Lightscribe help (Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I had a hp 842 drive that I had used the lightscribe like once and then the drive died awhile later and I replaced the drive with the samsung sh203n. Now when I tried to use sonic it errors out and sends a report to MS. Sonic is the only all around burning software I have allthough I do have the dvd trio of IMGBURN, fab decrypter and dvd shrink. I just thought that I used Sonic to lightscribe before and now it won’t work. Do I have to get the sightscribe software or something? Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=shags72;2163014][qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I had a hp 842 drive that I had used the lightscribe like once and then the drive died awhile later and I replaced the drive with the samsung sh203n. Now when I tried to use sonic it errors out and sends a report to MS. Sonic is the only all around burning software I have allthough I do have the dvd trio of IMGBURN, fab decrypter and dvd shrink. I just thought that I used Sonic to lightscribe before and now it won’t work. Do I have to get the sightscribe software or something? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

You last statement is the truth you have to have the software that will burn to lightscribe media. Sonic if that is the software made by Sony or affliated I say get rid of it. My past experience with Sonic wasn’t the best to say caused more problem then it helped. I don’t know if the other software you have the lightscribe feature built into them but someone else might have more to add to that then me. I have Nero 6 that has lightscribe ablility but I don’t use it cause the media itself is more expensive then regular media. Also the DL media doesn’t have DL lightscribe media so I the investment is to costly for me. I rather just use a permanent marker to write on the cd/dvd media itself as I just need to write text nothing to fancy to read and identify the media. Also the quality of media you choose does affect on how good the burns are and the speed as well.

[QUOTE=shags72;2163014][qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Do I have to get the sightscribe software or something? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Getting the LightScribe System Software from www.lightscribe.com is important, if you don’t already have it installed.

I use SureThing for the odd occasion that I use LS, so that would be my preference over Sonic software.

I have used lightscribe before so I should (I would think) have it installed on my pc. Where would I get this sure thing and which lightscribe should I get? I have media center XP on my pc.

Latest LS System Software

Droppix Label Maker & SureThing trial versions

:slight_smile:

Hey I got it to work. I ended up uninstalling Sonic and I dled new ls software and then I remembered I had an oem version of Nero that I got with my sammy so I loaded that and it worked just fine. I appreciate the help Arachne. Still don’t understand what happenned to the Sonic labeler. I only used it about once or twice and then it just died. Now that I think about it the oem Hp dvd burner did too after I only used it about 5 times a year. Ah well all is well for now and again I say Thanks.

Glad you got it sorted! :clap:

Yeah, I personally don’t use Sonic anything on this PC as I’ve heard various Sonic softwares can cause a few problems.

The only reason I used it was it was loaded on the media center pc when I bought it. It seemed to work ok for backing up cds and the few times I lightscribed with it but for dvds I use imgburn and dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. So if there are problems from it I shouldn’t have them now! Thanks again.