50 cent LightScribe drive, it’s a bargain. I ALWAYS check in advance with the Control Panel and Diagnostic Utility now and then Print Preview.[/QUOTE]
I do not have the hardware toubles thatb you describe; I use the most recent Roxio, Surething, and Lightscribe software and I still get poor results. For every satisfactory label I get two or three poor ones. The most problematic are the ‘black’ areas.

Also, why is Surething so slow in most things that I need from it?

Paul