Lightscribe recommendations

Hi,

I’d like a recommendation for an inexpensive but good lightscribe unit. I also have a few questions:

1.) How durable are lightscribe CDRs and how is their integrity? Are the Verbatim lightscribe CDRs as good as the standard TY premium blanks?

2.) Can I print a solid black surface with a lightscribe?

3/) How long does it take to make 1 CD using the lightscribe?

4.) I understand the images burned on the CDR can fade! How bad is this risk??

Thanks! :wink:

“Inexpensive” and “Lightscribe” are mutually exclusive terms. Consider inkjet if you plan to make more than a few discs.

Lightscribe: Expensive media, extremely limited contrast and image quality.

Inkjet: Inexpensive media, photo-quality image.

[QUOTE=CDan;2242239]“Inexpensive” and “Lightscribe” are mutually exclusive terms. Consider inkjet if you plan to make more than a few discs.

Lightscribe: Expensive media, extremely limited contrast and image quality.

Inkjet: Inexpensive media, photo-quality image.[/QUOTE]

Hi CDan,

Thanks I’ve been looking into inkjet printers, but the least expensive one (the Epson r280) seems to have some issues with clogging and something about the chips not working right. I’m on a tight budget. Can I really trust an r280 to do high volume printing?

I too am in the middle of this transition to Lightscribe, I just bought the disks - LG’s, and am currently going over my software. I hate going through these trial and error processes but it seems it’s the only way. I have Nero 7 (but of course it does not have the Lightscribe feature - so back to Nero 6). However, I found a free version called Lightscribe simple labeller, and on the same site is provided the LSS (Lightscribe System Software) -so I will try that first with Nero 7. If you have any idea how to get around bad sectors on a DVD (IE. using the remaining space I would greatly appreciate it). Also, do DVD-R’s suck or is it just me. I have bad luck with these and they should be trashed. Any ideas on the BEST MEDIA TO BUY would sure help me out.

A big problem with lightscribe disks is the time it takes to burn the labels.

On my BenQ 1655, it takes almost 30 minutes to burn a simple text label in high quality on the disk, and even longer if it contains graphics or a picture.

I’ve also had a large number of the burned labels start fading after a few days to weeks, and they continue to fade to the point where they can no longer be read.

[QUOTE=Atal;2242245]Hi CDan,

Thanks I’ve been looking into inkjet printers, but the least expensive one (the Epson r280) seems to have some issues with clogging and something about the chips not working right. I’m on a tight budget. Can I really trust an r280 to do high volume printing?[/QUOTE]

All hardware has issues. What printer might be right for you depends on your intended use and volume. It’s the cost of the ink that gets you, not the printer.

Most folks seem to wind up being disappointed with Lightscribe. Although it’s true that the only investment is a $30 burner and some media. Do the math on both systems and see what works.

I have lightscribe for a few years now. It isn’t expensive and very easy for simple labeling your discs.
I use now samsung 223q dvd writer and verbatim dvd-r and dvd+r.
When you want more colourfull labeling than you can better use printable media.