Lightscribe problem with I/O Magic SH-S202n External CDDVDW

vbimport

I have yet to be able to lightscribe a cd with this hardware. I am running Vista and continually get an error when trying to lightscribe. I am able to copy a cd and that is about it. I have installed the latest lightscribe system software and have tried various programs…Nero, Lightscribe Simple Labeler, etc. with no luck. Now, when I run the diagnostic lightscribe sofware I get error reading DRF Version…I am just not sure what that means. Previously, it said that the drive is functioning properly, although it would not lightscribe. Can anyone enlighten me as to what I can do to make this thing work?

Thanks

[QUOTE=milehigh52;2005013]I have yet to be able to lightscribe a cd with this hardware. I am running Vista and continually get an error when trying to lightscribe. I am able to copy a cd and that is about it. I have installed the latest lightscribe system software and have tried various programs…Nero, Lightscribe Simple Labeler, etc. with no luck. Now, when I run the diagnostic lightscribe sofware I get error reading DRF Version…I am just not sure what that means. Previously, it said that the drive is functioning properly, although it would not lightscribe. Can anyone enlighten me as to what I can do to make this thing work?

Thanks[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

Click on view with the diagnostic app and then click on Advanced. When you get to that click on Scan for LightScribe drives and media and see if it finds your drive that way. Post the results or a screen shot.

Also what firmware are you using?

[quote=milehigh52;2005013]I have yet to be able to lightscribe a cd with this hardware. I am running Vista and continually get an error when trying to lightscribe. I am able to copy a cd and that is about it. I have installed the latest lightscribe system software and have tried various programs…Nero, Lightscribe Simple Labeler, etc. with no luck. Now, when I run the diagnostic lightscribe sofware I get error reading DRF Version…I am just not sure what that means. Previously, it said that the drive is functioning properly, although it would not lightscribe. Can anyone enlighten me as to what I can do to make this thing work?

Thanks[/quote]

Posted by milehigh52
I have installed the latest lightscribe system software and have tried various programs…Nero, Lightscribe Simple Labeler, etc. with no luck.

Are you using Lightscribe Media? I know it sounds like a silly qustion but I have seen this happen before.:iagree:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2005029]Are you using Lightscribe Media? I know it sounds like a silly qustion but I have seen this happen before.:iagree:[/QUOTE]Good one Alan. You never know not being there :iagree:

Yeah, I am using lightscribe media…I have even tried to hook the drive up to an old computer running on XP and I get the same results. I am beginning to wonder if anyone has had any luck with this external drive. Perhaps I/O Magic needs to update their firmware.

Bob, when I do that it finds the drive, but it says no media detected and Error Reading DRF Version. So, I am a still where I was previously. Any other suggestions?

I’ll have to think on this more. In the mean time someone else might have a suggestion.

What is the error you get? What brand/MID are those blanks?

You in Kansas?

Thanks, Bob…really do appreciate your suggestions.

Moved to CD/DVD Printing and Labelling forum.

I am still unable to lightscribe. I am now at a total loss as to a solution. Has anyone had any luck with this external drive? If so, what did you do to get it to work with Vista?

When I try to lightscribe, I get “an error with the selected lightscribe drive has occured.” I guess the error is 4225. And, I am using HP Lightscribe media.

Oh, I am originally from Kansas…live in Indiana now.

[QUOTE=milehigh52;2006971]When I try to lightscribe, I get “an error with the selected lightscribe drive has occured.” I guess the error is 4225. And, I am using HP Lightscribe media.

Oh, I am originally from Kansas…live in Indiana now.[/QUOTE]
I live in SW Missouri and was just wondering. I got your PM.

Are you using 1.12.29.2 system software? Have you tried unplugging and plugging all the cable back in or switched cables?

Can you tell us exactly how you are doing this task please.

I don’t have Vi$ta i am still using XP Pro. I also don’t have a LS drive in an external enclosure.

If it does NOT work with other pc’s it’s probably not going to work at all.

Yeah, I am using the latest Lightscribe system software along with Lightscribe Simple Labeler. I simply load up the labeler and attempt to lightscribe the disc. But, I ALWAYS get an error. When I use the diagnostic tool, it says there is an error reading the DRF Version. What the hell does that mean? When I go to Advanced and search for a lightscribe drive, it does come up along with medial imaging parameter: 115. Not sure that helps you any in helping me solve this ongoing problem. Thanks again for any help you can give me.

What happens when you open the LightScribe Control Panel and click on the System Information tab? Does it show your LS drive?

Yeah, it shows the drive.

Have you looked around the Support page and FAQ’s? > http://www.lightscribe.com/support/index.aspx

I have tried FAQ. No luck there, either. I just send them a support request and will have to wait to see if they get back to me.

Not to promising when that drive does not work on 2 systems :frowning:

I have Sure thing CD Labeler Deluxe 5 here and get the same warnings you do with the diagnostic tool also…

Anyway i just used my BenQ 1655 to LS a disc for testing and here are the results.

I just don’t get it…when I first bought this drive and plugged it in, it was automatically recognized and assinged a drive letter. Now, it is now recognized at all…and, this happens with Vista as well as XP. I need some help, people. I have the latest BIOS and firmware. Could it be that my usb cable went bad??? Any suggestions are appreciated.