Lightscribe not being recognized

Did an aftermarket install of an HP PR595A LightScribe drive. Upon the install I went ahead and updated to the latest LightScribe API from the LightScribe Site (1.4.44.1, as seen here - bottom download link).

I also needed to update my Nero, so I did that as well to verson 6.6.0.18 (the latest, released 11/14/05, Monday).

There is also an update on the LightScribe page for aftermarket drives software, but it is XP only (I am Win2000, don’t care to upgrade to XP here until I have to). I have e-mailed HP’s tech about this to get an update for Win2000.

Problem:
I have not been able get Nero to regognize the drive as a LightScribe drive. I have not burnt on it yet, because it recognizes it only as a DVD+/-RW, CD-R/W, etc. There is no option for LightScribing anywhere. I need to know how I can get this thing to communicate as a LightScribe drive.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to CDFreaks Forum.

I have found this about Nero Lightscribe. Don’t know if you have tried this.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/188/9

Thank you jbv for the Welcome and the reply.

That’s article descibes somewhat what the problem is. Nero has no options in those places for LightScribe.

The best troubleshooting tip I have found for this is in the Nero help file where it says this:
“Your system must have a LightScribe capable drive. If this is not installed Nero Express will hide the LightScribe feature.”

I know that the drive is without question a LightScribe capable drive, and I have installed the 2 updates that I mentioned above.

So it is like Nero does not think it is a LightScribe drive.

Hi, here a reply from The Netherlands in Europe. I had the same problem with Lightscribe, but I have the answer.
First you have to go to the Event Viewer. In the Application Log you see the following error of LightSrcibe Service:

Win32 Error : Function: [HurricaneClientProxy::OpenCDROMDevice] Error opening class device \.\CDROM0 returned Win32 Error: 5 Description: Access is denied.

You can solve this problem as follows:

Choose Start > Run. Type “regedit” in the Open text box and then click OK.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\allocatecdroms

Change the valuation of 1 in 0

That’s it and LightScribe will work!

Djolondoro - thank you for the reply.

But, no such luck for me.
The Event Viewer showed no errors for the LigthScribe service in the Application Log.
I went ahead and checked the registry and set the value to 1 insted of 0 in the key you specified, but it changed nothing (and still no errors).

I did however find another problem, which is even more annoying.
If I insert an AUDIO CD, the drive will read, then reboot. I do have AutoPlay on, but it has never been a problem before. This drives predecessor was a Multi-Format DVD writer as well. If I leave the Audio CD in there during the reboot process, as soon as Windows starts to come into loading (like logging onto the network), it will reboot again, continuously, with the CD in the drive. It doesn’t do this with a data CD, and I am about to experiment with other types.

The Event Viewer does show errors on the System Log from the Source: atapi (the DVD-Rom drive of course). Description: The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.
It does this with the registry value I mentioned above set either way.

Should I start another thread?

Other notes:
The drive will read a VCD and play the audio and video with no problems.

I have put the drive on the cable as master and slave, with the same effects for both. I did a repair install of the latest LS .msi host file and it ran without problem.

I also successfully burned an audio CD in the drive first try without error. (Even though I couldn’t listen to it in that drive. :doh: )

Well… that did the trick for me! I was about to restore my image… this saved me days of reorganizing my PC. Thanks! Holland is great!

Groetjes,

Martin

Thats also worked for me, its only taken me a week to resolve and here
it was all along. Thanks Djolondoro. I have just finished my first ever label.
Nice.

I tried the regedit and no joy. But I searched around and found this update on Nero and now the Print Lightscribe logo appears on the smart start. http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/System_Requirement_Updates.html Scroll to bottom. Now to find some Lightscribe discs.

[QUOTE=Djolondoro;1177023]Hi, here a reply from The Netherlands in Europe. I had the same problem with Lightscribe, but I have the answer.
First you have to go to the Event Viewer. In the Application Log you see the following error of LightSrcibe Service:

Win32 Error : Function: [HurricaneClientProxy::OpenCDROMDevice] Error opening class device \.\CDROM0 returned Win32 Error: 5 Description: Access is denied.

You can solve this problem as follows:

Choose Start > Run. Type “regedit” in the Open text box and then click OK.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\allocatecdroms

Change the valuation of 1 in 0

That’s it and LightScribe will work![/QUOTE]

Worked for me! Thanks! Have HP 740b and all of a sudden Acoustica CD Labeler would not recognize my lightscribe drive.

Changed the value FROM 1 to 0 and rebooted. Lightscribe was immediately recognized when I opened Acoustica.